SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a collection of pictures I took today, + a few of this April and last year.
Treptower Park is a large public park as well as a train station of Berlins' circle line. Both are located by the river Spree, southeast of the city centre.

Enjoy!

Capitalist East Berlin (2nd highest ,scraper' (if you wanna call it this way) in town, with 125 m)

Gentrification taking place along the Spree.

A nice old church.

The local beer garden - Capitalism has arrived here as well.

Bridge to the "Island of Youth", where concerts are taking place throughout the summer.

A nice house boat.

The Spree widens here and flows around a couple of islands.

The Skyline of Berlin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Entering the Plänterwald - a little forest adjacent to the park.

Inside the forest there is a very interesting abandoned site: which used to be the largest theme park in the former GDR is now being reconquered very fast by nature after it closed down 10 years ago. The owner went bankrupt and escaped to Peru where he and his son were caught while trying to smuggle drugs out of the country. Quite a strange story.

Here you can see beheaded dinosaurs - just as dead as in reality.

They even have Berlins' largest ferry wheel until the new one at Bahnhof Zoo will be constructed (if it will).

Another abandoned building, right next to the theme park. Used to be a beer garden. Looks quite creepy in a stormy autumn afternoon.

Dinosaurs grazing on a clearance (yes, I really LIKE that place).

A pond, back in the Park.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
--Final part--

Must be nice to have such a park right in front of the frontdoor.

Maybe the highlight of the entire park is the largest Sovjet World War II memorial outside the former Soviet Union. It's very kitschy and propagandistic, of course, but still remarkable. 7,000 Soviet soldiers who died in the fight for Berlin in April and May, 1945, are buried here. All in all, 23,000 Soviet soldiers died in Berlin in those days.

One of the triumphal arch-like entrances. Not so sure that a bus fits through there ;)

A glimpse back through the gate.

Through the other gate. The inscription means about this:
"Your brave deeds are immortal, your glory will survive centuries, your homeland will always remember you."

Stalinist propaganda.

Irony of the moment: Notice the plane in the upper left corner? That's a B.52, one of the bombers the Americans used to drop food over West Berlin during the blocade of 1949 when the Soviets had cut off the supply lines for West Berlin. Until recently they still flew over Berlin for tourists with money. Is the soldier down there about to raise his sword?

That's it! Thank you for your attention. Comments are highly welcomed.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I remember the name of this place from when I was in Berlin. I saw it in the S-Bahn map, but I just had no idea what was that place like.

No I see that I should have taken the chance to visit Treptow.

Tanks for sharing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's not one of the main tourist spots. Usually people go to Tiergarten, berlins' Central Park, when they want to see some green after walking the inner city.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts