SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taken the day before yesterday, as I was walking around, taking photos of contruction.

I walked from Waldemars Hage, at Alexander Kiellands plass, via Waldemar Thranes gate, down Pilestredet, to that new court-building. These are places I've never shown here before. There are many interesting spots I missed, unfortunately, because I was in a hurry. Maybe I'll find time to walk around there another day:)

Here is the map showing where I walked

Red circle=Waldemars hage
Black line=where I walked
Green circle=Gamle rikshospitalet/Pilestredet Park
Blue dot= that new court building

First a photo of Helsfyr panorama, wich I took before I hit the bus down to Waldemars hage.

Alexander Kielland plass(square). People have already started drinking outdoor beer at the countless outdoor café's in this city. I think the magic limit lies at around 10C, or even lower:D

Another project at Alexander Kiellands plass. There are so many projects like this popping up these days. Impossible to keep track of them all.

View down a side-street from Waldemar Thranes gate

View down Waldemar Thranes gate

Continuing walking in the same street

Walking down a small side-street I've never been to before. I should mention that I lived 400 meters from this spot for 6 months. Just looked it up in my map-book, turns out its name is the very german Glückstads gate.

Quite a special street, huh? It's name is Dovregata

Another huge construction-site is Pilestredet park, wich is the site of the old national hospital. Construction has been going on here for years now.

Old SAS-hotel

Walking down Pilestredet. You can see some of the occupied house Blitz. That house has quite a history. From its violent start in the late 70'ies(I think), with alot of clashes with the police, to war like state between the Blitzers and neo nazis in the late 80'ies/early nineties. Now things have settled down abit, but they still make the headlines now and then. They have a veggie café there, and a concert stage, record shop, radio station, etc. I was in there when I was 16, with a buddy. First time in the big city without parents. As a young, innocent guy from the coutryside, it was a big shock to be there, and I was quite relieved when we walked out of there;) In the background, you can see the old Telenor HQ, wich was finished with renovation about a year ago.

A closer look at Blitz. Old Telenor disapear in sunlight.

Old SAS, as seen from a backyard.

A project unheard of before

"La byen leve"="Let the city live"

Pilestredet again, as it has turned into Ring 1

View towards city hall

Around this area, there are alot of office-space, really densely packed together. But there is little else. So, walking in here after 6 in the evening is like going into vacuum. You walk in streets with people, cars, shops and café's, and suddenly there's emptyness and silence.

Ring 1 from a pedestrian crossing.

Out of hardcore office area

Those of you that can recieve Norwegian TV may have seen this building before;) It's used as motive for the soap series "Hotel Cæsar". I've heard that it's going on Estonian TV.

Final shot before going down to the metro

The construction photos from my trip can be seen here

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
One thing I've noticed is that Oslo seems to have a lot of Empire-style buildings. Do you know how has the style found its way to Norway, Arvid?

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
designwise said:
I have been to Alexander Kielland square
Wow, really? It's not the first place a visitor would go to, lies sort of hidden, about 1 km from city centre.

Moolio said:
One thing I've noticed is that Oslo seems to have a lot of Empire-style buildings. Do you know how has the style found its way to Norway, Arvid?
I'm not sure what you mean by Empire style, could you explain?

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
NorthStar77 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by Empire style, could you explain?
The royal castle in Oslo is a prime example. Empire style is the most prominent (only, really) old architectural style in St. Petersburg, Russia. Yesterday night I read from this Norwegian website that apparently Copenhagen copied the Empire style from St. Petersburg, and consequently the Danish brought it to Norway. It's great to see eastern influences in Norway, too.

here's some more Empire buildings

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh, okay. Well, I'm not really sure why this style became so dominant. In the last half of the 19'th century, the population of Oslo exploded as a result of the city becoming the capital of Norway. The population rose from 31,700 in 1855, to 227,700 in 1900. Quarters to accomodate all these immigrants, mostly poor people from the countryside surrounding Oslo, were built in an incredible speed. So, that is why there are a belt around 2 km wide that surrounds the city centre, where these type of buildings dominate.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I liked this thread - and I know that these take up time! Blitz is interesting thing.

- - -About styles
Empire style comes from Napoleon (after all - he was emperor). His trip to Egypet and admiration of grand emperors of the past lead to fusion of ancient Near East art with Classicism architecture.

Later Napoleon made a crusade against Russia and failed. But Russians started to admire everything French, and Empire style was adopted as something royal and "European". There were built a lot of buildings in this style in first half of 19th century.

I do not think that Empire style was used in Norvay in late 19th century, in these pictures there are seen Historism/Ecclecticism buildings.

·
mostly at Talo and SSP
595 Posts
designwise said:
impressive pics, arvid and I like thye way you included the map like Toni does...
I can't really take credit for it. Arvid, John & all have used it in the past, too. :)

@ NS77
This tour was very varied and showed plenty of the city. Thanks! I still can't get over the fact that many streets of Oslo look like the unholy lovechild of London and Helsinki.

·
always on
4,815 Posts
outstanding pics! Not too many pics of old Radisson SAS have been around! The streets are nice and city like (ofcourse) but i dont see alot of people, whats going on?

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of these are taken outside downtown;) Those that are from downtown is, as I explained, from an area with offices only. And, I try to avoid taking photos of people as it may bother them.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Beautiful images, i remember i walked parts of that rout one afternoon two and a half years ago. A lot of interesting and nice to see around there. Pilestredet Park looks a lot more beautiful now than two and a half years ago though. :)

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
i really love seeing oslo. it's always new and interesting for me.

about blitz - what exactly is it? is it like a squat, independent from the city of oslo? and is it only 1 building? is the idea of it something like christinental's in copenhagen, where all sorts of artists, writers and probably anarchists live?

·
User
719 Posts
Nice pics. I really like nice quiet steep streets like this one. Business district looks quite dense, but buildings should be higher and then it`d look like Nordic Manhattan. ;)

·
Born to run
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jarmo said:
about blitz - what exactly is it? is it like a squat, independent from the city of oslo? and is it only 1 building? is the idea of it something like christinental's in copenhagen, where all sorts of artists, writers and probably anarchists live?
It's just one or two buildings, and I don't think anyone live there any longer.

Short about its history:
In the late 70'ies and early 80'ies there were alot of youngsters walking the streets with nothing to do and nowhere to be(acording to them). And there were also high unemployment and difficult to get a place to live for young people. This resulted in riots, especially on the night to 1'st of may. All these people weren't really organized, but even so, 800 police officers had be out in the streets downtown at the night to 1'st of may 1980. 240 were arrested. Back then, alot of houses were occupied, not only in Oslo, but also other norwegian cities. Two years later, Blitz in Pilestredet sort of became the meeting-point for the various groups. That year, 1000(!) police officers were out there in the streets before may 1'st.

It has from the beginning been associated with punkers and anarchists. When they occupied the house, it had been empty for years, as some buildings often are when they are owned by the commune.

I saw a documentary about it not long ago, and I also remember quite well from all the news in the late 80'ies. Police did several attempts to break into the house and empty it of people when I was a kid, but they never gave up. And they used to protest against all sorts of things. Both the Blitzers and the police were extremely violent. The police really beat the shit out of some of them, some may say with good reason, but it was highly debatable at the time. In 1987, 10.000 people was in a illegal demonstration against police-violence.

The Blitzers, in their hundreds, even managed to *almost* attack Margaret Thatcher when she was on a visit here once. Nowadays things have become more quiet. The founders of Blitz have become adults, children, job in newspapers etc. It is more sort of a place where young "alternative" people meet for varoius activities, like punk-concerts, making radio etc. But the people there can still be quite agressive. 2 years ago, the commune was about to sell the building, on the condition that Blitz could stay. And the old riots were back for a little while. They managed to get into city-hall and destroy some things there. The commune even got a buyer for a while. But after all the noise from the Blitzers, he got cold feet and backed out.

If you go into their website, http://www.blitz.no/, there's an english button. There are mp3's of bands connected to blitz, photos etc.

Some photos

Clinton visits in 1999

... it's hard to find any images from the most dramatic days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts