Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found myself in Sydney on the weekend and managed to grab a few photos. The first six are from Vaucluse and Rose Bay and the others are from a flat in Darlinghurst, which I very luckily had access to... :cheers:

A lot of cockatoos were circling the buildings, screeching in flight.

Ibises heading south

Thrashes Brisbane for quality :-(

This one I took from just down the road at Potts Point

Scroll >>

·
Banned
35 Posts
dude ... truly incredible. very beautiful pics! i used to be one a bus every day down that road in the 2nd pic (going to watsons bay) was a lovely scenic journey. saving most of these!

btw tell me what camera are you using?

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
The cockatoos in the heart of our largest city is a lovely sight.

Amazing image of Sydney Tower at night with the turrett fully lit up. The detail is so good, I can even see the binoculars on the observation deck.

Also with the harbour bridge, you can make out the "O" which they have had for the past few nights for Oprah's Sydney visit. If you look well enough, the "X" for New Years Eve is visible, and I can see what appears to be a hand as well.

Good work!!!

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Wow I love those pics. I could look at their detail for ages. There are 4 apartments and one house that belong to friends of mine in those shots.

I love the Kings Cross close ups too. My future apartment is in the foreground of the night shot of KC. :)

Edit - actually I tell a lie. Its just behind the camera!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments guys:) I posted all those Darlinghurst pics in chronological order, to show the "getting dark" phenomenon. Trying to get most out of one view.

Impressive pics you've taken man! Thanks for sharing, 10/10

Do you like Sydney or Brisbane better and why? (Cons/Pros) etc... Including weather!
[can of worms alert] Sydney is a better place to visit, more exciting, picturesque and "happening" than Brisbane. Nightmare to drive around, though. Brisbane's traffic is getting bad but Sydney's is an order of magnitude worse. Parking spaces...forget it. The weather follows a similar pattern but Sydney is usually a bit cooler and less humid than Brisbane.

tell me what camera are you using?
Canon EOS-500D, one of the cheaper DSLRs.

BTW I've noticed all my pictures look okay in Firefox and wrong in Internet Explorer, lacking colour, as though they've been through the wash :weird:

·
Banned
35 Posts
^^ lol you sound like my echo regarding sydney traffic. it drove me totally insane.

what lens? my lens suks .. or the camera not sure .. never as focused or clear as your pics (400D). what do i need to change .. btw what setting were your pics on .. auto or other?
thanks for answering =)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Stunning photos defec8R, sure some great views there. Also suprised there are so many stars visible in the CBD for you to pick up that many in the centrepoint shot.
You should go there Jesse and try and get a full star trail around the Opera House :cheers:

^^ lol you sound like my echo regarding sydney traffic. it drove me totally insane.

what lens? my lens suks .. or the camera not sure .. never as focused or clear as your pics (400D). what do i need to change .. btw what setting were your pics on .. auto or other?
thanks for answering =)
I've got the 10-22, 15-85 and 70-300mm Canon lenses.

I always use Av setting (aperture priority). You might want to start a thread to get some better info, but anyway, basically the aperture determines how much of the scene, from foreground to background, comes into focus. You'd pick a low F-stop like F4 if you want a narrow depth of focus, like in a portrait, and F11 or higher if you want everything focused from near to far away. F8 is a good all-round number.

The harbour bridge daytime shot above (6th pic) I took using F5 and focused just on the bridge, sacrificing the nearby water to blurrdom. Low F is good because the camera automatically quickens up the shutter speed to suit, preventing motion blur from shaky hands.

In the 3rd pic of the grass, city and school I used F11 to try and make everything sharp.

Another thing, when shooting scenery I always focus the shot beforehand using the AE button (under your thumb, looks like an asterisk). That way, after focusing you can point it anywhere and the camera won't re-focus when you press the shutter button, if you know what I mean. For it to work you have to go into the custom functions menu and change a setting there, it's something to do with AE Lock. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Great pictures.

I used to live at Watsons Bay so this one reminds me of the bus trip to/from there very much (used to change to rail at Edgecliff). Considering it's one of the richest parts of Sydney I'm surprised to see the roads still look as bad as they did 20 years ago. You seem to get a lot of these concrete style roads in the Eastern Suburbs, they look so 50's, wonder why they've never upgraded to modern bitumen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.