SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
New Nottingham!
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a day trip to Lincoln yesterday with a few mates. I hadn't been for about 10 years but still recognised alot of the city centre.
Even though it was freezing cold it was still a good day.

CARROTS!

From the carpark

The Castle

Heading to the Cathedral

The Cathedral

The Castle

Tourist Gift Shop

The Cathedral

Blurred inside shot

Slightly better

Down towards "Steep Hill"

Looking Back up

Blurred shot of the cathedral

Leaning on someone's car to make it better

·
Registered
321 Posts
There's a great quote from Pevsner, "A bicycle shed is a building. Lincoln Cathedral is architecture."

I still think Lincoln Cathedral is one of the greatest buildings in the world. You can see it from 50 miles away. When it was completed (sometime in the 14th C, I think) it took the title of worlds tallest man-made structure from the Great Pyramid at Giza.

·
New Nottingham!
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definately go back to the Cathedral and look around it properly. Unfortunately I was with 3 other lads that don't have as much interest in architecture as me and weren't willing to pay the £4 entry fee :lol:
Apparently it costs £50,000 a month to maintain it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been meaning to pop over to Lincoln for awhile. I'd heard it's had a new city centre scheme.

What makes it different is that it was a fast track, design by inquiry. All consultants and planning officers were put in a room together for two weeks to thrash out a design. Interesting idea and should certainly save time, but I'm not a big fan of design by committees.

·
New Nottingham!
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rest of the city centre looked pretty good I thought.
The only thing I didn't like was the big retail park that looked like it belonged out of town.
The big warehouse buildings had immitation stone columns that were hollow plastic tubes :nono:

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's Prince Charles, Princes Foundation that did it, so it's all mock georgian, portico's, promenades and the like. Not really my cup of tea...

I've a feeling it's only a strategy for regeneration that's been developed, not actually on the ground yet. Despite being in dueling-banjo country, Licoln is a nice place.

·
New Nottingham!
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I unfortunately didn't get to see all of the cathedral as I was with 3 other lads that don't really have as mch of an interest in arhitecture as me. Next time I go I'll have a proper look around.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The retail park is probably ST Marks (the old 2nd train and bus station) just off of High Street. I think a lot of that stuff tagged onto the end of St Marks furthest away from High Street will eventually get hidden by more uni buildings and gradually become more intergrated, its a bit stuck out next nothing on one side. As for the masterplan, http://www.princes-foundation.org/index.php?id=177

1 - 18 of 18 Posts