SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a quick walking tour of my Suburb North Adelaide, following two main streets: Brougham Place and Lefevre Terrace. This represents just a small fraction of the fantastic old architecture gardens and street scapes that can be found throughout this unique part of the City.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent tour. I love all the old stone mansions that are throughout North Adelaide.

Must have been late in the arvo
Yes, about 4-5pm, I was going to go around earlier but it took a while for me to get started.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Adelaide is a very underrated city. Great pictures and really shows the historical significance of the buildings that have been kept and preserved over the years.

Thanks for those.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nice pics :) How far is it from the CBD? I can see in that one shot of the skyline it looks about 10km...?

And is it really just a "small fraction"? Looks like you covered a lot of area.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice pics :) How far is it from the CBD? I can see in that one shot of the skyline it looks about 10km...?

And is it really just a "small fraction"? Looks like you covered a lot of area.
It is technically in the CBD (contained within the parklands) but I guess it is less than a kilometer from Brougham Place to North Terrace (Parliment house etc and the start of the skyline). I think the low height of Adelaide's skyline makes it seem further away than it really is ;).

Yes it is just a small part of North Adelaide, and most of North Adelaide contains similar architecture, it really is a unique 'suburb'.

*edit*

Here is the google maps of North Adelaide, I just covered Lefevre Terrace and Brougham/Palmer Place and partially covered a couple of side streets in between, so you can see there is a lot more of North Adelaide not shown!

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-34.90786,138.601241&spn=0.020799,0.045447&z=15

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jeez North Adelaide is beautiful. Definately one of the better North XXX's in the country for sure, and one I obviously need to explore a bit more next time I'm out that way!

·
perthistan
6,953 Posts
Looks Awesome!! Very elegant.

Quick question: how come the govt hasnt sunk the powerlines?
The area certainly appears to be a grand area that would be worth it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks Awesome!! Very elegant.

Quick question: how come the govt hasnt sunk the powerlines?
The area certainly appears to be a grand area that would be worth it.
There is currently a 30 year plan to sink them... Its funny that sometimes the oldest and most wealthy suburbs have the worst infrastructure.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Really nice photos! You are lucky to live in such a pretty suburb. It doesn't look overly busy or quiet either which makes it even more appealing. :).

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Which includes the whole Adelaide city area, mostly the outer core area.
Sorry for going off-topic, but found this.

Adelaide powerlines in the city will go underground after Adelaide City Council on approved a $16 million plan, reported The Advertiser (26/9/2007, p.28).

Ten-year project: In partnership with the State Government’s Power Line Environment Committee, the council has targeted 19 priority areas. Work is expected to start this financial year and will take about 10 years to be completed. A further 70 under-grounding projects around the whole council area are set to be undertaken over the next 30 years. Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the plan had support. “The undergrounding proposals represent a significant and long-term investment,” he said. “It is clear residents, businesses and developers… strongly support the undergrounding of power lines.”

http://electricityweek.wordpress.co...elaide-city-council-approves-16-million-plan/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts