SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is such an important gateway into the city and it beggars belief that all we've seen completed over recent times have been the new O2 Academy and the Etap Hotel.
Hopefully with this lovely restoration project:

Application Number 2012/03213/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address 74-94 Bristol Street Birmingham B5 7AH
Proposal Conversion of upper floors to create 12 clusters of student accommodation (Sui Generis) with ground floor management office and laundry, and ground floor refurbishment including new shop fronts, and extension of ground floor uses to include A1-A5 and D1-D2 uses with parking to rear

it will kick start something.

I would like to see the Asda begin underneath the spiral tower and something like bringing Monaco House back to life with a hotelier. With these projects in place. the gaps like the old Jaguar garage could become priority and as I said before, the slip-road to the tunnel being filled in for some much-needed density to cover the back of Park Central and the grassy bank.

·
Registered Abuser
7,941 Posts
Here is the building on street view, not a lot needs doing to it really, a clean, replacing the windows and replacing the shop frontages.

·
ex-pat Brummie
6,431 Posts
What a great development.

As you say MSP, just what this neglected area needs. It's been blighted by store-wars, time now for ASDA to justify their victory and build the spiral tower.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Bristol Street....bring back the Super Prix too!

·
Registered Abuser
7,941 Posts
I would like to see the Gay Quarter to expand onto the Bristol Road if the surrounding buildings where to be tidied up, you already have Jester & Chic, as well as the new LGBT community centre opening up next to Jester.

·
...Ready for departure.
11,914 Posts
Super prix.. lol f&n dream on.. I support the event occurring again but no laws will be passed to allow road racing because of hugely expensive consultation, health and safety assessments and the fact that we now have residents who are so very ready to complain about the noise.. And that's before you get to those who are against it for environmental grounds.. There's no way it could happen again... If it does, I will personally let you fry my pants and force feed them down my throat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Except that the law allowing road racing on those particular streets was never repealed. Birmingham already has the required legislation to permit racing & is the only place in Britain to have that. Not saying it will ever happen, just that the law wouldn't be the issue stopping it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh, and nice looking development! As long as the shopfronts are made to match or at least fit in with the aesthetic of the building then this will be a massive improvement with very little work actually being required, externally at least.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As I said it probably won't ever happen again, just that won't be because of the law stopping it. It'll be the locals/businessses/council being too short of money/environmentalists/those against any more traffic disruption/those against any kind of genuine world class event in Birmingham/those who hate motorsports camps who are the issue.

The more I look at these plans the more I like them. They're nice looking Victorian buildings that deserve to be noticed but that are largely ignored at the moment due to all that horrible signage. Hopefully this project will change all of that. Bristol Street is desperate for a bit of TLC & quality development to make it seem like the real entrance to the city that it is (to those coming from the south anyway).

·
Brummie & Proud
3,120 Posts
Great news from Business Desk:

Work starts on new student accommodation after green light to plans

PLANNING permission has been granted for a new student accommodation development in Birmingham. The building in Bristol Street will provide space for 108 students with the first intake set for autumn 2013.

The Gooch Estate is developing the facility, which is situated in a row of locally-listed buildings, with Birmingham Properties Group. The work includes the refurbishment of the existing ground floor commercial units.

The project, which is now underway, will provide high-quality accommodation to Birmingham’s thriving student population and will help towards the ongoing regeneration of the Southside area.

Charles Gillett, partner at surveyors Pennycuick Collins – which acts for the Gooch Estate, said: “This is an exciting development which will see this area of the city updated in-line with Birmingham’s ambitious regeneration plans.

“This high quality student scheme will include a range of outstanding facilities for students in the region and the Gooch Estate is delighted to be able to restore this key building to its former glory.

“The scheme is a credit to the team involved which includes Birmingham Properties Group, St Paul’s Associates and PJ Planning.”

John Tebbutt, managing director of Jewellery Quarter-based Birmingham Properties Group, added: “This is great news for all involved and we are delighted that Birmingham City Council has granted planning permission for this development to take place. It is encouraging that innovative developments such as this are able to happen in today’s challenging times.”

Work is expected to be complete in July 2013.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Super prix.. lol f&n dream on.. I support the event occurring again but no laws will be passed to allow road racing because of hugely expensive consultation, health and safety assessments and the fact that we now have residents who are so very ready to complain about the noise.. And that's before you get to those who are against it for environmental grounds.. There's no way it could happen again... If it does, I will personally let you fry my pants and force feed them down my throat.
Yep im afraid you,re right,but i bet bloody London gets a grand prix.

·
Registered
28,894 Posts
went past yesterday and one of the end units closest to the Ford garage has been stripped out and refitted inside, not 100% sure but I think its had a new shopfront fitted too?

its the student cafe and estates office units, looked really bright and open inside

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.