Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got thinking about our magnificent skyline, its height is w/ few peers, its length along the lakefront is impressive......

.....but something has always bothered me.....it is sort of hard to verbalize...but I will try.

Does our skyline hav enough girth? That is does it extend west from the lake w/ sufficient mass / height density to correspond to its neck-breaking height , and extraordinary length

I got this idea after viewing some of Krchyko (sp????) photos on the Chicago by me thread.....from this view CHicago's skyline seems a bit wispy.

If highrise development aggresivley expands beyond the river to at least Halsted would this issue be solved......does the central area plan deal w/ this to any great degree?

Thoughts......

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
in some parts the girth is quite spansive. river north is also helping fill in the bonny north side of dpwntown. the thig is that when looking at those pics your eyes are drawn to the super tall skyscrapers in the background like the JHC or the waterveiw etc. but ther is more dencity than meets the eye. behind that theres high rise packed streetervill hidding behind it all and there are more nid/high rises in the forground that due to the hiegh of s number of other skycsrapers seem to almost fade away to haveno significance in the skyline. at the street level though these buildings have more of a presence. and its getting better with all the new construction and proposals. i would like though to see mor gerth west of the south loop south of the sears to help connect the central station /musium campus to the rest of the skyline

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Also - and this is very much a Chicago phenomenon - flat terrain + compass-point grid create an optical illusion, wherein individual buildings line up in front of each other, with an open field of blue sky behind. The effect is that of a single skyscraper silhouette, even though there may be many other towers both in front of and behind it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts