SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to Asheville on Sunday for Mother's Day. Went to the BeBe Theatre to watch my nephews in a little diddy
and then dinner with Mom and the rest of the family at Zambra's (yummy!). So I was only in Asheville
for a couple hours but I snagged a few pics while I was up there. I will be back up there soon and will snag many more pics.

Lets start with the view from the BeBe Theatre on Commerce St. How many Subaru's can you count? :)

Before the show started I walked around the block and snagged a few pics.
Here is church with a
cool tower...I think its Episcopal..not sure.

Not in the picture above, but right across the street from the church was some graffetti that
said "Your mama loves eating pu55y". Gotta love Asheville :)

At the intersection of Church and Commerce is the Asheville Savings Bank. Guess what time I took this pic at?

And here are the Lexington condos underconstruction. I'm not sure I like the 2 story penthouse
part...looks a little out of scale.

Here is a nice mix of old and modern architecture.

The Kress building ... I wonder what they sell that is 5-10-25 cents.

Went down Church to the corner of Patton Ave. Not sure what the name of this brown building is...but it looks nice.

Check out all the detail that went into this building.

Well time ran out so I had to go watch the show...but after dinner I snagged a few more pics
as the sun was setting...sorry the lighting is not very good.

Typical Asheville side street view. Very hilly.

And the famous S&W Cafeteria building.

I didn't get a pic of them...but the recently completed Battery Park Condos are just atrocious from the outside.
The view from Patton Ave of the condos is especially atrocious as you see a large a/c chiller unit on the roof of
the condos right next to the historic Flat Iron building. I can't believe they got away with building that crap.
Now if you actually live there... then the view is great because you don't have to look at your own building.

Ok rant over...moving on towards the Govt Plaza...here is the County Courthouse.

and then I think this is the coolest skyscraper in all of North Carolina.

Well it was getting too dark to take pics at that point...so I had to leave...very disappointed
that I only got the scratch the surface of the architecture in Asheville.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Great pics. I've got to get to Asheville one of these days for like a one-day or weekend getaway to experience the city for myself. In the meantime, these pics will do. :)

·
The Secret Word Is:
387 Posts
Great photos! The brown building is the Drhumor Building. It was built in 1895. Asheville, at one time, had several castle-like office buildings. The upper section of the Drhumor Building was removed during a renovation. I'm still surprised at the number of photos people take of the restored Asheville Savings Bank.

Have you seen the original architects drawings for the Jackson Building? The Westall Building and Jackson Building were originally designed as twins and looked like one building. While I like the original design for the Jackson; using a different style for both buildings gives the appearance of two seperate towers instead of one.

I can forgive the penthouse...since they added another floor! :eek2:
That is rare in Asheville. The penthouse was originally designed as one floor, not two. That is a height and floor number increase!

No Hendo photos? :D

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
uptownliving, you certainly had a busy weekend, but a very rewarding one, too. You really did a very good job, even though you only scratched the surface, as you nicely put it. Asheville is a gem for NC and I encourage EVERYONE who hasn't been there to pay the city a visit (I am referring to the downtown area). There is so much to do and it feels like a city. The preservation of older buildings - worthy of saving - is fantastic!!! I have been to all the areas shown here, yet they look as new to me as the first time I saw them. Great job, uptownliving :eek:kay:

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
nice pics.

-

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Nice. Haunted Head will love this.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice photos. I went to Asheville a lot as a kid, but rarely spent time downtown. I'll have to get back there soon, it's only 3 1/2 hours from Augusta.

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
macon4ever said:
Nice. Haunted Head will love this.
Damn straight.

Why not post this in the city photos section over at SSP? It's been so long since there've been any Asheville pics, you can't even find a thread when you search for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts