SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a random walk and took a few pics in the city centre earlier. Weather was a bit shanty, being overcast and 17ºC.

Excuse the blurriness - it is my first attempt at stitching a pano. The eastern city centre and St Marys, from the Itchen Bridge. Also ignore the huge watermark in the middle :bash:

The Itchen Bridge

Largest Oil Refinery in Europe - Fawley, across Southampton Water and the Mouth of the Itchen.

Palmerston Park

Some midrises, Ocean Village Marina, and some 'Aviva Challenge' thing :dunno:

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
my mum's from southampton and i've never been there so the place has got me intrigued. although if you look at it on google earth it mostly looks like a complete hole. cheers for t' photos

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
ranny fash said:
my mum's from southampton and i've never been there so the place has got me intrigued. although if you look at it on google earth it mostly looks like a complete hole. cheers for t' photos
It's typical of many blitzed Cities - there's a nice park in the centre, but the place is pretty bland - long streets of two story, glass/steel buildings and a big indoor mall. Lots of dual carriageways.

BUt, some brilliant old stuff - including a city gate and some bits of old wall. Otherwise, the centre is pretty characterless.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey - thats where I come from.

building the Itchen bridge - Aprox 1975

Skyline - same era

the bargate - from 1979

Arundel towers - now demolished for the west quay shopping Centre
[

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
The Arundul Towers pic interests me- I have only ever known the place with West Quay in situ. Another building that is interesting is the flats opposite the rail station, looks impressively 70s ish.

Where was picture 2 taken from?

·
Registered
43 Posts
from memory I think it was taken from the old railway footbridge in woolston

its behind the light green trees on the top right of this photo - taken from the Itchen bridge last year.

this is what it looks like now

Its changed a fair bit since I took that first photo!.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts