SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
16,294 Posts
In Metro Manila.

Though there are some slums or lower class neighborhoods near some wealthy areas, certain areas are predominant of such social status.

The Northwestern area of Metro Manila tends to be more lower to lower-middle class especially the areas of Tondo, Navotas, Malabon, Lower Caloocan and Valenzuela.

The Central area of Metro Manila is a mixture of different social classes but there is a large significance of middle to upper class especially around Makati.

Other areas such as Ortigas, the eastern parts of Quezon City (except Payatas), Parañaque, Las Piñas and Muntinlupa also have such significance.

·
centralnatbankbuildingrva
2,608 Posts
In Richmond, The Well off areas are the west end, short pump, parts of north side, west south side,and the fan/Monument Avenue. The ok parts are the far east end, parts of south-side, Inner city/ downtown (Shockoe bottom, Jackson ward, Church hill) and the far north side. The poor parts are just north of downtown at Gilpin court, mosby court,church hill north, and on south-side in Blackwell.

·
Registered
364 Posts
London doesn't really have clear cut 'rich' and 'poor' areas, since it is so big. I suppose generally speaking the West is the richest part, but there are plenty of poor and rich areas in the northwest, east, north and south. The poorest area overall is probably the south.

·
2,608 Posts
^^ London is considered the greatest example of the East/West division in Europe (which I mentioned before) because of all the industry

·
ONE WORLD
9,022 Posts
now it's more of a north south divide given that the East End is gentrifying so fast, from hipster Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Hoxton to current belle du jours Hackney and Dalston - plus there's Canary Wharf and the Stratford Olympics hub to boot.

The south of course is picking up also thanks to Southwark, Bankside etc and now Brixton, Peckham and Camberwell now becoming the new in-things.

·
ONE WORLD
9,022 Posts
The thing with many old world cities, they develop on rivers. One side of the river will be where you set your ceremonial and business centre, and most of the people. The other side without a plethora of bridges (if any) will always be set up to play as second fiddle, and usually where the working classes, industry and brothels will be located.

·
2,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
The Bay Area has wealth in all quadrants of the region:

SF=West
Oakland=East
San Jose & Santa Cruz=South
Napa, Santa Rosa and Vallejo=North

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/7065/bayarea150k.jpg
Hey Bay Area good to see you back here!
Your correct about the high levels of wealth around the Bay Area.

However one troubling trend I've noticed is that San Francisco seems to be on the hunt to poach businesses, especially tech, from other parts of the Bay Area.

So we're beginning to see more troubled areas in the far northern & eastern extremes of the Bay Area

·
Banned
43 Posts
I think poverty in the World tends to be more and more linked to education, sanitation, environmental development and urbanization than to poverty itself.

·
Fremdkörper
1,227 Posts
But there can still be a geographical pattern.

In Brussels wealth is almost without exception linked to altitude. The lower you get, the poorer it gets. This is a result of former industrialisation in the river valleys and inferiour living conditions due to floodings etc. It means that the actual city centre itself is also located in the poorer zone.

·
Premium Member
10,160 Posts
I do not not how true it is , but I have noticed the following , of course there are exceptions
in Many cities the west ends and the north areas of cities tend to be more wealthy than the east and south ends . How are these areas in your city , it could be both US and global .
In terms of income, the southeast of Brussels is by far the richest. But in general, income segregation in Brussels is much less severe than Paris for example.
In Brussels the worst areas are immediately to the west and to the north of the city center. It is, though, a city of contrasts. It can change from a decayed area to a wealthy posh neighbourhood within a couple of blocks.
Not for Brussesls. North and west are poor districts and south and east are rich districts.

That mainly has to do with the fact that the North and east districts lie lower near the industrial channel that connects Charlerloi to Antwerp and thus where industry used to be. And the south and east are higher up overlooking the poor in more green area's...That's how it used be since the 1800 hundreds and still is for a big part today.

I should also add the most high incomes live outside the capital district of Brussels in suburbs that are in Flanders and Wallonia and that most low incomes live in the Brussels region.

Brussels Capital district 2009.

Map generated on this site: https://wijkmonitoring.irisnet.be/m...ewest/gemiddeld-inkomen-per-aangifte/1/2009/#

Form the same source:

The 5 lowest income districts in € 2009:

HISTORISCH MOLENBEEK 15057.39
KUREGEM DAUW 15036.95
KUREGEM BARA 15016.97
WESTSTATION 14754.34
MAROLLEN 14577.11

The 5 highest income districts in € 2009:

DIESDELLE 59876.79
PUTDAAL 51911.69
OBSERVATORIUM 41195.55
MONTJOIE - LANGEVELD 38326.20
VOGELZANG 37165.40

·
Super Moderator
21,445 Posts
^^ Hmmm, your two maps show a very telling story about wealth and poverty in São Paulo and Londrina. With São Paulo, the concentration of high-wealth communities seem to be clustered in the central part of the city, and as one moves further away from it, it becomes poorer. In Londrina, however, there is a small rich area in the center and another in the southwestern part of the city, while the rest are like middle class going down the ladder, and what strikes me is that with the southwest, immediately north of it is a very poor area. Hmmm, what are those districts, and what makes one of them very rich and its next door neighbor very poor?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts