Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riverside: Expanding the 60, getting a brand new interchange, the 215 was repaved, and they don't even have many taxpayers compared to LA county.

Orange: Great carpool lanes and dedicated ramps, efficient toll roads, continually expanding their freeways.

San Diego: Light rail trains that are almost completely grade separated, excellent reversible lane project which is currently being expanded, was able to get a new stadium right in downtown.

Los Angeles: Struggling to get a rail network, crumbling freeway system.

Where do the other counties get all the money for these grandiose projects? LA has been working for years to get the freeway projects that they just got the money for. Why do counties with less people get more money?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Here is what urbanrail.net says about the SD system:
San Diego light rail system 'San Diego Trolley':

- 82 km
- 54 stops

- low platforms
3 lines:

Blue Line: Old Town Transit Center - San Ysidro Transit Center
Orange Line: 12th & Imperial Transit Center - Gillespie
Green Line: Santee Town Center - Old Town Transit Center

26 July 1981: 25.6 km (2.7 km on-street in downtown, rest former railway alignment)
10 July 2005: Mission San Diego - Grossmont Transit Center (9.5 km) including San Diego State University (SDSU) underground station

FARES

Single - 1.50 - 3.00 $
DayTripper - 1 Day 5.00 $; 2 Days 9.00 $
Monthly Pass - 60.00 $

Interesting how day passes in SD are $5 and ours is only $3 w/ a much smaller system. Don't let the BRU know about this, they'll start saying that the SD trolley is racist.

Same website: On LA rail
1990 - Metro Blue Line opened
30 Jan. 1993 - Metro Red Line opened Union Station - McArthur Park
1995 - Metro Green Line opened
13 July 1996 - Wilshire extension
12 June 1999 - Hollywood extension
24 June 2000 - North Hollywood extension (10km)
26 July 2003 - Metro Gold Line Union Station - Sierra Madre Villa (22km)

Projects The Metro Gold Line will be extended towards the east from Union Station, with stations at Little Tokyo/Arts District, Pico-Aliso, Boyle Heights Mariachi Plaza, Soto, Indiana, Maravilla, East L.A. Civic Center and Pomona/Atlantic. This 9 mile line will also include a short 2-mile tunnel section with two underground stations. More

On the northern end of the line, 4 additional stations are going to be added: Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, and Irwindale. Both extensions are expected to be completed in 2008 or 2009. The northern end of the line may eventually be extended all the way to Montclair.

The MTA approved the Expo Line (color not yet assigned) from downtown to Culver City, about nine miles to the west of downtown.

So eventhough San Diego opened its first light rail line 9 years earlier, in 26 years they have only built 82 km of rail w/ no shovels in the ground as we speak.
LA on the other hand has built 117km of rail in 17 years including a $4 billion dollar heavy rail subway each w/ customized stations and at the moment has shovels in the ground building 2 lines simultaneously.
I don't get the hand wringing.......besides haven't you heard, OC is eliminating all or most of their carpool lanes into regular lanes.....so much for progressive thinking.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes it all look a lot better, but I still would like too see how much the state is spending on each county in terms of transportation for all of the counties and how they compare with the population of each county.

How can Orange County eliminate their carpool lanes? What would they do with those extra ramps?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
San Diego: Light rail trains that are almost completely grade separated, excellent reversible lane project which is currently being expanded, was able to get a new stadium right in downtown.
huh? Los Angeles County's rail network is larger than SD's and was built at a faster rate as well (SD Trolley built 51 miles in 29 years; LA Metro built 73 miles in 21 years, not including the two lines under construction at the moment). And as for grade separation, you obviously have only seen very little of their light rail system. All of their downtown Trolley segments run in the streets and there are many grade crossings on all the lines. Perhaps you're only thinking of the line that runs by SDSU, but then you're also ignoring the fact that our Green Line is totally grade-separated.

You also forgot that OC's plans for a light rail system got scaled down to the point of not being worth constructing anymore.

You're either biased or TOTALLY ignorant of the facts.

·
Registered
426 Posts
LA has more freeways and more rail than any of those counties. These places basically have good things at the expense of a lot of other things. Orange county has good freeways, but alternatives are just not there.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huh? Los Angeles County's rail network is larger than SD's and was built at a faster rate as well (SD Trolley built 51 miles in 29 years; LA Metro built 73 miles in 21 years, not including the two lines under construction at the moment). And as for grade separation, you obviously have only seen very little of their light rail system. All of their downtown Trolley segments run in the streets and there are many grade crossings on all the lines. Perhaps you're only thinking of the line that runs by SDSU, but then you're also ignoring the fact that our Green Line is totally grade-separated.

You also forgot that OC's plans for a light rail system got scaled down to the point of not being worth constructing anymore.

You're either biased or TOTALLY ignorant of the facts.
The thing is that I'm not just talking about rail exclusively. I meant all transportation projects, and that includes freeways.

And you're right about SDSU, that's where I drove by yesterday. I can only imagine how much that section cost - such a long elevated section.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was just in SD this past weekend and stayed downtown and went to a ball game. Their trolley system is very convenient for commuters going downtown, to a Chargers game, or getting to SDSU. However, outside of the downtown area, SD is no different than most areas of the OC. LA is by far a much bigger city in all aspects and its urbanized area is much greater. With that said, SD has a lot going for it and is a much more tourist friendly city than LA. SD does thrive on its tourism more so than LA because high paying corporate jobs are much more scarce down there. If any industry decided to move to downtown SD, it would blow up and I could see the area growing more than it already has. Hopefully the new head urban planner who Mayor V stole from SD can get things moving here in LA!!!

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I was just in SD this past weekend and stayed downtown and went to a ball game. Their trolley system is very convenient for commuters going downtown, to a Chargers game, or getting to SDSU. However, outside of the downtown area, SD is no different than most areas of the OC. LA is by far a much bigger city in all aspects and its urbanized area is much greater. With that said, SD has a lot going for it and is a much more tourist friendly city than LA. SD does thrive on its tourism more so than LA because high paying corporate jobs are much more scarce down there. If any industry decided to move to downtown SD, it would blow up and I could see the area growing more than it already has. Hopefully the new head urban planner who Mayor V stole from SD can get things moving here in LA!!!
The big difference is San Diego is an actual city; Orange County is an area with no real dominant city (Anaheim is the entertainment hub, Santa Ana is the county seat, Irvine is where most of the jobs are). OC's politicos are VERY anti-rail, with the exception of Metrolink.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Something that probably helps Orange County is Measure M, which was passed a little over a decade ago, it's a half-cent sales tax whose revenues go only towards improving public transportation, it's done a lot for orange county. It's estimated that by 2011 Measure M will have raised 4.2 billion dollars, that's where much of OC's trans. money comes from

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
LA has more freeways and more rail than any of those counties. These places basically have good things at the expense of a lot of other things. Orange county has good freeways, but alternatives are just not there.
not true, the OCTA runs a great bus system, the octa was named the #1 public transportation system in america in 2005

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What does Riverside have?

How is San Diego's bus service?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
not true, the OCTA runs a great bus system, the octa was named the #1 public transportation system in america in 2005
That's not saying much.

LA Metro was named the #1 public transportation system in America in 2006.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Something that probably helps Orange County is Measure M, which was passed a little over a decade ago, it's a half-cent sales tax whose revenues go only towards improving public transportation, it's done a lot for orange county. It's estimated that by 2011 Measure M will have raised 4.2 billion dollars, that's where much of OC's trans. money comes from
Most of Measure M's money goes to freeway improvements and carpool lanes. Some of it goes to Metrolink. Now that their light rail plan was killed, they might just spend it more on those things.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts

^ Funny cause I hardly ever see buses from the OC in the OC. Once in a great while I'll spot one and it's pretty much empty. I wonder what was taking into account in order to be able to win this award in 2005.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
^ Funny cause I hardly ever see buses from the OC in the OC. Once in a great while I'll spot one and it's pretty much empty. I wonder what was taking into account in order to be able to win this award in 2005.
Maybe they were super-clean :) Which is easy when no one rides 'em! :lol:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
no seriously... i took it this morning to downtown from sierra madre villa.
for one, that ginormous park and ride was only half full, there were 2 people at the station with me. and in the [train] car i was in, max 10 people.

and damn man... those stations are fucking loud. is there any kind of sound walling they can put up there?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ It must of been a slow day or drive to work day...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts