SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
^^^ Certainly an improvement on what is there currently, which, with its bay frontage, applies a similar styled-theme to its neighbour, Artillery Mansions to an extent. But the current building can't be more than 30 years old ? London appears to love replacing recent buildings with other projects that probably won't last longer than 3 decades. The proposed 1930s-styled Trehearne project reminds me of what one might see in Golders Green or Maida Vale mansions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a suspicion that this may be a plan to reuse the existing building frame. A previous consent was for much the same overall design but for office use, which did use the existing frame. Following that the whole building was emptied of tenants and contents, and briefly had some heavy duty excavation work in the basement (big conveyor pouring out lumps of concrete) before work paused for over a year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Though looking closely there is something vaguely amusing in the amount of clearly American street furniture that has been added to the artist's impressions :) And the shop fronts on Strutton Ground (the street to the left) have had a tidy up with lots of those sunshade blinds New York seems to love. I suspect it was the work of Trehearne Architects' US office...

·
Living the dream...
1,662 Posts
That’s a very good point. Strutton ground looks somewhat different and the traffic lights currently located on a four corners of that junction have conveniently disappeared and replaced with Victorian style lampposts. Although a new set of traffic lights has strangely appeared in the middle of the road. Also note the American red fire hydrant and yellow pedestrian sign😂…..the Aston Martin is a nice touch though. And the building looks nice, which I guess is the main thing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry, I dont get it.

The Aston Martin and the Union Jack are there to signify that this is still meant to depict Britain.
Whats there not to like about the Union Jack and an Aston Martin? Who in their right mind wouldn't want a bit of that?

The refurb itself is a non event though isn't it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts