SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a 70-300mm lens, but I'm having trouble deciding between the Sigma f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO and the Nikkor f/4-5.6G. Don't take price into account.

I have been reading reviews on various websites of the two, and most seem to favour the Sigma.

The Sigma has a Macro feature and a metal mount (the Nikkor is plastic), but as Ken Rockwell says, Nikon know Nikon cameras the best, and so can make their lenses the most compatible with Nikon cameras.

I use a Nikon D50.

Related to the same question: approximately how much light would I need to get good results with these lenses? I've heard people saying that unless it's a very bright sunny day these lenses are best left at home.

Thanks

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
I can't answer the first part of the question but I can try and answer the 2nd...

Fluppet said:
Related to the same question: approximately how much light would I need to get good results with these lenses? I've heard people saying that unless it's a very bright sunny day these lenses are best left at home.
It all depends.. do you (or hands) shake a lot? How slow can you set the shutter speed on your camera before your pictures start showing up blurry?
I can personally have it down to 1/20th of a second, so something like that would not be a problem, atleast for me.
I'd say, even on a cloudy day outside, the slowest shutter speed you'd most likely use is 1/100th of a second, even with a lens like that where the maximum aperture is only 4-5.6... (unless of course if it's dark (nighttime) outside, then you'd have to use a much slower shutter speed and then a tripod)..

·
More excitment ahead!!!
17,714 Posts
Hmm....I'm getting the Nikon lens tomorrow.....maybe I'll take some pictures for comparison.....:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DLL_4ever said:
It all depends.. do you (or hands) shake a lot? How slow can you set the shutter speed on your camera before your pictures start showing up blurry?
But I mean even with a tripod... Autofocus will not work unless the subject is bright enough, and I'm wondering how dark it can be for the autofocus to work... Does anyone have a photo they took in low light with one of these lenses, so I can see what results you got and how long the exposure was?

Thanks

·
Deacon Blues
773 Posts
I'm more than happy with the Sigma for Canon. This lens has a great reputation, many people agree that its quality surpass its price range, and is so versatile, the macro ability comes really handy.

Regarding technical specs, did you check if dpreview has a comparison chart for these lenses?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts