SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
34,274 Posts
^^ Yes, it will come down to materials, colour choices, details, etc. Does that look like a rounded edge on the tower to you? I can't tell.

That aside, you may find Bay-Adelaide depressing, but many will disagree based on the design concept offered (however simple), the heritage gains and the quality of materials you mentioned.
95% of that heritage building ended up at the dump, only 2 exterior walls are left. That's not a heritage gain although it does fool people into thinking we preserved it. At least we have that illusion. The quality of material used in the tower is top notch, I'll give you that. The tower 'architecture' I find coma inducing, but Toronto should be a city that caters to its diverse population and their tastes. In that respect it's fine. I don't have to like everything and don't expect to.

Thankfully, these blank walls of nothing aren't the only aesthetic that gets built in this city. I'm sure there are lots of buildings I love that get ripped to shreds by people who like Bay-Adelaide. The old Sears HQ on Jarvis, for instance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think much of the design, but I'm more worried about what's going to happen to retail/restaurants etc. at street level throughout Yonge where we have all these new buildings going up. Will high street-level rents in the new buildings lead to a loss of the area's character? I'm a fan of the density, but I don't want to lose the eclectic mix of shops and food, etc.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't think much of the design, but I'm more worried about what's going to happen to retail/restaurants etc. at street level throughout Yonge where we have all these new buildings going up. Will high street-level rents in the new buildings lead to a loss of the area's character? I'm a fan of the density, but I don't want to lose the eclectic mix of shops and food, etc.
Cant be too concerned. You don't seem to realize what's there now.

·
planning inaction
2,032 Posts
Two trends that can be observed are: (a) high rents for at grade retail/commercial space, meaning only chains can afford to rent/lease/own the space; and, (b) condominium corporations favouring quiet, long-term renters/leasees/owners (like banks).

·
Interstellar Yet Local
41 Posts
I'm looking forward to this tower going up and also updates! Toronto is booming! :)

·
34,274 Posts
I do too but a little worried about the south side. There are a lot of mullions in that rendering.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts