Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A vast amount of carbon was thrown into the atmosphere flying tens of thousands of Liverpool and Milan fans to Athens recently. Our grandchildren will curse us for such casual and pointless vandalism of the environment. The damage of that match will be felt and paid for in decades to come, long after those involved have forgotten it or died.

Should Europe have a custom-built football stadium that can host most European matches? Somewhere with a capacity of around 100,000? Is that the real size needed to accommodate demand for major matches - and can a stadium be designed that big that will enable fans to see what is going on. Could modern optics technology be used to hang huge "magnifiying glass" screens down for those in the furtherst and highest stands, so they get a better view of the action?

It would need to be located on or very close to the high-speed European train network, so as many fans as possible could travel by train instead of air. Wembley isn't on that route.

How about Lille? Brussels? Paris? Eurodisney? Ashford Kent? Stratford? Could the Olympic stadium be converted for football use?

·
1,226 Posts
What matches would the stadium host?
Who would pay for the stadium?
How would the stadium make money or even just break even?

It's just not going to happen.

All uefa need to do is either introduce a 6* star stadium qualification. Only stadiums with this could host European finals. Or they could change the qualifications for being a 5* stadium.

People complain about the size of the Olympic Stadium, but Hampden Park successfully hosted the Final a few years ago and its capacity is 20,000 less.

·
Registered
329 Posts
they turn down wembley every time it gets offered, all they want is a stadium where they can get away with shafting people, as we'll see in russia next year!

·
Mancunian Member
7,184 Posts
The Champions League 'Star' Stadium in the intros of the tv coverage should be built!!! Probably somewhere like Paris, where it's accessible by train from all over europe (In other words, easy to access from Spain, Italy and the UK, going off recent finalists!!)

·
Registered
17,060 Posts
One thing being overlooked, UEFA doesn't care, in fact it doesn't want fans going to these games. It's a corrupt association, the final is a jolly for them to get back handers, kudos and self reward.

Look at the past 3 and next two destinations -

Istanbul - great stadium, great city but almost impossible to access

Paris - great stadium, great city, easy access

Athens - great stadium for a placid, all day come and go athletics crowd, largely inadequate for football with mass movements of people at key times, messy but pleasant city with great transport

Moscow - violent city for large visitor groups, hard to access, mafia/corruption rife (see how many jargs get printed and distributed here)

Rome - UEFA should seriously consider allowing ANY football match in the city given it's track record over the past 30 years or so, never mind a final. Without wishing to sound too pessimisstic this one could go really tits up

I don't want to see a UEFA stadium, I would like to see top class facilities being used in cities and countries that have well trained and tested policing methods, that are accessible and welcoming (top marks to both Istanbul and Athens for the hospitality offered by the locals even if UEFA/Athens corpy did the bare minimum). I want to see the final being OFFICIALLY the fans event and not the sponsors, I want to see people who pay hundreds and thousands of £'s treated with respect and not contempt and I want to see law and public order enforced and not confronted with indiscriminate violence - target the wrong doers not the majority.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rotate between Munich, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona and Milan.

All are outstanding modern stadiums with superb facilities and transport links. In this day and age with budget airlines and high-speed railways, it doesn't need to be in the middle of the continent just handy for mass transport.

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
UEFA does seem to like its far flung destinations - Moscow, Athens, Istanbul, Glasgow Champions League final 2003, Manchester 2004, UEFA Cup final Glasgow last week. Where next, Vladivostock?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
UEFA does seem to like its far flung destinations - Moscow, Athens, Istanbul, Glasgow Champions League final 2003, Manchester 2004, UEFA Cup final Glasgow last week. Where next, Vladivostock?
Nope...

Champions League 2003 - Glasgow
Champions League 2004 - Manchester
UEFA Cup 2007 - Glasgow
UEFA Cup 2008 - Manchester

:)

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Nope...

Champions League 2003 - Glasgow
Champions League 2004 - Manchester
UEFA Cup 2007 - Glasgow
UEFA Cup 2008 - Manchester

:)
Has anywhere outside London ( 3 European Cup finals I think ), Glasgow ( 3 European Cup finals ) and Manchester in the UK held the European Cup final?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
The system should stay as it is, moving from city to city, it is one of the few sporting events that happens outside capital cities, Barcelona, Gelsenkirchen, Glasgow and Manchester spring to mind in the Champions League. No doubt Munich will get a final and a new Anfield will also be in the frame.

There will never be enough tickets to go around and English fans will have to get used to this fact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Finals

The system should stay as it is, moving from city to city, it is one of the few sporting events that happens outside capital cities, Barcelona, Gelsenkirchen, Glasgow and Manchester spring to mind in the Champions League. No doubt Munich will get a final and a new Anfield will also be in the frame.

There will never be enough tickets to go around and English fans will have to get used to this fact.
Considering the **** ups made by UEFA and today Michael Platini is asking the G14 clubs to disband to avoid legal actions, I think its time for something to be done to UEFA not by UEFA. Surely UEFA should be answerable to the Clubs and the Fans too. I hope if a central stadium is built that UEFA have nothing to do with it. For the Champions league Final, they should choose a few stadiums each year and whne the finalists have got through, then decide the most appropriate stadium for the 2 clubs. And for a final like say Liverpool v Milan the minimum should be 30,000 tickets each, and the clubs should have some fair system of giving out tickets. For example spectators holding most tickets for the qualifying rounds not just to be sold with expensive executive packages.
The farce of all those fans getting in with counterfeit tickets is another problem to be blamed squarly at UEFA not the fans.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Magnifying lenses! lmao
I think they are called binoculars. And if you can't see from the back, then you must be short sighted and perhaps a spot in fron t of the telly would be more suitable.

We already have a 100,000 seater in Barcelona, but so what? This is sport not a greenpeace convention.

This thread is hilarious.

I'll be happily sat adjacent 4 rolls-royce trent turbofans cranking out the C02 for around 20 hours next week on my pointless trip back to blighty. Nice.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The farce of all those fans getting in with counterfeit tickets is another problem to be blamed squarly at UEFA not the fans.
I don't think this is a very rare problem, especially when Liverpool are playing. Remember last years FA cup farce?

·
946 Posts
Why's everyone suddenly pounding on aviation? General aviation I agree is useless and vain as its just randomly flying around. But commercial aviation helps the economy and to help other people experience other cultures. An aeroplane is a very efficient form of transport in regards to carbon output per head travelled, so to bash commercial aviation is useless, and it will never die off :bash:

·
Play up Sky Blues
822 Posts
Why not a temporary stadium, that can be erected anywhere.
the costs of such a thing would be rediculously high, finding planning permission every year, building it, maintaining it etc. only to demolish it afterwards and built somewhare else the following year? it makes no economic sense...would be cheaper to use an existing stadium;)

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of an inflateable stadium.

Better still would be to allow standing again, it would be then feasable to build a 200k all standing stadium on the same site as an 80k all seat stadium.

Room for everyone, no crush, pay on the door. How many watched the 1960 EC final ? how many died, fought, got crushed ? and that was in a stadium built out of cinders and railway sleepers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts