Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Heralds travel section on Sunday did a reimagining of the 7 wonders of the world. They also had a list for Florida that I don't have in front of me. To take it step further, what would we consider the 7 Wonders of South Florida? These would be natural, architectural, historical, etc.

My preliminary list in no particular order - (* made the Florida list in the Herald article)

1) South Beach Art Deco District *
2) Fairchild Tropical Garden *
3) Stiltsville
4) Dade County Courthouse
5) Miami Circle
6) Hialeah Park Race Track
7) Carnaval Center

Others that might make my list:
Biscayne Bay/Biscayne National Park
Cape Florida state park and Light House
National Hurricane Center
Freedom Tower
Espirito Santo
Fontainebleau Hotel
The Biltmore

So what's your list?

·
Banned
579 Posts
1.miami beach (south beach)
2.viscaya, science museum
3. biscayne bay
4.everglades national park
5.freedom tower
6.the biltmore
7.cape coral lighthouse and beach

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
1. Vizcaya
2. Miami Beach (Art Deco District)
3. Coral Gables
4. Coral Mansion
5. Freedom Tower
6. Dade County Courthouse
7. Everglades Nat'l Park
8. Calle Ocho
9. Star Island
10. Biltmore Hotel

I couldn't decide on just 7, they're all good candidates.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You guys are too centered on Miami (which is fine, this is a Miami forum), but the title is "7 wonders of South Florida"... Surely there must be some wonders in Broward and Palm Beach County too. In fact, I can name a few.

For the historical wonders, I'll name the triple crown of resorts: Biltmore Resort in Coral Gables, Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, and Boca Raton Resort & Club. Also for historical:
Miami Circle
A pre-historical Burial Mound by the intracoastal in South Palm Beach County
Vizcaya
Pompano Harness Track
Stranahan House (Ft. Lauderdale)

Natural Wonders:
Mount Trashmore in Broward
Everglades
Biscayne Bay
Palmetto Sand Dunes
(et al)

Architectural Wonders:
CoralGables10 said it--> the Bank of America tower @ night (totally man)
South Beach Art Deco
The old international terminal @ MIA, with the cool lights on the moving walkway.
Las Olas Riverhouse
Dolphins Stadium/Orange Bowl (both equal contenders)
Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall (one of the 2 largest malls in the country, that merits it some architectural wonder)
(et al)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are too centered on Miami (which is fine, this is a Miami forum), but the title is "7 wonders of South Florida"... Surely there must be some wonders in Broward and Palm Beach County too. In fact, I can name a few.
You're right. I just couldn't think of any off hand.
I like your list though. I can't believe I left Vizcaya off of mine.

I'll collect the most popular choices and create a poll some time so we can decide it once and for all.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
NO ONE MENTIONED CORAL CASTLE

Coral Castle is truly a monument to the uniqueness of Miami! This attractions was built by a Latvian-born Miami resident named Ed Leedskalnin as a monument to his lover. After 28 years of effort, he introduced his 1100-ton coral creation to the world. It's a bit of a trip from downtown, but well worth the time.

I PERSONALLY LOVE THE FLAGLER BRIDGE IN THE KEYS

BAHIA HONDA
The area around Bahia Honda is one of the deepest channels in The Florida Keys. Bahia Honda is unique among other Keys because it has long sandy beaches and deep waters that offer excellent swimming and snorkeling. The park was originally part of Henry Flagler's railroad holding. Part of the railroad bridge still remains.

Snorkeling, swimming, fishing, camping, boat ramps.
Sand and Sea Nature Center
Nature trails, rare animal and plant life.
Located at Mile Marker 36, Big Pine Key, Florida.
(45 minutes from Key West).

·
Registered
198 Posts
My Top 7 Natural & Top 7 Man-Made Wonders

Seven Natural Wonders

1- Biscayne Bay
2- Everglades
3- Florida Keys
4- Miami River
5- New River
6- Silver Bluff in Coconut Grove
7- Lake Okeechobee

Seven Man-Made Wonders

1- South Beach Architectural District
2- Evolving Miami Skyline in its totality
3- Miami Circle
4- Cape Florida Lighthouse
5- Vizcaya
6- Seven Mile Bridge -- Old FEC Railroad to Sea Route
7- Charles Deering Estate in South Miami-Dade

The last one, the Charles Deering Estate can also qualify for a natural wonder. I took a tour a couple of years ago and discovered a 300 year old Live Oak with a native American Burial Mound at its base. It is amazing! Several archeological digs at this site have revealed a treasure trove of over 10,000 years ago and the native people that inhabited the banks of Biscayne Bay. If you have never been there, I urge you to Google the Charles Deering Estate and take a tour soon. It is one of our best kept secrets in South Florida. One last thing, Charles Deering was James Deering's Brother (Vizcaya). Charles Deering had his estate at what is now Bay Point just off Biscayne Blvd and about 42 street. As Miami grew, Charles Deering decided that it was too "Crowded" for his taste and he sold his land to the developers with a caveat that the exotic plants and trees not be destroyed, but transplanted to other parts of Miami. He then relocated to the town of Cutler and purchased what is now the Charles Deering Estate with the old Richmond Cottage and surrounding hammock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMO, "wonders" should have some specific local historic significance as well as be a unique achievement, and not simply be architectural wonders or historic places. So I left off The Art Deco District, Vizcaya, some historic hotels and any skyscrapers.

Seven Historic Man-Made Wonders of South Florida:

1. Miami Circle (0-300 AD)

2. The original Royal Poinciana Hotel at the Breakers in Palm Beach (1894, burned down and rebuilt in 1903 and 1925)
- At the time it was built, it was reportedly the largest wooden structure in the world. Basically, the beginning of South Florida's tourism and population boom.

3. FEC Seven-Mile Bridge (1912)

4. Stiltsville (1920s)

5. Coral Castle (1920s-40s)

6. Everglades Canals
Although not in one place, the vast network of drainage canals of the former Everglades, which basically turned all of south Florida from swamps to farms and cities. This is marked by construction of:
- The Hoover Dike (1930), levees around Lake Okeechobee (after the hurricanes of 1926 and 1928), and
- The "Central and South Florida Project" (1948), additional Congressional funding to greatly expand regionwide canals, levees, and provide flood protection (after severe flooding in 1947).
- You could probably add to this the vast number of man-made islands in Biscayne Bay and "finger canals" along Biscayne Bay, the New River, and the Intracoastal Waterway, as large-scale reforming of the land surface to accomodate human lifestyles.

7. "Bobby Maduro" Miami Stadium (1949, demolished 2001)
- I added this because of the unique and modern cantilevered roof design

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
my 7

1. South Beach
2. Key West
3. BOA illuminated
4. Biscayne Corridor (from the river to 25 ST soon 36 ST)
5. 7 mile bridge
6. Old Cutler Road
7. Coconut Grove

Honorable Mention:
8. Morikami Gardens in Boca

·
Banned
22 Posts
1. Everglades National Park

2. Biscayne Bay and the islands

3. The Grove

4. The Keys

5. Palm Beach Gardens

6. The Henry E. Kinney Tunnel (Ft. Lauderdale)

7. Palm Beach Zoo

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I love this but could have hundreds of categories. This is the one I like best at this moment.

1. MDC Wolfson Campus Oppenheim Proposal
2. 1111 Lincoln Road
3. Herzog and Demueron Art Museum, Grimshaw Science Museum
4. 3Midtown
5. CUBE
6. Lincoln East
7. Platinum on the Bay

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
7 mile bridge
The Everglades
SoBe:) , my friend,
great choice:banana: ,
The " 7 Wonder " miles of that long bridge in the Florida Keys !!!
and NO Fishing from any catwalks:bash:

anyway, my picks of the 7 wonders of South Florida are:nuts: ;

#1 More Sunshine
#2 Less Rain
#3 More Towers
#4 More Cars
#5 More Dump Trucks
#6 More Cement Trucks
and most Wonder # 7, More Residents !!!

LOL, Comments Welcomed:cheers:

·
Banned
579 Posts
SoBe:) , my friend,
great choice:banana: ,
The " 7 Wonder " miles of that long bridge in the Florida Keys !!!
and NO Fishing from any catwalks:bash:

anyway, my picks of the 7 wonders of South Florida are:nuts: ;

#1 More Sunshine
#2 Less Rain
#3 More Towers
#4 More Cars
#5 More Dump Trucks
#6 More Cement Trucks
and most Wonder # 7, More Residents !!!

LOL, Comments Welcomed:cheers:
less rain, ha ha ha yea right, florida has plenty of rain, i think miami averages what 60 inches of rain? i disagree on the less rain, btw have u ever been to LA, now thats dry

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
^^ maybe he means less rain than other areas of florida? I dont know, but i do know central florida is known as the 'lightning capital' of the world(its actually second to somewhere in africa) wich equates to tons of thunderstorms wich means= lots of rain. But idk.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts