SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
29,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What began as a desire to witness the midway construction stage of the Freedom Tower, soon transformed into a memorable traipse, conducted entirely on foot, from WTC area to the High Line Park, to the Madison Square and then onwards to the Central Park. I offer parts of it to the public enjoyment and scrutiny.

Rapidly rising Freedom Tower as seen from the Irish Famine Memorial, which imitates Celtic ruins somehow lost amidst a metropolis

Across the Hudson River one witnesses an emerging skyline of Jersey City, hardly recognizable from as recently as 2005

One of my favorite Art Deco buildings, stood right beside the old Twin Towers and was extensively damaged, then fully reconstructed. Built in 1927 or 1928, I forget.

Other new towers of the WTC complex can be seen rising in the vicinity

No idea when this building was constructed or what its purpose is, I assume it's from around 1910's. Located in the vicinity of the Madison Square Park

And the square itself... surrounded by a number of architectural gems and New York's history. Metlife Tower was deemed breathtaking 101 years ago, when it was completed. Well, I insist that it still is!

This well dressed gentleman exhibits an air of importance but most tourists, I reckon, fail to realize that it is the man responsibly for the purchase of Alaska. Many held a low opinion of that purchase, in his day, but he was a visionary and realized that future generations will appreciate it.

A relatively recent addition to the square

Walking around the square/park you are bound to come across President of the United States, Chester Arthur. Few remember him today, but this handsome statue preserve his memory for quite some time. P.S. he was quite a ladies man in his time.

The old Madison Square Garden, circa 1890, used to stand here, until it was demolished.

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
29,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Random shots

·
Zurück in die Zukunft
29,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Random continuation

WTC area construction

·
Registered
249 Posts
nice photos. New York city is becoming really beautiful,more than ever , by the way I was shocked when I saw Jersey's skyline

1 - 4 of 4 Posts