SkyscraperCity Forum banner

A week in Boston

7K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  santobonao 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
Went to Boston this past week for my birthday just for the sake of going there and seeing it. It is an amazing city and the week I spent there just flew by. Of all the American cities I've been to, this one reminded me the most of Melbourne. With the old brick buildings co-existing with modern high-rises, plentiful parks, bushy tree covered streets, small laneways, a more cultural and educated scene,and a feeling of cleanliness, it was almost like a parallel universe. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures:

South End along Massachusetts Ave

John Hancock- Tallest building in New England

The Prudential Tower

Views from the Prudential Tower- Looking toward Newbury St/Charles River

Big John, One of my favourite 70's boxes

Yours truly

Fenway Park

Boston Common

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank you so much callanoj. I totally fell in love with the city because it reminded me so much of home and I could totally picture myself living there, but I don't reckon I could deal with the winters, brrr!!!! But it was a magnificient city and one you should be very proud of. I've decided that I'm a Red Sox fan now :)

I did make it to Cambridge on the last day I was there, but my camera had run out of battery power and I couldn't take any more pictures. But it was simply stunning over there. The churches left me speechless

#10 ·
Did you get to go to a Red Sox game?
The aerial shots are from the 50th floor of the Prudential Tower. It was a very good observation deck (called the Skywalk) and was blantantly touristy, but had some really good info about Boston and American immigration.

Does John Hancock have an observation deck as well?

Couldn't make it to a Red Sox, but would've loved to. Hopefully next time I visit your beautiful city I will

#14 ·
Very nice.

#20 ·
"Went to Boston this past week for my birthday just for the sake of going there and seeing it. It is an amazing city and the week I spent there just flew by. Of all the American cities I've been to, this one reminded me the most of Melbourne."

My friend from Melbourne said that about Philly. Either way I would say its a compliment.
My friends from Boston say that Sydney is more like Boston. I also heard that Toronto is lot like Melbourne. What other US cities have you visited festiboi? Melbourne seems a lot bigger than Boston right?

Boston is a gem especially in the Fall and Spring. Summers are relatively quiet.

#21 · (Edited)
My friend from Melbourne said that about Philly. Either way I would say its a compliment.
My friends from Boston say that Sydney is more like Boston. I also heard that Toronto is lot like Melbourne. What other US cities have you visited festiboi? Melbourne seems a lot bigger than Boston right?

Boston is a gem especially in the Fall and Spring. Summers are relatively quiet.
Totally agree; it is a gem of a city. Don't know how I'd take to the winters though, lol.

Thus far I've been to Chicago, Los Angeles (lived there for three years), Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, and of course, Boston. I would say that Seattle was the closest in feel to Melbourne, with the more cultured and sophisticated feel, the weather, building styles, and infrastructure, and Boston being similar too. Melbs is certainly larger than both of them though. I'm dying to make it to Philadelphia at some point; heard it's a great city. Would like to make it to Toronto too.

LA reminds me a lot of Sydney actually; maybe not in the CBD, but in the beach communities, suburbs, and the attitudes of people.

What is with all the Dunkin' Donuts in New England?? Granted, they were okay, but it's almost like an obcession. However, I really liked Friendly's and their sundaes, yum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.