Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question of what should be done with homeless people's possessions is being debated in Redding, in light of a federal judge declaring it unconstitutional for a city to destroy items taken during sweeps on unattended homeless camps.

The debate focuses on whether it's legal for homeless organizations to hold belongings that police find in camps or whether that should be the Police Department's responsibility.

Redding Loaves and Fishes / Redding Homeless Alliance is strongly opposed to any non profit, Christian or otherwise, setting precedent by receiving from the Redding Police Dept. homeless possessions,and holding them any less than the 90 days prescribed by law.How could a victim , should they have a problem with any of the non profits who decide to hold their possesions, find any justice from a Police and City Council , who refuse to acknowledge itheir total legal responsibility in the first place? I must ask myself why would any, and i underline any Christian organization want to be in league with a present City Council who has effectively made homelessness virtually and completly illegal?" Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening?"

If we cannot defend as Christians, the constitutional rights of Gods homeless, poor,and "least of the brethern", can we expect God to protect our constitutional rights as to what is preached from the Bible and to what is deemed "hate speech" behind the pulpits of our Churches ? Can we expect God to protect the medias rights, especially Christian media? Can our community expect divine protection in times of disaster ? Will the same measure we use be measured back to us?

Lord willing ,some very seriouse spiritual questions are going to be addressed about the homeless in our community. My desire is for local government to have an open and transparent dialog with all community members.For all those civic leaders,non-profits, and homeless advocates involved in the decisions, Redding Loaves and Fishes offers this prayer...

"That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your hearts being enlightened: that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power."

Director
Redding Loaves and Fishes
http://reddingloavesandfishes.com/

Link to Record Searchlight Article:
http://www.redding.com/news/2007/may...s-spur-debate/

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
Despite the jesus freaking, I think I agree with you that holding people's confiscated property should be a government function, not farmed out to non-profits. Only the government has real authority, and only the government has the mission of being fair.

PS, it's your right to post religion stuff, but you won't be taken very seriously by most people here. Plus, if you post your religious ideas, it invites others to do the same in response, including people who, like me, aren't religious or have very different ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts