Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a church I attend, fairly often, and it was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. In addition to flooding by over 5 feet of water, the church was hit by an F-2 tornado sometime when the eyewall of Katrina was overhead. Now we are rebuilding a new church and I thought you all would like to see how a church with 600 attending every week, that now has around 100 attending every week, is combining resources to come back. Yes...this is our new $4 million church, right in the heart of St. Bernard Parish. Construction is set to begin by August.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Congratulations! Hope you all come back stronger than ever before.

I wonder what's the word on Greater St. Stephens, one of the (if not THE) largest predominantly Black congregations in New Orleans?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krazeeboi said:
Congratulations! Hope you all come back stronger than ever before.

I wonder what's the word on Greater St. Stephens, one of the (if not THE) largest predominantly Black congregations in New Orleans?
I have co-workers that attend that church and they are doing great. The main church did not suffer significant damage.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I was under the impression that the main sanctuary DID suffer the most damage, while a few of the satellite locations were relatively spared?

·
Registered
427 Posts
krazeeboi said:
I was under the impression that the main sanctuary DID suffer the most damage, while a few of the satellite locations were relatively spared?

I think you are correct. I hope Bishop Paul Morton's purple Caddy limo wasn't damaged. That would certainly be tragic.

Sean...what's the name of the church in the pics?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I'm sure the bishop has adequate transportation. :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JPKneworleans said:
I think you are correct. I hope Bishop Paul Morton's purple Caddy limo wasn't damaged. That would certainly be tragic.

Sean...what's the name of the church in the pics?
First Baptist Church of Chalmette.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
krazeeboi said:
Maybe you are thinking about the 8,000 member Franklin Avenue Baptist Church, which completely flooded. Then, again, I may be confused too!! :)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
No. Here are some pictures from the church's website that show the damage to the main sanctuary (the first two):

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
krazeeboi said:
No. Here are some pictures from the church's website that show the damage to the main sanctuary (the first two):

OK..Gotcha...Needless to say many churches suffered almost immeasurable losses.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Yes, sad indeed. I'm glad for your church though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
krazeeboi said:
I'm sure the bishop has adequate transportation. :)

Bishop Paul Morton is now saying that DeLaSalle is a racist school because braids are not allowed in hair. This man..... he has no shame.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Wow I am so happy for you guys! BTW That is a beautiful church your congregation is going to build. I love the pillars.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
JPKneworleans said:
Bishop Paul Morton is now saying that DeLaSalle is a racist school because braids are not allowed in hair. This man..... he has no shame.
What kind of school is this and why aren't the children allowed to wear braids? I'd be interested in hearing the school's reasoning on the matter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
krazeeboi said:
What kind of school is this and why aren't the children allowed to wear braids? I'd be interested in hearing the school's reasoning on the matter.
It is a Catholic school, and all children are required to wear certain uniforms to wear their hair in a "conservative manner." If Morton's so pissed about his daughter hair, why doesn't he use his fortune to start a Greater St. Stephen school? His signature is on the document that states what the rules are.

By the way, what does "Greater" St. Stephen mean? St. Stephen was the first Christian martyr. But why "greater"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts