SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today the sun was shining, so I decided to take a little bike-tour into "city" here in Borlänge. The camera isn't mine, I've just borrowed it from a relative (man I really need to get my own digital camera!). Ah well, here are the pics:

Remember the Old Watertower? ;) Maybe you saw it in an earlier thread. It was built as a watertower in 1906, and converted into apartments in 1992. The height is 32 m.

Seen from south

The top

One of the two buildings next to the watertower

One of our taller residential buildings

One of the five Dagny-buildings, our local commies here in town

One of its sisters

Ah, there we have Banverket, our local pride! It's our only highrise (42 m tall), and IMO quite beautiful :)

Looking up

Top detail

Quality Hotel Galaxen, our tallest hotel (29 m)

Kupolen, a big shoppingmall and the biggest spherical building in northern Europe (the diameter is 129 m!). It's got 3 floors with over 80 shops. Notice the dark clouds are coming...

Looking back on our dear Banverket and the Dagny-buildings on the right. Where did the sun go? I don't want rain on me so I'm starting to get home...

Opposite direction, the old area Hushagen with its watertower (not the same as the first one!)

On my way home, a taller building quite near my house. Seconds after this pic was taken I saw a black Corvette parked on a street nearby, but the owner drove away just when I was going to take a pic of it...>(

That's all folks, hope you liked it! :)

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Great pics :eek:kay: I really like Banverket .. it has an awesome look to it! And the old water tower aswell :)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Thank you, atlantica! Sweet of you to go on a bike tour for us--what a treat! :)

I gather you managed to make it home before the rain started.

I find it interesting that some of the buildings near the Old Watertower Apartments picked up the round theme, and I see it repeated elsewhere later. :cool:

Do you have any idea how big those apartments in the tower are? From the looks of it I can't imagine them being very large ... but surely they can comfortably fit one person, right? :eek:kay:

And of course I hope you'll get your own digital camera soon! :cheers:

·
Expert
933 Posts
sweet pics but is the building in the last pic crumbling? it has a hugecrack in it

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the replies :)

@WH: Yes the apartmentbuildings next to the Old Watertower has got some nice round shapes, the architect Åke Temnerud sure was inspired by the Watertower :) Quality Hotel (located just some 100 m away) has also got round shapes as you see.
The apartments are mostly 2 and 3 rooms (that's what the owner's website says), and the rent is around US $700/month or 500€/month. And I also hope that I get my own camera, I'm thinking of buying one soon :)

@Ringil: Nope, sadly I haven't got any pics from our citycenter, but I promise you will when I've bought a camera :D

@wolken: Lol, yes it looks like that, but it's just "art" (in some sort of way), it's bricks in different colours on the facade. The building was built in 1993 so it should stand some more years ;)

·
3:36
2,838 Posts
very nice pics! thanks very much, atlantica! :)

i like the ''commie''blocks as well, they're beautiful! but the watertower is just stunning! i love that in the past architects made everything look nice - watertowers, factories, even their chimneys! too bad nowadays architecture is so boring... (with few exceptions, of course!)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its nice. I like it. Like most European cities, it has lots of character which US cities dont have. If I visit I expect to stay at your place.

·
Expert
933 Posts
AtlanticaC5 said:
@wolken: Lol, yes it looks like that, but it's just "art" (in some sort of way), it's bricks in different colours on the facade. The building was built in 1993 so it should stand some more years ;)
weird arm imo! we have loads of houses looking like that here but without that "art"

·
Illustrator
6,660 Posts
I like the water tower, Banverket and Kupolen. And congratulations, you manage to make a skyline pic of Borlänge:

Btw, I haven't seen any new drawings from you for a long time. Why is that?

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again :)

@Nightsky: I'm sorry I haven't drawn for a while, and that's mainly because of two reasons: 1. I don't find it as fun as before, but I don't say it's boring. I think and hope I will get to a new "drawing-period" 2. I'm at the end of my 9th and last year in "grundskola", so I've got quite a lot of homeworks and projects nowadays that takes up quite much of my free-time. But, as I said, I hope I will get my interest back (and the time! :D)
And yes, you could say that the pic shows "Borlänge skyline" :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts