SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out how the elevation, size, position and orientation of the memorial pools compares to the original twin towers.

I would like to know the following:

1) Are the memorial footprints smaller in dimension than the original towers? I've read/heard conflicting information. Were original towers 209 feet x 209 feet? Are the memorial pools smaller at 176 feet x 176 feet?

2) If memorial waterfalls are smaller, what is there position relative to the original towers? Are they in the center or positioned in a different manner?

3) What is the elevation of the 9/11 Memorial Plaza. The World Trade Center Downtown Restoration Datum puts the elevation of new Plaza at 313 feet above a subterranean benchmark. See NY Times: www.nytimes.com/2005/10/15/nyregion/15rebuild.html - I would guess that the original Austin Tobin Plaza would have had to be at higher elevation since Church street is at 321 feet and there were a few stairs ascending from Church street to the Plaza. So I would guess that original Plaza would be 327 feet. Anybody know exact number? How would this number be express as number of feet above sea level?

4) Is the orientation of both memorial waterfalls the same as the original towers? In other words does each side of original and new footprints align in the same manner with the street grid? I've looked at maps and drawn some lines, but I don't know if everything is drawn to scale.

5) Somewhat related: the swamp white oak trees on the Memorial Plaza are aligned in an east-west direction. How are these trees aligned - to the street grid?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
898 Posts
1) They are slightly smaller. The trees surrounding the pools are the true perimeter of the original towers.

2) Their relative position is the same as the original towers aside from the smaller dimensions.

3) Well, the museum is even with the streets on all sides, and the original plaza was only even with Church Street. I'm not sure exactly how high the original plaza was asl.

4) Yeah like I said everything is the same with the exception of the pools' dimensions.

5) That is a good question. I think they may have deliberately made them uniform east-west and more random north-south so that people wouldn't feel like they were in some kind artificial of hedge maze. This way, when the trees are full grown, the view east-west through the trees will look orderly and uniform while the north-south view will look more haphazard and chaotic.

I'm sure others will have more to say on the topic and will point out if I'm wrong about anything. lol

·
Researcher
3,118 Posts
Infographic by ENR

Memorial plaza finished floor is at 313'-0". Austin plaza at 327'0" while the concourse (same elevation as the entrance from West Street to the towers) at 310'-0"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responses to my question about position of 9/11 Memorial Pools at WTC.

Otie, that's excellent infographic from ENR. Do you happen to know the link of article associated with the graphic or what issues it's from?

According to graphic, the Memorial Pools are placed at north end of original footprints, at a slight counter-clockwise orientation and a bit smaller than original footprints.

The 327 foot elevation for Austin Tobin Plaza was my guess. Wouldn't elevation of original plaza be slightly higher than Church Street?

·
Researcher
3,118 Posts
^I've just lost every single data from my laptop, hard drive just crashed. I made a backup of the WTC files but that infographic was added to the files way after the last backup. Wish I could help you track the graphic, I remember the image is being hosted at enr.construction.com, try doing some search on the site and hopefully you'll find the article.

Yes, the memorial pools are alligned with 1WTC's footprint, wich is at the same time lined up with the new Fulton Street. It was Michael Arad's intention to reduce by ~30% the footprint of the towers in order to avoid the true scale of loss. As meh_cd pointed out, the first trees surrounding each pool mark the true footprint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts