1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
born again cyclist
3,659 Posts
^ yikes, talk about a monumental aesthetic downgrade from the carroll properties proposal.

let's all hope this one goes back to the drawing board before new land moves forward with the project.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to add that the 224 apartments, 294 parking spaces, and 3,000 square feet of retail I mentioned in my original post has not recently been confirmed. After doing a little digging these are the numbers from the proposal in 2009.

I am posting them because the article mentioning this projects revival mentioned it already been approved and these were the numbers at the time of original project approval. We will just have to wait and see if they are modified or not...

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I still think it should be called Bookends. The 711 property was always in play even for Carroll across the street and at least we know these guys mean to develop it as well. Why else call this Bookends North? A disappointing project so far, but a catchy name anyway.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Meh could be better could be worse, I actually think the design looks interesting. Like a collection of smaller buildings.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would have preferred 700E, but this is still good. Not everything has to redefine the skyline, and what's really important is having dense, diverse, mixed-use, walkable neighborhoods, which this building will help with. According to Emporis it will be around 250' tall, which puts it pretty close to its near neighbors Yankee Hill and Regency House. This will definitely fill in a big gap.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It looks like any boring late 2000's Milwaukee condo development multiplied by 3x in height... and as I mentioned in the general city thread - As someone still stuck with a shoddy NLE-constructed condo that I cannot get rid of, I personally hope they are never allowed to develop again. NLE has a pretty horrible track record.

·
Registered
476 Posts
While it's okay, I have a feeling this current trend of hamfisting colors into projects will look dated come 10 or 20 years, much like the International style/stucco facade of older buildings built in the 70's.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I managed to locate the city Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development Committee file when The Bookends project was originally approved in 2009. Below are the two elevation renderings in the file, they are much more clear than any of the other ones I could find online.

I thought people might like them because first of all this is the 19 floor rendering of the tower and these diagrams indicate that the actual height of the tower to the roofline would be 299' which is considerably taller than the Emporis source that someone cited above. Also again this gives an idea of what materials would be used in the design of the building.

As I have been saying with all of the other times that I have posted design documents, if anyone is interested in seeing the actual blueprints for the building click the link I provided below and then click the file called "Exhibit A Continued" on the city file page.

EDIT: I know I just said above that the roof level in these renderings is indicated to be 299', however after looking at the drawings again there is obviously a part of the structure that juts above this roof level. Seeing this I would assume that the building is probably somewhere between 300' and 303' tall to the highest point. Again not as impressive as the 400+' that the Carroll proposal was going to be, but still not a horrible height for the location. Also it is funny to think that this design is actually around 20' taller than the 1550 Prospect / Goll Mansion proposal...

·
born again cyclist
3,659 Posts
Splat, look at those drawings more carefully. The top might be listed as 299', but grade is listed as 100', which means the building would only be 199' tall, which would be for more normal for a 19 story residential building than 299'.

Reactions: splat8

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Splat, look at those drawings more carefully. The top might be listed as 299', but grade is listed as 100', which means the building would only be 199' tall, which would be for more normal for a 19 story residential building than 299'.
I see that now thanks for catching that, I totally missed it. So the building in fact might only be around 200' tall? If that's the case that is rather disappointing. I know it's added density, but I guess I would personally expect something a little taller at that site.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No idea, it was approved before but I imagine since they lost the right to build on the land they'll have to get the option back again.
Someone would have to do a little research on this, but I believe that they have owned the land all along. Carroll Properties had an option to purchase the land from New Land. Since this is the case I don't think they lost the right to build on the land / have to get approval again. Like I said I could be wrong and maybe someone who is either more familiar with the approvals process or has some time to do some research could confirm or deny this.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
Part of the reason I hope this gets built is for the jobs it will create at the movie theater. I would think a decent sized movie theater employs a couple hundred people. Wishful thinking is the Bucks actually bring a new HQ to PE, and JCI goes thru...also the Aurora MU athletic center should employ a few hundred as well. I feel like new jobs is the ultimate way to create new development. For instance, a boost in new jobs might bring 700 E residential back to the table..Fingers crossed
Remember the Bookends development has been revived at that site by New Land Enterprises.

700 E is dead and buried, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.