Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I was of a mood for some wild weekend weather pics. I Hope not all these collected have been seen before:

first, part of a great series posted by Leorex on flickr: get a drink, stand back on a balcony in Potts Point and watch the show...

credits for the next is a little confusing: connected posted one of the series from flickr with credit to laurens28, but I've some on webshots posted by blindantelope , and on another site by kcoates. So ...? It' Sept 2004

from western Sydney

A famous repeat oldie by our own Matixvolta who took another username I think, and I forget what it was.

maybe...

and another old favourite (repeat) from the Bureau of Meteorology

which goes with

and of course the dear old Flee, Fools, Flee

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Matixvolta became Millux.

Sydney does have a reputation for having some of the most spectular storms in the world. Amazing shots of nature at its best.

I have also found an even better shot of storms advancing on the city, as posted numerous times on this forum.

and another one

And then there's the aftermath

·
Perthite
8,046 Posts
what is that last photo that you posted Bronte Boy? I love stormy pics :)

Fabian is that snow or ice on that motorway? If its snow i didn't know it snowed in Sydney :|

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
what is that last photo that you posted Bronte Boy? I love stormy pics :)

Fabian is that snow or ice on that motorway? If its snow i didn't know it snowed in Sydney :|
Bullswool, the southern beaches storm approaching pic, which I call 'Flee, Fools, Flee' is one I saved about three years ago for a similar extreme weather thread, and unfortunately I have now lost track of the photographer details.

On the other hand I think the two above it (Post #1)taken by our own Miliux (ex-Matixvolta/ publicly Nexxus I think) just might be two of the most awesome lightning column photographs ever taken. I treasure them, anyway.

The hailstorm which you asked Fabian about was late 2004 when we just happened to be doing wild weather threads, and it was extraordinary - painted streets all over Sydney as white as a European city under snow. Some web posters posters called it 'The Fathers Day Storm' ( and of course the NSW north coast has been tragically hit by severe storms over the past 48 hours).

I have only been able to capture a small version of this ice storm pic, contributed to the Sydney Morning Herald I think by resident Mike Langford:

And there was ANOTHER one on August 15 last year, after a period of unseasonally WARM winter weather. What the fark's going on? I hear you say. Well may you ask.

Union Sq Pyrmont - by Nikola Matcham

Umbrella Man - by Richard Hughes

By Sarah Spencer

Meantime, I spent most of my spare hours today, frustratingly, trying to find decent-sized, downloadable images from a wonderful set posted on Flickr by Sydney photographer hopeless128. Unfortunately I only got this modest sized one. A real warm city storm, and he had people playing about in it at an intersection - like residents of Bombay when the monsoon finally comes (if anyone can access them, pls post)

and a couple of other weathery pics I just grabbed along the way. Sorry photographers: I've scrambled the details ,

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I don't mind people saving my photos, as long as they acknowledge them and not make it for commercial use. eg. selling it to media. Then i won't be happy.

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind people saving my photos, as long as they acknowledge them and not make it for commercial use. eg. selling it to media. Then i won't be happy.
Noted Miliux. I wouldn't do anything like that anyway. :)

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
^^

It was a bloody hard photo to take too. If i remember, my strike rate for lightning photos are 1:73. Had to shut all gadgets and light off because of reflection and take it every 30seconds.

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brisbane apparently doesn't do a bad storm sky either: this was off a Brisbane blog site that credits smorrebrod rom pom:

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Outside of the US, the Australian cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane have some of the most extreme weather in the world (in terms of sudden storms and wild winds), this is generally not the case in Europe or Asia where most weather is predictable, including typhoons. A little known fact is that Australia gets almost as many tornadoes a year as the US, although they are typically on a smaller scale and tend to be in areas where it is sparsely populated. Great photos by the way guys!

·
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a variation on that Brisbane sky: damn I wish photobucket would allow a larger size

anyway ...one night, little Daniel Grollo knelt down and prayed for intervention on the world's tallest residential tower ...

he prayed and prayed and prayed ...

and I believe Culwulla has previously posted the result

1 - 14 of 14 Posts