Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A pano I did of Hong Kong a few days ago - how a city SHOULD look at night

and the view from my Hotel

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
Bloody awesome. Heck we try and put lights on the top of our buildings, and yet the nimby's get their way all the time. Only real exception being T42, but even the lightstip at the top is rarther subdued.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Maybe London isnt the place for a Hong Kong type skyline- that might be better in Cardiff, Hull, Edinburgh or Liverpool.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Canary Wharf especially when the Pan Peinsula is lit up won't look bad

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Accura said:
Quite an amazing place. Would I want to live there? No thank you.
I would love to live in Hong Kong for a couple of years. It's an extraordinary city. It's bigger and more exciting than Singapore, more international than Tokyo, and far more so than Shanghai. Bangkok has good nightlife and restaurants but otherwise it's ugly, polluted, and extremely congested. Hong Kong has a good balance IMO. Even if you don't want to live there I would definitely recommend a visit.

@Chest
Nice photo. The 8pm lazer show is amazing from Tsim-Sha-Tsui. :yes:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
chest said:
Canary Wharf especially when the Pan Peinsula is lit up won't look bad
Provided you have a fascination for monotonous shoebox-shaped offices.

Those penciltowers are weird. You'd expect those to be beeswax residentials. However, agreed: the HK nightlife shots are grand! Shots from Shanghai can be spectacular as well.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
^^^:lol: - more like an orgy...

Accura said:
Quite an amazing place. Would I want to live there? No thank you.
I would love to live in Hong Kong, and I daresay most young urban Brits (and others) would - it is such an amazing place. You'd be surprised you know.

I wouldn't like to live there forever, but a year or two would be good. Beer's expensive though.

Which hotel did you stay at chest? Somewhere near Hong Kong park I see - Pacific Plaza?

Does anyone know the progress of the new HK tallest being built in Kowloon? At the back of Norman Foster's cultural centre?

There is another biggie in Kowloon which must be nearing completion now...

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
It's the ICC. Now it's at level 26. :)

Actually, I strongly recommend you guys have a look at Hong Kong. I'm extremely surprised that many Britons didn't know much about HK. Somebody even asked if we lived on fishing boats. And then there's always these very biased reports from BBC against HK.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
I'm off to Hong Kong in 2 weeks on the way to visit family in Oz... I hope to get some good (7 million pixels) shots of HK! :)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Rachmaninov said:
Actually, I strongly recommend you guys have a look at Hong Kong. I'm extremely surprised that many Britons didn't know much about HK. Somebody even asked if we lived on fishing boats. And then there's always these very biased reports from BBC against HK.
Britons do know about Hong Kong. Most won't know much but they certainly know far more about it than the average citizenry of any other western country. The guy asking about the fishing boats may be ignorant (though in fact some Hong Kongers do still live the sampan life....) but that's hardly typical.

And the BBC news I have read about Hong Kong is generally positive. Just the other day they ran a feature on the BBC evening news about Hong Kong's booming economy and the retrun of confidence in the city. This is quite surprising given that news is always dominated by bad news and there is plenty of bad news coming from the various war zones around the world.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Hong Kong look fantastic with those huge buildings (well huge by UK city standards) just appearing out the side of hills. I would love to live in that guys hotel room too, the view was just immense.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Watching BBC World in Toronto, there are usually positive things to say about Hong Kong. There was a recent special documentary during the Handover anniversary on July 1st. Anyways, here are some historical shots that I thought might interest some of you, showcasing some colonial architecture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
View from the Botanical Garden, looking north to Kowloon. On the waterfront, the building with the rotunda is the Old Supreme Court, begun about 1906 and completed 1911 or 1912. Picture is of Central District from 1912

Central District (2006)

Victoria Peak, about 1912

Looking up towards Victoria Peak (2006)

Hong Kong Botanical Garden 1912

This house stood in the district of Tsim Cha Tsui, Kowloon, on Chatham Road S., between Prat Ave. and Cameron Rd. View is north, with the Gun Club Barracks in the distance.

·
βAŇŇĘÐ
7,544 Posts
These pics are getting me excited, only a week to go until I'm there!

Shall take many great pics, I'm there for 2 weeks. And in London on Friday, so a few photo threads by me will pop around I think :cheers:

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
^ London-b, to see the laser and lights show pictured in the first photo, make sure you're standing on the Tsim-Sha-Tsui promenade at the foot of Nathan Road in Kowloon at 8pm. That is the best vantage point. The show lasts for about 20-30 minutes. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts