Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
18,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures from the weekend before Memorial Day. I was in Dewey Beach for the weekend and we took a short trip to Ocean City on that Sunday.

Near 4th Street.

"Jesus on the Beach" is a popular place where Randy Hoffman, a minister, carves out religious depictments from mounds of sand. He makes new sculptures every once in a while. Strangely, and fortunately, the sculptures rarely get vandalized, and sometimes go for a week without getting touched before it's time for a new sculpture.

This one is incomplete. While walking back from the car, Randy Hoffman was scuplting the city of Jerusalem below the cross.

Looking towards the Pier.

The Ocean Gallery, an ugly place covered with cheap oil paintings which hang from every inch of the walls.

The Firefighter Memorial, on the Boardwalk at Division Street, was deicated in 2006 to firefighters who gave their lives on September 11.

The Pier and its rides.

The Boardwalk near the Pier. The old Ocean City Life Saving Station and lighthouse, now a museum, is in the distance at the inlet. The museum was once the headquarters for the U.S. Life Saving Service and the Coast Guard. It now houses a museum on beach life, an aquarium, and other exhibits.

Ocean City from the Pier.

The Boardwalk at the pier. The old Ocean City Life Saving Station is in the background. Playland is also partly visible in the center.

The Boardwalk.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
Who patronizes OCMD, Matt? When I went there in 1998... I remember seeing a lot of people in Pittsburgh Pirates hats.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Plenty of DC and B-more folks fill it up (my daughter was just there for high school senior week). I heard a TV news bite that the amusement park will probably close at the end of this summer for good. I hope it can be saved, it's such a part of OC, but they aren't making enough money to continue.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Who patronizes OCMD, Matt? When I went there in 1998... I remember seeing a lot of people in Pittsburgh Pirates hats.
A plurality of OC people come from Baltimore and DC metro (probably more Baltimore than DC), a lot from PA west of the Philadelphia area and a smaller bunch from NY and NJ. There's always been a curious dichotomy between people who go to the Delaware beaches and OC. Delaware trippers often view OC as being noisy, congested and somehow beneath their sensibilities. The implication is that people who can't afford better go to OC but given the prices you have to pay at OC and the huge number of very expensive condos, the income thing just doesn't work.

The thing I love about OC is that compared to places like NC beaches (where I have been many times too), in OC, I can rent a condo near the boards, park my car when I arrive and don't look at it until it's time to pack up and leave. The beach and the boardwalk is right there a block from my condo. My kids can come and go without rides and there is enough junk food to clog my arteries for months. When I went to NC, I had to drive everywhere but in OC, all I do is wipe the salf off the windshield when I leave. Delaware is similar to NC, although smaller. OC packs about as much into 5 square miles of sand as is humanly possible.

·
18,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mainly Maryland and DC people. There's a decent amount of people from Souetheast PA, and an even smaller amount of people from New Jersy and Virginia.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I love boardwalks. There is often a knee jerk idea that water edge locations need to be all green and parky. Though I do not condone developing every inch of shoreline I think urban places should have jamb packed dense settings like this.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I love boardwalks. There is often a knee jerk idea that water edge locations need to be all green and parky. Though I do not condone developing every inch of shoreline I think urban places should have jamb packed dense settings like this.
I think Md has made a good compromise. We only have 30 miles of oceanfront but 20 miles of Assateague are undeveloped and relatively natural, the 10 miles of OC are developed to the max.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ocean City is a nice beach, it gets stale going year after year multiple times. But there is a pretty decent nightlife that extends things a bit. I think it's good for people in the area to have a variety of beaches 4 hrs or so or less away though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts