Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i realise a lot of people will not like this but i think it would be a good idea to have two national stadiums. obviously wembley would be the main one without question it is the home of football but a second one, somewhere such as the one proposed in the midlands. just an idea.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
No, don't think there is need to build another.

Old Trafford is the second one anyway. Building another would be a complete waste of money(enough was spend on Wembley, although its great!)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see what you mean jozblade about OT it was just a few albion fans were talking about it on monday at wembley and thought i would see what anyone on here thought about it. i was thinking more purpose built for england with no local team playing there but i suppose if one was built in brum, brum city would always end up playing there

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
With England's plentiful supply of outstanding stadia you really dont need another purpose built stadium I reckon. Old Trafford holds more than most countries national stadiums anyway. Then you have the New Anfield coming 35 miles down the road, St James Park will probably hold 60,000 soon enough. COMS - whats that - around 48,000 seater? Sunderlands Stadium of Light 49,000 all seater. Isn't there talk of Birmingham City getting a large new stadium? Would just seem like a bit of a waste of money building another stadium when you already have plenty.

·
1,226 Posts
When would this stadium be used?

·
10th February 2008
60,588 Posts
With England's plentiful supply of outstanding stadia you really dont need another purpose built stadium I reckon. Old Trafford holds more than most countries national stadiums anyway. Then you have the New Anfield coming 35 miles down the road, St James Park will probably hold 60,000 soon enough. COMS - whats that - around 48,000 seater? Sunderlands Stadium of Light 49,000 all seater. Isn't there talk of Birmingham City getting a large new stadium? Would just seem like a bit of a waste of money building another stadium when you already have plenty.
COMS.

It's short for 'City Of Manchester Stadium'. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When would this stadium be used?
general concensus mate was sharing internationals with wembley, although the more i type on the topic the more far fetched i see it becoming! the 2nd stadium could have the estonia type games while wembley has the more trendy ties like russia

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Personal opinion, but I think that the national stadium should only be used for cup ties (including international tournaments) and that international friendlies should be nationwide.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personal opinion, but I think that the national stadium should only be used for cup ties (including international tournaments) and that international friendlies should be nationwide.
a lot of people have said that mate (obviously i never speak to anyone more southern than the midlands so maybe biased) they would like us to employ a similar system to the likes of germany who tour the country for international ties

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
a lot of people have said that mate (obviously i never speak to anyone more southern than the midlands so maybe biased) they would like us to employ a similar system to the likes of germany who tour the country for international ties
Indeed, and it's not just from a sports perspective either. An international friendly makes literally hundreds of thousands for the local economy. Having all this poured into London is completely unfair, considering the majority of England fans don't live there. The impact of the England internationals on the area around Old Trafford was quite phenomenal.

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
I'm sorry but the whole 'England on the road' thing was codswallop because the FA plumped for Old Trafford 90% of the time. Hmm Higher capacity...more tickets, more money.

If they did actually share it out equally it would of been a massive success.

Now if they picked Old Trafford more often then not because of the capacity then it was clear that either Wembley or more large club stadiums were needed. How many clubs are willing to cough up the doe and tie themselves down to further debt, and how many clubs can fill 60-90k stadiums? Probably only 4 in this country. Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,727 Posts
Everton are looking at a 55,000 seater as well.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Its out for public consultation but has anyone seen any renders for Everton's new stadium?

Everton move consultation planned

Remaining at Goodison is not a financial option, the club says
A public consultation is to be carried out on plans to move Everton Football Club out of Liverpool.
The club could build a 55,000-seater ground in a development in Kirkby town centre that will also include shops, a hotel and a supermarket.

On Wednesday, Knowsley Borough Council gave the go-ahead to a major consultation on the proposals.

An event will be held in June in the town to give the public a chance to comment on the plans.

Knowsley Council said the development would create about 2,000 jobs in the town and boost the economy by up to £21.5m a year.

White flag

The consultation will focus on the community's opinions of the regeneration of Kirkby town centre.

Two options are to be given - the first of which is a gradual redevelopment in line with a unitary development plan developed 10 years ago.

The second more radical option, includes the new stadium, retail space and residential units.

Everton FC said an alternative to Goodison Park would increase capacity and improve corporate facilities.

Many fans are unhappy with the proposed move four miles out of the city centre, with one shareholder telling last year's AGM it would be like "hoisting the white flag to Liverpool FC that they can have the city".

Chairman Bill Kenwright has said he does not want to be the "guy who moves Everton away from Goodison Park", but that remaining at the club's ageing ground was not a financial option.

The club's last plan to relocate to a 55,000-seater waterfront stadium at King's Dock, Liverpool, was abandoned in 2003.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,727 Posts
Its out for public consultation but has anyone seen any renders for Everton's new stadium?
None have been released yet,a lot of fans aren't happy with the proposed move to Kirkby because they'd prefer to stay well within the city boundaries.Everyone's waiting to see what location LCC can come up with.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
i see what you mean jozblade about OT it was just a few albion fans were talking about it on monday at wembley and thought i would see what anyone on here thought about it. i was thinking more purpose built for england with no local team playing there but i suppose if one was built in brum, brum city would always end up playing there
Not a bad idea in theory. Just would be an unecessary waste of money though. Would also see clubs like Villa and Man Utd lose money from semi finals etc.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
general concensus mate was sharing internationals with wembley, although the more i type on the topic the more far fetched i see it becoming! the 2nd stadium could have the estonia type games while wembley has the more trendy ties like russia
That just loses the whole point and magic of going to Wembley to watch a game.

And if it was needed(a smaller stadium), which would be rare id imagine, cos the England fan base is massive, then a smaller club venue could be used.

Save all the money and pump it into the English game, i.e training facilities to improve the countries footballers etc.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
I do agree with moving the friendlies about though:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts