1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the Central Avenue Jazz Festival

The Historic Dunbar Hotel is where many legendary AA jazz musicians
stayed when they came to L.A. Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan,
Billy Eckstein to name a few. It's now being renovated into senior housing.

Grand Park opens in downtown Los Angeles

Westlake/MacArthur Park

Elysian Park

Hiking around Griffith Park again

Forest Lawn Cemetary

Music Box Steps from the Laurel & Hardy movie

Echo Park

The Grove

and the rest

Thanks for stopping in. I really love this city!

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Just crossed my mind....why would anyone want to go to The Grove when 3rd St is so much more superior? And it has a Ferris Wheel and a beach! Anyway good pics.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Went to Americana for the first time yesterday. We need to have a discussion. So it's not as fake as I thought it would be, although it is. But unlike The Grove, it actually opens up to the street and if it continues to spread could seamlessly become at one with the existing urban fabric more than it is presently, which isn't all that bad. Is this a form of new urbanism? The friend that I went with said that you are able to walk through at any time for there are no gates that close it off at a certain hour. Is this true? If gates don't exist then how is this any different than any other place? Even certain neighborhoods hire their own security that patrol the streets. Then there are whole neighborhoods that are gated off. Is this a passing fad or a new urban form?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Went to Americana for the first time yesterday. We need to have a discussion. So it's not as fake as I thought it would be, although it is. But unlike The Grove, it actually opens up to the street and if it continues to spread could seamlessly become at one with the existing urban fabric more than it is presently, which isn't all that bad. Is this a form of new urbanism? The friend that I went with said that you are able to walk through at any time for there are no gates that close it off at a certain hour. Is this true? If gates don't exist then how is this any different than any other place? Even certain neighborhoods hire their own security that patrol the streets. Then there are whole neighborhoods that are gated off. Is this a passing fad or a new urban form?
exactly. i dont get the hate for Americana. If there were 4 more Americana's all tying into each other, it would be a spectacular place.

btw, its true, you can walk through at any time you like. The park is public space, there are residences at the complex and no gates.

Also, traffic has not increased AT ALL since this place opened up. the bitching by the NIMBYS was proven to be nonsense like we all thought. Lastly, its great to see that the Galleria had to eat crow and now has to fully remodel the fortress since the Americana is so popular.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
exactly. i dont get the hate for Americana. If there were 4 more Americana's all tying into each other, it would be a spectacular place.

btw, its true, you can walk through at any time you like. The park is public space, there are residences at the complex and no gates.

Also, traffic has not increased AT ALL since this place opened up. the bitching by the NIMBYS was proven to be nonsense like we all thought. Lastly, its great to see that the Galleria had to eat crow and now has to fully remodel the fortress since the Americana is so popular.
My one issue with Glendale is the future of their transit connectivity. If there was line that went up Brand is it? would Americana spread out and lie down beside it for the length of downtown? Anyway, really interesting place. Although right now it is only practically car accessible from the basin. Btw, is Glendale a part of the SF Valley? If so, where does the Valley start and the basin end? I don't remember seeing any type of topographical markers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.