Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few shots of downtown Syracuse. As always, I only had a few minutes.

Syracuse's Underrated Jewel: the Niagara Mohawk Building

Stainless steel sculpture over main entrance

Detail of sculpture over main entrance

Syracuse Savings Bank (now Fleet)
The building is straight. My picture is crooked.

Gridley Building (foreground) and Syracuse Savings Bank

Gridley Building clock tower

Armory district

State Tower Building

University Block

Armory district

·
Frustrated Male Model
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I go to the 'cuse a few times a year - I grew up there (North Side, represent!). And you're right, it's a lot like Buffalo, though Syracuse was never as wealthy as Buffalo in its prime, so things are (usually) on a smaller, less opulant scale. Still, downtown Syracuse is looking pretty damned sharp these days. Unfortunately, the rest of the city is languishing. When I drive down the streets I used to walk at any hour of the day or night, it makes me want to cry.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Their NiMo isn't underrated, it's unknown. I remember when I used to take the Greyhound to/from school, it passed right in front of that building on the way to the bus station, the old one (before the new one by Carousel opened). You haven't seen anything until you've seen that building at night.

I like the State Tower too, reminds me of Buffalo City Hall - some very similar detailing.

·
Frustrated Male Model
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh you're right it's lovely at night. The stainless steel vertical thingies (mullions?) are all backlit at night with colored lights. I don't know if it's neon or what, but the effect is beautiful. Also sargeant, the old greyhound station has been renovated very nicely and it's home to a cable news station now.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Good for it. I remember one of my round trips, we had to sit outside because there had been a fire and you couldn't go in. Not fun...

·
token Canadian
944 Posts
nice pics WSJ.
syracuse needs to export some of the older architecture to buffalo as infill for the downtown hehheheh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts