SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GOT THIS FROM COASTWEEK. AM SURPRISED MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS NOT HIGHLIGHTED THIS.

African Development Bank funding Mombasa-Mariakani highway

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- The African Development Bank (AfDB) said Thursday it has approved 123 million U.S. dollar loan for a key highway upgrading project in Kenya’s coastal region to facilitate regional integration in East Africa.

A statement from the AfDB received here said the African Development Fund (ADF) loan is for the Mombasa-Mariakani road project and will reduce import/ export costs, thus improving the region’s global competitiveness

"The project consists of the dualization of a 41.7-kilometer stretch of the Mombasa-Mariakani Highway with flyovers, bus bays, service roads, truck parking, pedestrian foot bridges, walkways, street lighting and associated soft components," it said.

The road project is a key import/export gateway and an important section of the Northern Corridor (NC), which links the port of Mombasa in Kenya with the land-linked eastern and central African countries of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC

With increasingly constrained capacity due to traffic volumes largely dominated by heavy trucks, the road experiences persistent congestion that hinders access to the main sea port of Mombasa.

The project will be co-financed by KfW of Germany, European Investment Bank and the Africa Infrastructure Trust Fund.

"Efficient transportation and movement of people and goods resulting from the intervention will spur economic development in the area and beyond," AfDB said.

The Bank said the road project will also improve port efficiency, and complements the Bank’s past operations in Kenya, in particular, and the region at large.

INDEED IF THERE IS ANY CRUCIAL PROJECTS I HAVE BEEN YEARNING TO SEE THEM TAKE OFF, ITS THIS ONE TOGETHER WITH LIGHTS-KIKAMBALA, AIR-PORT-CHANGAMWE RD ABOUT (which we hope will take off any moment) and of course, DONGO KUNDU....

With these, Mombasa should have wide spanning wings to fly higher

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Trucks held up in traffic at Miritini on the Mombasa-Mariakani road. The road is set for an upgrade to dual carriage

With scenes like above I am sure most of these businessmen would have been happy to pay toll than get stuck in traffic like that. They could have constructed this 20 years ago. That would have saved the whole region a lot of money

·
Registered
6,383 Posts

^^ With pictures like this, this road should be built exactly like Thika Road into Nairobi. It should have at least 4, 3 and 2 lanes on each side as it gets away from the city. And it should continue with the 2 lanes each side into Nairobi and on to Nakuru, Kisumu, and Eldoret.​

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Impressive, got to ask though "Where does the current dual carriage end?" Shouldn't the works then be "that point to mariakani?

·
"Structures don't lie" on
782 Posts
Impressive, got to ask though "Where does the current dual carriage end?" Shouldn't the works then be "that point to mariakani?
Remember they also want to incooperate grade seperate junctions and I also heard there is a proposal for the pavement for the two lanes headed towards Nairobi to be rigid (concrete)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Kenya, AfDB ink Sh10.4bn deal for dual carriageway​

Treasury Secretary Henry Rotich on Friday signed a Sh10.4 billion concessionary loan with the Africa Development Bank (AfDB) to finance the expansion of 41km Mombasa-Mariakani road to dual carriageway.

The project is part of measures being implemented to ease traffic flow from the port of Mombasa to landlocked states in the region. An estimated 4,000 trucks use the road daily, causing massive traffic in Mombasa and delaying shipment of goods to Nairobi and other destinations in the East African region.

The Infrastructure ministry is also mobilising funds to expand the 6.4km Moi International Airport/Port Reitz access road to a dual carriageway.

The port of Mombasa serves Kenya and landlocked states of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, DR Congo and South Sudan. Traders from these countries have frequently criticised Kenya for delays and high cost of cargo haulage.

The Kenya National Highways Agency (KeNHA) estimates that the project that will cost an approximate Sh24.5 billion and will take three years to complete.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Kenya--AfDB-ink-Sh10-4b-deal-for-dual-carriageway/-/539552/2726310/-/hu5uxtz/-/index.html

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
With this road being the main gateway into mombasa, I would have hoped that they would have made it at the very least a 3x3 road.. but I guess i'll take it.

I'm glad that the transport infrastructure in Mombasa is finally, and belatedly being seriously upgraded

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
With this road being the main gateway into mombasa, I would have hoped that they would have made it at the very least a 3x3 road.. but I guess i'll take it.

I'm glad that the transport infrastructure in Mombasa is finally, and belatedly being seriously upgraded
If it was 3x3 you would have said why not make it 4x4?

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
What configuration is called 3X3, three lanes on three carriages?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If it was 3x3 you would have said why not make it 4x4?
Nope, 3x3 is in my opinion, the least amount of lanes needed in this stretch of road, if we are to have a truly traffic "decongesting" road. Part of my reasoning was to have 2 local lanes (one on each side) and 4 dedicated express lanes for traffic going into Kenya and beyond. Additionally, a lane closure (due to an accident) on a 4 lane highway is a lot more detrimental than one on a 6 lane highway, therefore at the very least we can ensure the traffic flow relatively smoothly if that happens.

Mind you, this is a city with a metro population of 1+ million and one of the busiest container terminals on the continent. We need to allow for a smooth movement of these people and goods as we can, and band aid actions are prolonging the inevitable congestion, just a few years down the line

What configuration is called 3X3, three lanes on three carriages?
Fine 3+3.. or even better.. a 1+2+2+1

Reactions: Arzedu

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nope, 3x3 is in my opinion, the least amount of lanes needed in this stretch of road, if we are to have a truly traffic "decongesting" road. Part of my reasoning was to have 2 local lanes (one on each side) and 4 dedicated express lanes for traffic going into Kenya and beyond. Additionally, a lane closure (due to an accident) on a 4 lane highway is a lot more detrimental than one on a 6 lane highway, therefore at the very least we can ensure the traffic flow relatively smoothly if that happens.

Mind you, this is a city with a metro population of 1+ million and one of the busiest container terminals on the continent. We need to allow for a smooth movement of these people and goods as we can, and band aid actions are prolonging the inevitable congestion, just a few years down the line

Fine 3+3.. or even better.. a 1+2+2+1
You are truly one level-headed bloke. I like your reasoning.

·
Registered
13,604 Posts
800 houses marked for demolition
Daily Nation

Public institutions, churches, residential houses and perimeter walls are among 820 structures that will be demolished to pave the way for the construction of a six-lane dual-carriage highway from Mombasa to Mariakani.

The National Land Commission needs to acquire 25 hectares of land before the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) begins the Sh22 billion project by the middle of next year.

The highways authority yesterday held meetings with residents of Mazeras to set up a committee that will address compensation issues.

“We have received Sh10 billion from African Development Bank to build the 11kms Mombasa-Jomvu section. We are in talks with German Development Bank for the funding of the remaining part of the road,” said Charles Obuon, the project coordinator.

He told residents at Kaliang’ombe chief’s office the agency is focusing on the people who will be affected by the expansion plan to avoid unnecessary delays since the tendering process has already begun.

Mr Obuon said KeNHA surveyors are verifying the list of the affected residents, and thereafter the value of their property would be announced.

He said people who put up structures on road reserves after July 30 last year would not be compensated.

Reactions: samounde
1 - 20 of 173 Posts