SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in a time of warehouse stores, strip malls, and fast food joints, so it is refreshing to see some traditional forms of livng, business centers, places of entertainment, and eateries. This thread dedicated to this nation's most well-preserved downtowns, from small towns to large cities. Feel free to post photos and internet links on towns and cities with great or well-preserved city centers and downtowns.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two cities I adore are in Pennsylvania and they are Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Chelsea is a small city in Michigan that I've always admired for being a "typical" small Midwestern "village".

If it weren't for the cars, you'd think this were an historic photo:

© tatermay98

Not bad for a little city with less than 5,000 people.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well I thought why not just go all out... so here you go
Buffalo, NY... My home for the next 5+ years

M&T bank Gold dome branch (yes that's 24 karat gold leaf on the dome, cost ~$1 Million)

***Look at the building size compared to the people next to it.***
Shea's Buffalo Theatre

across from Shea's

rehab in progress

^^All pictures above are taken by WIGS
now from internet (flickr)
Ellicott Square Building

Buffalo City Hall

Guaranty Building

done

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I support my downtown. I go there at least once a month.

I know people who live in the suburbs who haven't been downtown in years!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Beautiful pictures, very nice to see some cities preserve their downtowns! I especially enjoyed those of Princeton, NJ, very, very colonial.

·
18,165 Posts
As far as preservation goes, the best example in Delaware is colonial New Castle. It was almost lost in the 1930s: John Rockefeller had plans to turn New Castle into a "living history museum", but the residents wouldn't sell him their property. He eventually had to settle on using Williamsburg, Virginia. Had Rockefeller gotten a hold of New Castle, anything built after the 1750s or so would've been torn down. That would be well over half of the colonial core.

While many of the places in these pictures are of houses and churches and whatnot, they are all located in the very middle of the central, colonial core. Buildings a few streets outward, which tended to be built in the early 1800s, are not shown.

·
Southeast Missourian
99 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but I like St. Louis' downtown lofts built into old department stores and office buildings.

Unfortunately, they lost some very nice buildings for no good reason.

·
Anti-pipi
495 Posts
I saw some Dutch flags in those pictures from xzmattzx so I checked wikipedia and sure enough, the town was originally settled by the Dutch, under the supervision of Peter Stuyvesant. It turns out this fellow was born 400 years ago not far from where I live. What a small word eh? :)

·
18,165 Posts
I saw some Dutch flags in those pictures from xzmattzx so I checked wikipedia and sure enough, the town was originally settled by the Dutch, under the supervision of Peter Stuyvesant. It turns out this fellow was born 400 years ago not far from where I live. What a small word eh? :)
The town was created by the Dutch, who established Fort Casimir, but the Swedes had been farming there even before that. The Dutch actually took control of New Sweden by baiting the Swedes into attacking them, then using the opportunity to conquer the colony.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts