Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning a trip to Paris and I'll most likely be there for a week. Of course, I want to see all the touristy bits first (it's my first overseas trip) such as the Eiffel Tower, the Champs Elysees, the Arc de Triumphe, the Sacre Coeur (and Montmartre), the Place de la Concorde, the Louvre, Notre Dame, even Ile des Cygnes, Jardin du Luxembourg and the Versailles Palace and so on.

But I'm wondering if anyone can recommend their favourite/a great place to see in Paris? Any places you'd recommend to a tourist? Anything out of the ordinary? Maybe something the average tourist rarely sees? Maybe restaurants? It seems that there's so much to see and do that one week is probably not even enough time!

I'm really looking forward to this trip and I look forward to all the recommendations also! This will be fun! :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you are there for 6 or more days you may be able to make room for a visit to Parc de Sceaux (Park Sceaux) and its chateau. I suggest you visit it around the 4th day because it will help you relax from 3 straight days or so of Paris sightseeing and hectic Parisians. Le Parc de Sceaux is in Sceaux, in the southern suburbs of Paris. It's an easy ride on the RER Line B southbound. Three stations are near the huge park but I recommend Parc de Sceaux station on the Saint-Rémy branch because you get to walk by some beautiful big detached houses before entering the park grounds. Enter the park through the gate at the end of Avenue Arouet. Be sure to print a map on Maps Google showing the RER stations and park layout so you don't waste time being lost and making it to the chateau. You'll feel the tranquility and birds of the huge park.

To avoid seeing the same things on the way back to the station, consider leaving the park through the Allée d'Honneur. At the end of the allé, make a left on Boul. du Maréchal Joffre. You'll see Bourg-la-Reine RER station on your left-hand side at the first intersection. From there you can either go back to Paris (northbound) or take advantage of your 1-day RER ticket (Zones 1-4) and continue onto Versailles. You'll have to connect onto RER Line C at Massy-Palaiseau, though, to continue onto Versailles Chantiers station. Unfortunately, suburban connections on the RER, especially Line C, can take long (like 30 minutes sometimes). But I think it's still faster than taking RER B back to Paris and connecting at Saint-Michel/Notre-Dame to connect to line C. Make sure you read the screen carefully for your train to Versailles Chantiers while in transferring at Massy-Palaiseau or you may end up back on RER B to Saint-Rémy or on RER C Paris-bound.

If you do Sceaux and Versailles the same day to save money on the RER you must start very early (9am or so). If you plan to visit all of Versailles palace inside do Versailles on its own day, instead. But Sceaux will offer tranquility and much, much less tourists than Versailles, even if the Versailles grounds are bigger, because tourists are everywhere in the Versailles grounds. You won't regret Sceaux.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Take a look at this thread, it's full of suggestions to visit Paris off the beaten tracks:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=621209

I can tell you that you will never manage to do all the touristy sights + all the less-famous-but-more-interesting neighborhoods in one week, just pick up what you're more interested in, whether it is modernist architecture, parks, ethnic streetlife, canals, urban villages or grand vistas :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts