SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The city of Mostar...
BEYOND THE BRIDGE

Some cities aren't lucky enough to receive the attention (and international funding) that Sarajevo does.

Here is a look at Mostar in August of 2004...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Now I'm scared. I have a shirt, pants, and purse like that. I wear my hair like that...I look something like that...

But I was NOT at a Željko Joksimović concert in Mostar... :( That girl is freaking me out...

Poor girl, though... ;) She didn't keep enough junk in the trunk...the assless wonder.

·
Registered
572 Posts
"She"?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Football Rules said:
Mostar's architecture is quite interesting
I never knew the whole story about the bridge though
When was it built and did it gain significance simply because it was destroyed during the war or .....?
No, it was always the city icon. It was on UNESCO's world heritage list since before the war, and historically people marvelled at it's shape. Plus I believe it's the largest stone bridge in Europe or something like that.

I'd give you the whole history but I have a couple of more pages to write for AP History and it's 1:35 in the morning right now...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ "When God first made the world, it was warm and soft as freshly molded clay. The Devil was jealous of this beautiful gift that God had created for man, and so - with his claws - he scratched the earth and dug deep into it's flesh, at Bosnia. This created high mountains and deep ravines. The people were separated, and began to view themselves as different than those on other mountains, across other ravines. This made God sad and so he sent his angel's to the earth. They knelt down in the ravines, and spread their wings from bank to bank so that men were able to cross over their backs. This is how man learned to construct bridges, and the bridge at Mostar was constructed to resemble the wings of the angels, from bank to bank. The people were able to move freely, and peace returned. Thus, a bridge is a symbol from angels, from God, that the people should live together - in tolerance and peace. A bridge should stand for as long as God has ordained that it should stand, be it the grand bridge at Mostar or a log across the stream."

That's the legend I was told. ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
that's not a legend.

that's the truth!

fuckin awesome bridge. bbc covered the re-opening ceremony live - showed the whole thing. my dad dutifully dvd'd it for me - stunning.

was sinan's top boy who designed and built it - not the man himself. (i think)

great pics.

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^ yes, they are! Ofcourse it's very good for Mostar and the country but I was kind of irritated by the amount of them. I visited Mostar last summer and was alsmot run over by them, I thought the bridge would collapse due the amount of people on it.

I heard a lot of Italian and German.

Again, great for Mostar!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Italian and German, my God. :) I like them though. The German tourists tend to be...annoying...I find they expect so much. Even when I'm serving German customers at my store - they don't understand why I don't have German-speaking employees or accept German currency...(Because you lost WWII, muthafukahs).

The Italians are fun though. They're so...easy going, I find. I've never served an Italian customer that I didn't give a huge discount to by the time they were ready to buy. ;) I like how respectful they are also. You see them taking a heart attack and blessing themselves in that circular Christian way every time they step on a "Sarajevo Rose" mortar splatter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^Yah, I have thesame experiences with Germans here in The Netherlands.

They always ask me for directions on the street in German and expect me to understand them and talk back in German. I tell them to piss of in Dutch. ;)

At my former job, in a clothing shop I also had thesame problems. I actually understand German and can talk a bit but when they give me that arrogant attitude I snap... hehe

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.