Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article from Think Progress, a progressive-leaning news and discussion website, in which it delivered a disturbing trend in China's attempt to urbanize more communities...

Chinese cities, like Chongqing and Yan'an, are "bulldozing" and "moving" mountains to cope with the nation's urban boom

To me, this is a scary development since this is an unsustainable way to expand urban communities. If this trend continues in the long-run, serious environmental impacts, from prolonged air pollution to landslides to worse flooding can be seen... all for the sake of moving more people to cities. What do you think?

·
Live from the sky!
3,207 Posts
Not sure about if it's good or bad, but it's interesting to see that it becomes more and more easy and cheaper to drastically change the landscape.

·
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about if it's good or bad, but it's interesting to see that it becomes more and more easy and cheaper to drastically change the landscape.
True, but there will be tradeoffs... in this case, you're losing your natural landscapes that make a city unique and charming. It's like, when before, cool air blows in and traps in the valley, creating a habitable place for birds and other animals, remove the mountains and you've get lots of flatland, and you end up with a concrete jungle with less air circulation.

·
***Alexxx***
5,275 Posts
I wouldn't quite say its disturbing, in some way I kind of admire the efforts. But cities are formed around the landscape...looks like they think otherwise haha

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read about this on china-daily, even Chinese Professors say this is a unsustainable method of development. The mountain top removal leads to stream degradation and soil erosion. Needless to say it harms the area's ecology. China's urban planners need to be innovative and find ways to make denser cities.(Perhaps take a few lessons from Hong Kong's urban planning instead of the big spacey layout style). If Xi is serious about his commitment to the environment he should put a plug on this fast.

·
pooh bear
7,789 Posts
I'm interested in how cities transform with these projects. For some cities, it's just a small expansion on the edge of town, but for cities like Yan'an, which is 3 blocks wide crowded by the river and many kilometers long, this can seriously transform the city and create a true center and downtown. Right now the city is really just a poor, remote settlement with a few commieblocks. Let's see what the results are in a few years.

·
Only More is More
1,383 Posts
I find almost everything China does to be disturbing: creating an atmosphere so polluted that you can barely see the skyscrapers; damming up rivers and relocating/destroying villages in the process; wiping out rain forests in Southeast Asia; endangering so many species because of their stupid superstitious beliefs; violating human rights; executing more people than the rest of the world combined...

I can't imagine a more vile country!

·
21,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think of it this way: tearing up mountains and making them into plains for urban expansion is expensive and can significantly alter the air quality and water flow in the immediate vicinity of the urbanized area. If one destroys a mountain or hill full of vegetation, it becomes an added expense to deliver water from somewhere else, and that dirty air from far away may come in more quickly to the city than being blockaded by the mountain, causing more environmental problems than before.

In short, altering the course of nature for man's own benefit may have severe consequences for those who live in them. Instead of harnessing what the mountains and hills can offer (maybe plop a windmill or two to bring in alternative power), utilities delivery can become more expensive as one has to get power and water from faraway.

·
on the road
leptokurtic
35,027 Posts
I just read an article from Think Progress, a progressive-leaning news and discussion website, in which it delivered a disturbing trend in China's attempt to urbanize more communities...

Chinese cities, like Chongqing and Yan'an, are "bulldozing" and "moving" mountains to cope with the nation's urban boom

To me, this is a scary development since this is an unsustainable way to expand urban communities. If this trend continues in the long-run, serious environmental impacts, from prolonged air pollution to landslides to worse flooding can be seen... all for the sake of moving more people to cities. What do you think?
Softening terrain is not necessarily a problem, but it must be done with carefully planning so not to create an instant food plain, or very seismically unstable area.

China needs to house some 300 million people that sill live in economically threatened and soon obsolete small hold farms.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,433 Posts
Think of it this way: tearing up mountains and making them into plains for urban expansion is expensive and can significantly alter the air quality and water flow in the immediate vicinity of the urbanized area. If one destroys a mountain or hill full of vegetation, it becomes an added expense to deliver water from somewhere else, and that dirty air from far away may come in more quickly to the city than being blockaded by the mountain, causing more environmental problems than before.
People have lived through much worse, like the Industrial-era British towns that had their skies and buildings blackened with soot from all those coal-powered factories. Once China's economy reaches a certain stage, it will work on lowering pollution levels, just like Britain once did.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts