SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sad day for Jackson fans today after the shock death of the 'King of Pop'

Does anyone have memories of growing up with his music, and did anyone get to his concert at Roundhay Park in 1988. Please share them here.

I went to see the 'Bad' tour at Wembley, it was the most awesome concert experience I've ever experienced.

·
Mhmm?
3,719 Posts
I grew up listening to his music. Nearly every song, with the exception of You Are Not Alone, is fantastic, with instantly recognisable themes and motifs.

In my second year at uni did my major project on his life and works, finding out some really incredible things about him - did you know he used to beat-box his basslines and percussion sequences for his producers to then imitate with synths, for example?

I think these are two quotes which explain him the best; "The Jacksons are a scary family. They've been a public-relations construct and a myth in progress from the start... their story is a tale told by journalists, scriptwroters, fans and a cast of ex-employees, from lawyeres and managers to gardeners and valets..." - Margo Jefferson, 2007

"He is probably the most famous person on the Planet - God help him." Sir Bob Geldoff, 1996.

Subliving.

·
LS17
1,324 Posts
^^ I WAS THERE!!!

I absolutely loved Michael Jackson.. he was THE greatest entertainer in the world!! I was fortunate enough to attend the Dangerous Tour in Roundhay Park in 92, as seen in the video. I was only 5 but still remember it.. How it was so dark and then all of a sudden came to life, the roar of the crowd.. He 'flew' off at the end over the crowd with a jetpack on and in a space suit (or was it the beggining :lol:). I still have my ticket too!! I wanted to go see him again in London but couldn't get tickets.

I think MJ is the only artist who constantly put out amazing music (definatly the sound of my childhood) and the only artist to constantly deliver AMAZING music videos, and performaces.

His death is a real loss to the music world, but his music, dancing and videos will continue to inspire people for years to come.

R.I.P

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I was a Jackson 5 fan in my childhood, After Thriller "my late teens" it all went tits up musically for me and personaly for him, great dancer though !

Oh well it's definately tits up now ! RIP Michael.. thanks for the good old times.

·
LS17
1,324 Posts
I didn't know he played Roundhay Park in '88 until now (thought this might have been at Temple Newsham) but it was def in '92 he played his Deangerous tour at Roundhay Park.

EDIT: Just googled it and he did play Roundhay Park in 88 as well as 92.. must have liked it ;)

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I guess M.J. must hold the record attendance for any live event in Leeds, especially if you add both audiences together, not unless Madonna played R.P. twice. Does anybody know who supported Jacko at the gigs.

·
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the Bad tour in '88 at Wembley as a young impressionable teenager, having been an avid Jackson fan, it was truly climatic. After hours of waiting with over a hundred thousand other fans, a big wall of lights filled the entire stage, and as the wall of lights came down he was there posed ready to begin with Bad, then performed many of everyne's favourates. Fantastic.

I know he'd gone off on a bit of a tangent in recent years, but I don't think it was entirely his fault considering his lack of childhood and uniquely isolated life, and apparently false allegations by proven money grabbing people. I choose to remember the days that he was a legend and absolute musical and performing genius.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Helped to put on a 'Michael Jackson concert' at my primary school at the height of Bad-mania. Remember getting a bootleg version of the album with photocopied inserts. Remember vividly sitting out on the patio while the waves of noise drifted over from Roundhay Park during THAT concert. Amazing to think he was actually in Leeds at the height of his powers and fame. Then he plumbed new depths of weirdness and was impossible to like. Sad news, but there are more important things happening in the world right now.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
RIP MJ you were certainly one of the biggest musicians of all time. Here is a YEP retrospective when he played at Roundhay Park for the Bad and Dangerous tours of 1988 and 1992. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/When-park-hailed-birthday-boy.5408060.jp

Sign InRegisterWhen park hailed birthday boy Jackson

Michael Jackson at Roundhay Park in 1992

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date: 27 June 2009
As his millions of fans around the world come to terms with the shock news that Michael Jackson has died, Ian Rosser takes a look back at the King of Pop's two unforgettable shows in Roundhay Park, Leeds.
WHEN most people reach 30, they celebrate the day with family, friends and maybe a few drinks.

Of course, if you're the King of Pop and arguably the most famous person on the planet, that birthday bash is going to be somewhat grander.

So it was no surprise that Michael Jackson marked his third decade by performing a concert regarded at the time as one of the most high-tech ever staged.

Luckily for the people of Yorkshire, Jackson chose to mark his personal landmark in Leeds.

The sprawling Roundhay Park in the east of the city was the location and fans rushed to buy tickets for the show.

Within days, 80,000 tickets had been snapped up. When 10,000 more went on sale shortly after, they quickly disappeared too.

The gig took place on August 29, 1988, which was also Bank Holiday Monday.

The scale of the production was enormous, with 3,000 lights illuminating a huge stage flanked by four giant video screens.

At the centre of it all was a 5ft 10in music phenomenon who would sell 170 million albums during a 40-year career.

As he took to the stage, the crowd immediately burst into a rendition of Happy Birthday To You.

"I was hoping you'd forget," he responded. "Thank you. That's very, very kind of you. I love you all."

He then proceeded to perform songs from his latest album, Bad, plus hits from his earlier releases, including Thriller, which remains the best-selling album of all time.

The concert was hailed by critics as "perhaps the most dazzling two hours of showmanship ever witnessed in Britain".

One reviewer wrote: "When the opening fanfare reached a climax he shot out of the stage in a Jack-in-a-box and stood motionless in front of a sea of adoring faces for a full two minutes. One regal turn of the head brought a mighty roar from the crowd and he was off."

It was estimated that the city council, which hosted the concert, made £100,000 from the event. A further £70,000 was handed over to Give for Life children's charity.

Many of the 90,000 in the crowd had assumed it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see their pop idol in their own backyard. They were wrong.

Four years later, Jackson was back, and this time the show was even more spectacular.

He graced the stage again at Roundhay Park on August 16 1992.

It had taken six days to build the stage, about 15 miles of cables had been laid, 33 lorries had been used to carry the equipment and 13 tour buses ferried around his 245-strong entourage.

Promoting his next album, Dangerous, Jackson again thrilled the crowd, which was this time limited to 60,000.

A highlight was the moment he plucked a female fan out of the audience and sang She's Out Of My Life to her.
Those Roundhay Park concerts certainly must have been something for Leeds as a city.

Didn't Michael Jackson also play at the Batley / Frontier Variety Club early in his career in around the Off The Wall era as I believe someone mentioned on Look North yesterday? Where did MJ stay in Leeds during his visits and did he use Leeds Bradford Airport? How come did he not tour during the Thriller era?

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
Has anybody else been emailed tonnes of terrible, terrible MJ jokes at work?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Jacko's "forbidden love" for a Leeds boy, courtesy of the Mirror

Terry George leapt up excitedly as the phone rang. It was 9pm and he knew exactly who it would be… the most unlikely best friend a 13-year-old boy could have.

It was none other than his pop idol Michael Jackson, who had been calling his Leeds home like clockwork for the past five months after striking up a bizarre relationship.

But this time the besotted young fan’s excitement soon turned to shock and embarrassment as Jacko’s voice crackled down the line.

“He’d ring at 9pm on the dot three times a week and we became like best friends,” Terry recalled. “But on this night he sounded different. The line went quiet and I asked if he was still there.

“Then, suddenly out of nowhere, he asked me if I ..."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...-was-wrong-but-i-forgive-him-115875-21476871/

I think Terry George made it all up, he's a horrible little man who'll do anything for a bit of media coverage. He even has an insincere little tribute to MJ on his website

·
Administrator
34,855 Posts
I saw the Bad tour in '88 at Wembley as a young impressionable teenager, having been an avid Jackson fan, it was truly climatic. After hours of waiting with over a hundred thousand other fans, a big wall of lights filled the entire stage, and as the wall of lights came down he was there posed ready to begin with Bad, then performed many of everyne's favourates. Fantastic.

I know he'd gone off on a bit of a tangent in recent years, but I don't think it was entirely his fault considering his lack of childhood and uniquely isolated life, and apparently false allegations by proven money grabbing people. I choose to remember the days that he was a legend and absolute musical and performing genius.
this is the sort of thing i can respect :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
It would be wrong not to reflect on the negative as well as the possitive of his life. We may never know the nature of the relationships with some of the children MJ surrounded himself with. He was a very troubled person, was there a more sinister side to his lifestyle or was he deeply misunderstood man with a "Peter Pan" complex? Shame ,it took the shine off a brilliant career of a man at the top of his game.

·
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To be fair, Molly Sugden didn't quite play the same influential roll in my formative years and provide me with the same level of entertainment as an international pop icon as Michael Jackson did: but I'll concede that hers is a sad loss too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts