SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello could someone please answer these

Q1. Roughly how many days a year is there snow on the ground in Glasgow?

Q2. Is it a lot colder than London?

Q3. What is Glasgow's economic growth forecated as?

Q4. How many skyscrapers under construction and approved?

Q5. What is the cost of living like compared to london?

regards
Max

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad to help :)

Q1: Very rarely, if ever. I can only think of a few occasions this year. Maybe 2 or 3?

Q2:It's not a lot colder than London, but certainly colder. It's unlikely that you would notice the difference. Here's some information on the climate in general; http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/weather.htm

Q3:Unsure. This source claims that Glasgow economic growth rate has been higher than Scottish and UK averages: http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/...mpanies/glasgow/glasgow-geographicprofile.htm
Since 1998, the average growth rate/annum has been 3.6%

Q4:Usure again, but there are about 8 or 9 above 20 storeys [the tallest 2 being 50 storeys] which are either approved or proposed.
You'll find all the information in the Glasgow Development thread.

Q5:As far as I know, Glasgow is the second most expensive city in the UK after London and ranked 41st most expensive city in the world. It's definately less expensive than London though, which is the 2nd most expensive city in the world ;)
http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/11/pf/costofliving/

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
Q1 : Once, twice maybe three times in a year. I recall very heavy snowfall just after Christmas, everything ground to a halt. It had melted within a day though. It depends on your altitude, Glasgow nestles in a valley so is quite mild, somewhere like East Kilbride though just outside the city but uphill all the way gets a lot more. It can be raining in Glasgow but with heavy snowfall visible higher up. It's funny in the mornings when there's not a flake of snow to be seen in the city and someone'll drive in with their bonnet covered in the stuff.

Q2 : Glasgow has more cloud cover (on average) which drags the temperature down, usually no more than a few degrees. I've seen temperature differentials of +10C on occasions though. Quite surprising for such a tiny geographic distance.

Q3: It's apparently outperformed the national average so 3 - 4% per annum sounds about right. It's grown steadily from about 1992/3 after the recession, although we were picking up a sfar back as the eighties (we led the way in urban regeneration), although from a base of practically zero. I don't have any figures to back this up though.

Q4:
  • U/C Approved Proposed

Elphinstone Place - 39 floors
    Elphinstone urban village 1 - 27 floors
    Custom House Quay - 24 floors
    Glasgow harbour (phase 2) 1 - 23 floors

Elphinstone urban village 2 - ~20 floors
    Glasgow Harbour 1 - 20 floors
    Glasgow Harbour(phase 2) 2 - 17 floors
    Glasgow Harbour(phase 2) 3 - 17 floors
    Glasgow Harbour(phase 2) 4 - 17 floors
    Glasgow Harbour(phase 2) 5 - 17 floors

Tradeston tower - 17 floors
    Elmbank tower - 17 floors
    Dixon street tower - 16 floors
    Glasgow Harbour 2 - 15 floors
    Graving dock 1 - ~15 floors
    Graving dock 2 - ~15 floors

Aurora tower - 14 floors
    Cheapside hotel - 14 floors
    Lancefield Quay - 14 floors
    Unicorn tower - 13 floors
    Glasgow Harbour 3 - 13 floors
    Atlantic square - 12 floors
    The Cut - 12 floors
    Glasgow Harbour 4 - 12 floors
    Mizu - 12 floors

Tradeston 1 - 12 floors
    Tradeston 2 - 11 floors
    Tradeston 3 - 11 floors

Bell street beacon - 11 floors
    Lancefield quay - 11 floors
    verde - 11 floors

I wouldn't count the three 50, 40 storey towers as proposed yet.

Q5. Much the same, properties obviously cheaper but wages are lower.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
few more questions

From photos of glasgow on this site it seems to have very lttle sprawl. I t just seems to stop and then there are hills. Is this true is there les sprawl than say london or Glasgow.

Q2. Also Glasgow centre seems to be denser than london and the buildings have more stories, is this true?

Q3. Does Glasgow have a reputation for good nightlife?

Q4. I know that Glasgow city centre has had a population loss over the past few years. With all the apartment construction going on will this change soon?

Q5. What major companies have their HQ's in Glasgow?

Q6. Glasgow sounds like a good alternative to London life, would you agree?
What are the benfits of living in glasgow?

Q7. Is the whole Ned problem really bad or is it just the same as in anyother UK city?
regards
Max

·
control yourself
4,368 Posts
In answer to the question of sprawl, Glasgows conurbation is more or less defined north and south by the Campsies and Cathkin Braes respectively but stretches out pretty far on an east west axis, more or less from Loch Lomond to halfway to Edinburgh (where it meets the Capitals conurbation)

·
Registered
418 Posts
"Q2. Also Glasgow centre seems to be denser than london and the buildings have more stories, is this true?"
I think the average height, although i'm not sure, of buildings in Glasgow is 7 storeys. I would say the centre is probably as dense or maybe slightly denser than Londons. Londons is much more spread out while Glasgows, if the west-end is excluded, is slightly more compact.

"Q3. Does Glasgow have a reputation for good nightlife?"
Short answer: yes. :)

"Q4. I know that Glasgow city centre has had a population loss over the past few years. With all the apartment construction going on will this change soon?"
I'm not sure about Glasgow city centre, but inner Glasgow has been losing population for a while. It has certainly slowed down in recent years and is predicted to begin rising again. Again, im not sure, but i think Glasgow city centres population has always been quite high and will definately be rising in the near future with all the new developments.

"Q5. What major companies have their HQ's in Glasgow?"
A few; British Telecom, Direct Line, AXA insurance, Norwich Union, Abbey, HBOS, National Australi Group, Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays Stockbrokers, Morgan Stanley, Esure, Lloyds TSB, JP Morgan.

"Q6. Glasgow sounds like a good alternative to London life, would you agree?
What are the benfits of living in glasgow?
"
I would definately agree. Glasgow does most things well: Nightlife, Architecture, Shopping, The People, Environment, Culture, Transport etc. The benefits would include things like: it's user friendly, you can walk almost anywhere and, like London, there is little need for a car. It's closeness to such places as Loch Lomond is another benefit. The national park lies at the very edge of the conurbation and is very easy to get to. Unlike London, you can get out the city and be standing amongst some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. The city is much more laid back than London and, in general [at least in my experience], the people are friendlier.

"Q7. Is the whole Ned problem really bad or is it just the same as in anyother UK city?
regards
"
Just another UK city. Keep in mind, Glasgow has one of the lowest crime-rates in the UK. Anti-sociable behaviour is top of both the Scottish Parliament and Westminsters agenda. However, I would say the NED problem is slightly exagerated, especially in the South of England, where Glasgow is still thought of as a dirty, poverty stricken city. Obviously not the case.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again

yes us Londoners are the most grumpyest epople in the UK

Also I have to admit the general feeling about Glasgow in the south east is that it is dirty and poverty stricken, but I totally disagree.

·
School for Scoundrels
75 Posts
Why not spend 99p on an Easyjet ticket and come see for yourself ?

you might be pleasantly surprised.

PS: One trip won't be enough though! hope you have lots of 99p's saved up :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
"Also I have to admit the general feeling about Glasgow in the south east is that it is dirty and poverty stricken, but I totally disagree."

It's a shame, really. Glasgow is the third richest UK city/capita after Edinburgh(1st) and London(2nd). Infact, most statistics prove the Glasgow stereotype is incorrect. I agree with PGCC, get up here and see for yourself. :)

G

·
the LloydsTSB 'head office' is Atlantic Quay call centre, for the bank and Goldfish, not exactly a head office location.

·
Urban Realm
1,054 Posts
That's a fantastic pic Crusty.

----------------------

The urban core of Glasgow is the most impressive bit of real estate in Britain I would say. The commercial grid centred on the axis of St Vincent street has few buildings below 5 floors and a couple of stone buildings above 10 floors, pretty much unheard of in the UK. Elphinstone Place will be as impressive as Swiss Re and the Cheapside plans look to be much higher quality than Canary Wharf, all of this will be in the same CBD, not scattered around.

The city used to be the highest density in Europe.

G

·
Be_Happy said:
"Q5. What major companies have their HQ's in Glasgow?"
A few; British Telecom, Direct Line, AXA insurance, Norwich Union, Abbey, HBOS, National Australi Group, Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays Stockbrokers, Morgan Stanley, Esure, Lloyds TSB, JP Morgan.
I agree with most of what you said but I have to correct this bit.

• Esure is based in Surrey
  • National Australia Bank Group has no UK HQ (though the Clydesdale Bank division is based in Glasgow and the Yorkshire Bank one in Leeds)
  • BT is based in London
  • Royal Bank of Scotland (including Direct Line) is based in London
  • HBOS is based in Edinburgh
  • Morgan Stanley UK are based in London
  • AXA are based in London
  • Norwich Union is based in (shock horror) Norwich
  • Abbey is based in London
  • Lloyds TSB is based in London
  • JPMorgan UK is based in London
  • Not sure about Barlcays Stockbrokers, but Barclays as a whole is HQ'd in London

Basically, nothing in your list has it's HQ in Glasgow (apart from maybe the stockbroking division of Barclays).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Och well :dunno:

It says on the website 'main office' or am I lying...

Scottish HQ perhaps?

G

·
Be_Happy said:
Och well :dunno:

It says on the website 'main office' or am I lying...

Scottish HQ perhaps?
I suppose Scottish HQ is possible for some of them, but most of the banks have their HQs in Edinburgh. I've gone off the websites for all of the ones I listed above. The only one I couldn't find info for was the Barclays Stockbrokers. The thing I find strange is that RBOS, a bank with Scotland in it's name, has it's two largest facilities in London and Manchester, both English cities.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, lets just say these companies have a major presence in Glasgow :)

·
5,923 Posts
EarlyBird said:
I agree with most of what you said but I have to correct this bit.

• Esure is based in Surrey
  • National Australia Bank Group has no UK HQ (though the Clydesdale Bank division is based in Glasgow and the Yorkshire Bank one in Leeds)
  • BT is based in London
  • Royal Bank of Scotland (including Direct Line) is based in London
  • HBOS is based in Edinburgh
  • Morgan Stanley UK are based in London
  • AXA are based in London
  • Norwich Union is based in (shock horror) Norwich
  • Abbey is based in London
  • Lloyds TSB is based in London
  • JPMorgan UK is based in London
  • Not sure about Barlcays Stockbrokers, but Barclays as a whole is HQ'd in London

Basically, nothing in your list has it's HQ in Glasgow (apart from maybe the stockbroking division of Barclays).
Good God man you've just went and ruined everything!! Why?!

There must be something we got up here...... hold on!! - Scottish Enterprise have their head-quarters in Glasgow........

All the companies listed have their Scottish Headquarters in Glasgow, apart from HBOS and RBS, which most definetely have their headquarters in Edinburgh. (yes yes, RBS's original headquarters were up here in Scotchland - its only since, through a piece of incredible take-over strategy, they became the biggest bank in the UK that they have properly started things up down south)

·
Registered
418 Posts
And that compnay from Chicago are moving into The Sentinal ... I think that's a HQ? AON or something :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts