Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread that Seajer posted this in is closed, which is why I started a new thread:

"The reason most Americans don't know much about Canada is not due to stupidity, it's because Canada has a weak national culture."

Well anyways, this is one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen on SSC. Americans not knowing anything about us has NOTHING to do with a weak national culture. In fact, I think we have a stronger national culture than the Americans do, we're just more subtle in terms of expressing it. Americans don't know anything about us, not because they're stupid but because Americans are ignorant and have always been the most unilateral sons of bitches in the world.

"It doesn't mean they don't care about the people living there"

Trust me, it does.

I won't apologize for singling Seajer out, because it was ridiculous and the point had to be made.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
this should be closed also, and deleted just for spite.

the cool thing about SSC is that we have a PM system. useful for things like this.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Indeed. :)

You bash his generalization (Canadians have no culture) with your own generalization (Americans are ignorant) and it makes both of you look bad.

Not only does Canada have a national identity, but many Americans are also quite knowledgeable of the world around them.

·
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґ&#4
5,767 Posts
Americans don't know anything about us, not because they're stupid but because Americans are ignorant and have always been the most unilateral sons of bitches in the world.
hmm, I'd say that award actually goes to the Brits (no offence, duderinos). Or, even more likely, some third-world country with no education system.

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
While I would like to castigate zachus22 for his biting comments, I can't because he is largely correct (there are always individual exceptions) by what he said. Let's be honest here, there are reasons why the US is one of the most hated countries in the world, and they aren't the reasons Fox News would have its audience believe. "American" hubris, ignorance, imperialism and jingoism are over the top. By contrast, Canada was voted 1st in a recent poll as having the most positive image.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Seajer was obviously just some 15 year old trying to rile people up. He wasn't worth the reply.
EDIT:eek:ops, sorry. I mixed up seajer with the other guy. nevermind!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow, I am so honored that an entire thread has been created dedicated to my post! The reason I replied to the original thread is because the relationship between the U.S. and Canada fascinates me. First let me say that there are many things I admire about Canada, for instance, Canada is a progressive country that is miles ahead of the U.S. when it comes to the social issues of the day. I think your cities are clean and most Canadians I know are very nice people. When I said Canada has a weak national culture it's because I find that most of what Canadians watch on T.V. , listen to on the radio, or refer to regarding pop culture,is mostly created by and in the U.S. ( i do realise that there are Canadian musicians, actors, etc..) however, so many Canadians rip on the U.S. meanwhile will tune in later to watch the Sopranos or listen to their ipods and play on their Macs. The point being if Canada produced more homegrown genres of music or manufactured some new form of technology, Americans would probably pay more attention to you. Now, i'll wait for the lions to be unleashed on this post.

·
Registered
60 Posts
^ The guy is right. Bottom line, We have sold out and just bought into American culture and with every passing generation the Canadian "culture" seems to be fading away. Its really sad... but true.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
i agree as well.....but we can't help it, 80% of Canadians live within 2 hours of the US-Canada border. We're not spread out across our country since it's so damn cold up there. Another reason would be that the majority of our major urban centres are immigrants who go their own way when it comes to culture.

And it's also one of the reasons I am vehemently supportive of the CBC. The network needs to expand, it needs more funding....it needs to be more like the BBC. In the last five years, CBC's programs in my opinion are a huge flop....and you can't blame them with only $1.3 billion to work with for a website, radio, tv, and a news channel PLUS it also has to be done in french as well. Screw those who say the network should be privatized, if anything the network needs a billion dollars more. You also can't blame them for wanting to expand advertising on their network.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
I disagree.
Canada has it's own music scenes first of all. In Toronto and Montreal. Plus there is a big west coast and east coast music scene.

Also Canada has French culture. The only culture the US has going for it is ******* culture in the south.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Also Canada has French culture. The only culture the US has going for it is ******* culture in the south.
This is such a stupid comment on so many levels, you make Canadians look bad. You don't seem to even know what the word culture means. American culture is the most influential culture in the world.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I disagree.
Canada has it's own music scenes first of all. In Toronto and Montreal. Plus there is a big west coast and east coast music scene.

Well without that so called southern " *******" culture you refer to, there would be no rock and roll as you know it and hence no rock music from Toronto and Montreal. The entire genre of rock is made up of American music of the south as is blues, bluegrass, jazz, funk, rhythm and blues. The Stones knew this as did the Beatles. Listen to their early music especially and this is quite evident.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i agree as well.....but we can't help it, 80% of Canadians live within 2 hours of the US-Canada border. We're not spread out across our country since it's so damn cold up there. Another reason would be that the majority of our major urban centres are immigrants who go their own way when it comes to culture.

And it's also one of the reasons I am vehemently supportive of the CBC. The network needs to expand, it needs more funding....it needs to be more like the BBC. In the last five years, CBC's programs in my opinion are a huge flop....and you can't blame them with only $1.3 billion to work with for a website, radio, tv, and a news channel PLUS it also has to be done in french as well. Screw those who say the network should be privatized, if anything the network needs a billion dollars more. You also can't blame them for wanting to expand advertising on their network.
And if you look at my post in the original closed thread i referred to the geography of your cities to make my point. Americans like Canada in general and maybe could do a better job of aknowledging your countries contributions but it is hard for most Americans to really distinguish them when they don't see a world of difference between them. You hardly ever hear Americans talk shit about Canada unless provoked by anti-American comments yet it seems from my perspective that many Canadians rally behind hating on the U.S. with no nuance at all.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Anti-Americamism is mainly frustration. We don't the US, just our one way relationship with them. A lot of it is also fuelled by the government trying to constantly please them instead of us. Imagiune if almost all US laws and regulations required input from or were subject to major influence fromn China. After a whilke of tyjhat, you guys would be sick of China.

Excuse the typos I have an injury and typing is difficult. :)

·
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.
2,644 Posts
Wow, I am so honored that an entire thread has been created dedicated to my post! The reason I replied to the original thread is because the relationship between the U.S. and Canada fascinates me. First let me say that there are many things I admire about Canada, for instance, Canada is a progressive country that is miles ahead of the U.S. when it comes to the social issues of the day. I think your cities are clean and most Canadians I know are very nice people. When I said Canada has a weak national culture it's because I find that most of what Canadians watch on T.V. , listen to on the radio, or refer to regarding pop culture,is mostly created by and in the U.S. ( i do realise that there are Canadian musicians, actors, etc..) however, so many Canadians rip on the U.S. meanwhile will tune in later to watch the Sopranos or listen to their ipods and play on their Macs. The point being if Canada produced more homegrown genres of music or manufactured some new form of technology, Americans would probably pay more attention to you. Now, i'll wait for the lions to be unleashed on this post.
First of all you flatter yourself.

Pretty much everything you say has an element of truth to it, but you greatly over-simplify the facts. You improperly give total credit to your country (the US) for any and all of the culture that exists within your borders. For example, let's talk about Las Vegas, "America's" biggest entertainment mecca. Gambling is no longer the most important industry in LV's economy. Did you know that? Well it's true; the most important industry to LV's economy is "entertainment". Shows like Cirque de Soleil (from Montreal), and Celine Dion are the top draws. They pack them in every night, and they are Canadian. However, since they are located in the US, you consider this part of "American" culture, when in fact, they are not. This is just one quick example where Canada and Canadians have made a significant contribution to North American culture. There are literally hundreds of Canadians, if not thousands, who are musicians, comedians, media talking-heads, and actors, who work in the US, many of whom are considered "American" icons, even though they are from Canada. Lots of what you have watched on TV or on film had major Canadian input - you just didn't realize it at the time. Star Trek is one example for TV, both the actors that played Captain Kirk and Scotty were Canadians.

Regarding technology, consider that from just my hometown (Waterloo) - a small city. Ever heard of the RIM Blackberry? It was invented there and is manufactured in Waterloo. Or did you know that the US government and military depend on encryption technology invented in Waterloo to protect their secrets? The video chips in the Mars rover's cameras, where developed by a Waterloo company (Dalsa) ... and there is much more tech. from Waterloo used in the US.

Let's be candid here, "Americans" have little understanding of anything beyond their immediate concerns - and you are additional evidence of that. They (and you) can't see the forest for the trees in your own country, let alone mine. :lol:

Moral of the story: Don't pretend you know all that much about other countries, because you could stand to know a whole lot more about your own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts