SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked around with my girlfriend for 3 hours yesterday throughout downtown and midtown. I took different varying shots. Just wanted to get some variety here. You can still see the tornado damage in downtown. I'm sure I missed some good shots. The true Atlantans will point some out. But I hope everyone enjoys. Let me know what you think too please.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
The tornado caused $300 million in damages, according to the latest estimates. I think property owners had 60 days to report damages to their insurance company? The last day, if I remember correctly, was last week. Total tornado related damage from all storms reported in Georgia this year is around $400 million. I think this is a new record for Georgia? My car had some damage from the golf ball sized hail from the March storms.

I usually see the Grady Monument on the bus, but I've never walked past it with a camera.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We started out by the Park and walked through it down to the GAA and Coke. Then back out towards the Dome and around Phillips and up towards Underground and down Peachtree into Midtown and then right back. Although we walked down Baker St. and onto Spring back to the car.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, would've been longer but my girlfriend's feet starting blistering. I wanted to get over closer to the freeway by the Varsity and across to GA. Tech.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Man I cant wait until they finish replacing those windows in the Westin. Its such an eyesore.... To see such a beauty in bad shape.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^I just wonder what's taking them so long to get them replaced. I'm sure they aren't cheap. But they have already been approved for federal funding.

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
The windows are custom order. Due to the age of some of the buildings, including the Westin, technology and safety changes have presented problems. Also they had to wait on insurance. The last damage estimate I heard was $415 million for all tornadoes in Georgia this year.

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The windows are custom order. Due to the age of some of the buildings, including the Westin, technology and safety changes have presented problems. Also they had to wait on insurance. The last damage estimate I heard was $415 million for all tornadoes in Georgia this year.
Went down to the Highlands for the Summer Festival and saw the cranes out replacing the windows! Pretty psyched about that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts