Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't see how Glasgow's Commonwealth Games has any bearing on whether or not Manchester can bid for the Winter Olympics. The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow were a matter for the Scottish Government and the Glasgow City Council.

Still though, it's an interesting prospect, but I'd imagine that a lot of events would have to take place in North Wales, or perhaps even here in Scotland.

·
Banned
15,297 Posts
Nice being able to use the Alps like Munich. Which mountain range do you suggest for the skiing, bobsled etc?

I honestly thought you were having a laugh with the first post, didn't think anyone was.....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice being able to use the Alps like Munich. Which mountain range do you suggest for the skiing, bobsled etc?

I honestly thought you were having a laugh with the first post, didn't think anyone was.....
Wales/Scotland. But for certain games, you can build stadiums... I am sure by then technology could be used to create a winter...

·
B*tch
15,140 Posts
Nowhere in Britain is snowy enough, we have no mountain ranges where snow is always present throughout winter in large quantities. For example the Scottish ski season is often cast into doubt due to mild winters, such as last winter (I believe it ended early due to the ridiculously mild temperatures).

Barcelona and Nice of course are close large mountain ranges where snow is usually present.. not the case with Britain I'm afraid.

·
Banned
15,297 Posts
That is far from guaranteed.

Nosey - what is the longest ski run that you can think of close to Manchester that has guarenteed snow in early February?

Also, where is constantly below freezing for several months where we can put the bobsleigh run?

·
Banned
15,297 Posts
Having spent 2 weeks at the Turin winter Olympics in 2006 I can honestly say that the suggestion that Manc could host the winter Olympics as being one of the most bizarre ideas ever posted on here.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I share the sentiment that it'd be nice to see the city hold another major sporting event, but I was thinking more the athletics world/european championships. There are apparently 10-15 days of snow at Yad Moss, Alston, Cumbria in a good winter.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts