SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These pictures were taken yesterday around Hampstead Heath, the largest ancient park of London, also my favorite neighbourhood in this city.

Historically, Hampstead was known as a culturally rich residence because many writers, composers, intellectuals, artists and architects used to live here, the most famous among them are Karl Marx, Charles Dickens, and Sigmund Freud. However in recent years it is becoming a popular home place for pop stars, Hollywood actors, Middle East billionaires, including Jude Law, Brad Pitt, Elizabeth Taylor, Kate Winslet and Bjork. The house price here as a result has been driven to sky high, some of the detached houses showed below can reach 20 million British pounds.

Hampstead is described by Mark Pevsner as "a large collection of roads and passages which don't go in straight lines, houses of different ages, many of them good architecture but more often it's just the way they fit together, full of nice vistas and surprises."

Thanks for watching :cheers:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wow, wonderful people shots! The way they stand out in each photo is great.

And the neighborhood looks gorgeous. Thanks for the great quality photos. :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I really wish that you wouldn't have put a dead squirrel in this thread. Otherwise, nice shots. I love Great Britain.

·
Mariano
1,962 Posts
is it really the wealthiest neighbourhood?? :|

Anyway, great pics!!! ... especially the people shots :yes:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it really the wealthiest neighbourhood?? :|
It is one of the wealthiest indeed. If you look at the ranking of house price in London, Kensington in central London always occupies the first place, then it comes Regent Park. Heamstead is normally the third one.

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
I used to cruise the Hampstead Heath! One of George Michael's hang out spots too! :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is nice but to be honest it looks like normal suburbia in Australia, except some are by the beach.

Nice thoug, maybe I will do a thread on it for suburbs in Melbourne so you all can have a look.

·
1,929 Posts
^ I doubt normal suburbs in Australian can deliver houses anywhere close to these ones.. Most likely you are not paying attention to the size of the houses, quality of the roofing tiles and brick, windows, etc. These houses are comparable to those found in the richest neighborhoods in Canada -- certainly not the middle class ones.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We are fortunate to have houses of that calibre if not bigger we call them Mc Mansions and there are plenty of suburbs like these. The only difference is these houses are older. Canada housing is interesting they have no fences much like the USA, very odd.

·
George
622 Posts
:O I like the cars!!!! Too bad for the architecture...it just exudes old money, which means old fashioned!!! I can only imagine the interiors being completely gaudy

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Is nice but to be honest it looks like normal suburbia in Australia, except some are by the beach.

Nice thoug, maybe I will do a thread on it for suburbs in Melbourne so you all can have a look.
Bear in mind that Hampstead is located in Zone 2 of London, which is very central as London has 6 zones. You can not compare a house in the center of a metropolis with a villa in suburban Australia, the land price is hugely different.

looking forward to your thead of Melbourne suburbs

1 - 20 of 84 Posts