Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Liverpool, England.
12,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a Liverpool sub-forum? We are currently on 67,000 posts and I notice that the New York forum, which only has 45,000 posts in total has three sub-forums.

I know that some people consider New York to be a more prominent city than Liverpool but this is not reflected in the post count. These forums take up bandwidth but should the allocation of sub-forums not be determined by the total number of posts?

If we were to have a sub-forum, any ideas on what it should contain? My idea would be to have it devoted to development news and progress reports with the main forum devoted to more general issues - or maybe the other way round.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I think you'll have to come up with a clear structure for this for anyone to take it seriously Martin as there are management issues as well as aspirational ones.

If you can put a structure together I'll post a request on the staff section, or discuss it with Gothicform.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I think it is a good idea. Maybe not any more than one, but the sub or main section could be development etc as you say, but also public realm, landscape etc.. leaving the other one for more general urbanny and economic, social stuff etc?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
The New York one has Development News, WTC, and a kind of Skybar... the Skybar one might polarise Liverpool members from using the UK Skybar where there are more people to talk to... let's have some proper sub-fora titles and suggestions, and I'll pass them to HQ

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
that planning applications 07 thread should be made sticky...at least till 08 as it is slipping to the bottom the page now, but would form a good depository?

I also think that a skybar type sub forum would keep us off the others, as I imagine it is exactly the rason why we go over there....i.e. to speak to others.. if the skybar for this was just Liverpool then we would still need to go and massage our egos on shared forums?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I can't see the point myself - Martin why do you think a sub-forum would improve things?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can't see the point myself - Martin why do you think a sub-forum would improve things?
I presume it would simply be another forum (or set of threads) within the existing Liverpool sub-forum?

I don't see the point either. I also think it is just turning the place in to a complicated labrynth, when it needn't be. The first page of the existing sub forum contains everything that is topical, taking account of older threads occaisonally being brought back up to date.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
due to the sheer popularity of the Liverpool furum I find that a lot of important threads disappear off the front page, sometimes by a rush of unimportant or frivolous threads (I know, I have made enough of those types!) I think it is a good idea. Main one for the meaty and regularly visited stuff.. the sub for the rest? Does not have to become an encyclopedia, like!

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
due to the sheer popularity of the Liverpool furum I find that a lot of important threads disappear off the front page, sometimes by a rush of unimportant or frivolous threads (I know, I have made enough of those types!) I think it is a good idea. Main one for the meaty and regularly visited stuff.. the sub for the rest? Does not have to become an encyclopedia, like!
It wont work by splitting it in two. Remember when we tried to separate out to 21CL threads - it instanty broke down because people could not remember which one was for what.

Which are the "meaty and regularly visited" threads? If they were in one of the two halves, the other half would be deserted, as people would not start threads in a quiet part of the forum.

I still can't see a single benefit. It's not the hardest thing in the world to go to a second page to find threads, and it wouldn't take a lot of moderation to stop people opening up new threads just for one photograph they are proud of (as has happened recently).

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
But that reminds me. B4mmy, can you please get Liverpool placed second in the list of cities please? It is really unpardonable that we should be down the list where we are, given our contribution to SSC.

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
It's a good idea in theory, but Kev has already made one. A very fine one too.

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
But that reminds me. B4mmy, can you please get Liverpool placed second in the list of cities please? It is really unpardonable that we should be down the list where we are, given our contribution to SSC.
If it was organised by post count it should be first. I don't know what the history is behind the order of things. I suspect that if I make this request it may well be ridiculed to be honest...

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Does Marty mean (and I'm too bone idle to check whether this is the case) that New York is one level down, in the SSC hierarchy, from skycrapercity.com, and, as the Liverpool sub-subforum in the UK and Ireland subforum (we follow?), is bigger than the NYC subforum, then so should be the Liverpool section of SSC?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
If I'm to put this idea forward I need a list from you guys, I also need a consensus of opinion. At the minute we have opposite views. I guess the important thing is that if I can make it happen, its going to look a bit dumb if the sub-sub-forums don't get used, and its been a bit quiet round here lately. It may well be a catalyst to improving things in m,y opinion so if you guys can come to some agreement in the next few days I'll do what I can.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If it was organised by post count it should be first. I don't know what the history is behind the order of things. I suspect that if I make this request it may well be ridiculed to be honest...
I'm quite sure that Birmingham didn't used to be higher than Liverpool in the list. Somebody made it that way, like the London one, out of civic pride. Well I think Liverpool should be at the top, and as its mod you should move it up without asking. In any case, Liverpool is the biggest city sub forum, so it should be either top, or second to London. There's nout wrong with a bit of civic pride, as the entire cities sub forum testifies.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
It's a good idea in theory, but Kev has already made one. A very fine one too.

I can never find anything on Kev's site, it's too complicated for me. I know it probably works for people who spend a lot of time there, but I just pop in briefly now and then and find it like a maze. Another reason to keep things simple. If people were more disciplined in creating new threads we would not have a problem. The user "ADMAN" created one just for one of his own pictures recently, and whilst it is a damn fine picture, it really didn't merit it's own thread.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Does Marty mean (and I'm too bone idle to check whether this is the case) that New York is one level down, in the SSC hierarchy, from skycrapercity.com, and, as the Liverpool sub-subforum in the UK and Ireland subforum (we follow?), is bigger than the NYC subforum, then so should be the Liverpool section of SSC?
Well if he meant that he should have said so. I'd support that. We wouldn't have to mix with the riff-raff then. Why should I spend time with people who are obsessed with cheapy office buildings in Wolverhampton or Swindon? It's ridiculous. We should be kept apart from all that, and above it, as a city of global importance and interest.

·
Fugly
11,311 Posts
If so bammy, why has tha' Lundun been placed at the top of the list? It was chronological until that furum was created. Manc and Brum first, followed by Liverpool, then Leeds & Weegieland, and finally Sheffield. Surely by that logic London should be last?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
what I was thinking of the 'meaty' ones are the major schemes adn projects, development updates and plannig issues etc. Things like my city, anti scouse bias and Knowsely hall tickets and the likes could go to the sub? I think any division would be obvious.. it would be exactly the same rationale used for th main 'skyscraper and development' themes.. and then the skybar for the rest?

I know the 21 CL one went wobbly but then if the subject matter was broadly known and agreed up front then any 'strays' could be moved a part of the mods tidying jobs? It happens on the London one althe time.. except they throw the 'social' ones onto the general forums!

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I'm quite sure that Birmingham didn't used to be higher than Liverpool in the list. Somebody made it that way, like the London one, out of civic pride. Well I think Liverpool should be at the top, and as its mod you should move it up without asking. In any case, Liverpool is the biggest city sub forum, so it should be either top, or second to London. There's nout wrong with a bit of civic pride, as the entire cities sub forum testifies.
I dont have the power to do that. I don't know who changed the order. If it was by post count Liverpool should be top... but it seems to have been arranged by order of erm... preference by the person that did it. I can ask Gothic to join this discussion if you like, but either way I dont have the power I'm afraid.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts