SkyscraperCity banner

3841 - 3860 of 3861 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
If Kenyans can't be trusted to obey traffic laws, the government should do whatever they have to.
If it's a choice between people speeding and dying/killing others vs the inconvenience of speed bumps, the speed bumps are better.
We pay law enforcers for a reason. No one, no where in the world, follows laws because they are inherently good people. They follow the law because there are consequences for breaking them. Do you feel there's consequences for breaking the law in Kenya? I certainly don't. If speed bumps are a solution to you, then prepare for speed bumps every kilometre of the Thika Super Highway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Have you guys seen that small Kenyan company given the contract to maintain this highway, They are destroying the highway (Service lanes) by laying a fresh layer of gravel + tar on the service lanes and then letting vehicles drive on it for the loose chipping to be natural thrown off the road (Kenyan Style) ..
The service lanes were still in very good condition, but now they look really ugly, in some parts that new layer has already come out... Its a tragedy whats happening.

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
124 Posts
Have you guys seen that small Kenyan company given the contract to maintain this highway, They are destroying the highway (Service lanes) by laying a fresh layer of gravel + tar on the service lanes and then letting vehicles drive on it for the loose chipping to be natural thrown off the road (Kenyan Style) ..
The service lanes were still in very good condition, but now they look really ugly, in some parts that new layer has already come out... Its a tragedy whats happening.

Little-known Debroso wins Sh1bn Thika highway maintenance deal

A little-known construction company has been awarded a Sh1 billion contract to maintain a section of the Nairobi- Thika Highway.

The Sh31 billion road under the control of the Kenya National Highways Authority (Kenha) will now be managed by Debroso Construction Company Ltd.

The 12-lane, 40km thoroughfare between Nairobi and Thika town was expected to ease traffic in the capital and was constructed by three Chinese companies: China Wu Yi, Sinohydro and Sheng Li.

Debroso will be expected to keep the Nairobi-Ruiru section of the highway under a 24-hour surveillance for two years doing repairs, according to tender details made public by Kenha.

The mandate of the company extends to other feeder roads of the section of the highway that leads to the Nairobi central business district.
Also Read

Kenha had earlier said a contractor given the job would be penalised if the road is not maintained at required standards. The latest award comes amid mounting concerns that the cost of building and maintaining new roads has breached earlier limits set by the government. Infrastructure and Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia warned in 2016 that road firms that bid for up to Sh300 million per kilometre to build new roads would have to do with prices of between Sh90 million and Sh100 million.

An assessment by Business Daily of ongoing road projects across the country shows a majority of the crucial infrastructural projects have breached the ideal cost ceilings.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/economy/Littleknown-Debroso-wins-Sh1bn-Thika-highway-/3946234-5310048-x9kqo3z/index.html

Clearly that company has no capacity to for that contract..i had seen people complaining about the work on the service lane On twitter [email protected] app

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
we are back to cowboy contractors due to corruption. I fear for this "superhighway" each year. Kibaki legacy will be downgraded by this government.

·
Registered
420 Posts
In the pic, Thats exactly what I was referring to, They are taking a perfectly good road and then adding that garbage and it ends up looking like a road that was built 20 years ago!

You see that smooth surface on your right? That's how the road condition is/was before they added the layer you see on the left side.... And then 1 week later, the new layer chips away and the road ends up looking like in the first picture above....

This shows how this company is not even doing repairs, they have decided to create non-existent problems then pretent to be providing a solution and then footing the taxpayers a bill for every meter/kilometer they did that nonsense.. I won't be surprised if I hear they are being paid the per km price of constructing a new road for that crap they are putting on the road.

Someone in the comments of that tweet asked a very good question/suggestion.... "why should we not give this contract to maintain all new roads to NYS ....."

NYS have the skills, they have the capacity i.e all the heavy equipment needed, they are already government employees (So the only additional payment will be allowances).... Right now NYS basically do nothing that significantly contributes to nation building...This will be a perfect way to put their skills to good use.

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
124 Posts
KENHA is supposd to have well skilled Inhouse Engineers and consultants to suoervise these kinds of works....Alas too bad

·
Mnadhimu Mkuu
124 Posts
The same deals were at play in the construction of the road linking Mbagathi Road to Upper Hill....some shady company called Tosha Construction was given that huge project...a company that did not have any experience for that massive project.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You would think after more than 10 years of 'learning' under Chinese led construction projects in Kenya, we would have learnt everything from the bottom-up on how to run and do mega projects, or even the small projects but with similar quality of workmanship.

·
Mkenya daima
1,240 Posts
Seems like the A2 - Eastern bypass Junction interchange is about to start.... They have put two mabati sites.. all painted with Kenha branding... one seems to be the construction site area (blue) while the other seems like site houses area (green)... seems like they want to do the blue loop..

anyone with more info?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Seems like the A2 - Eastern bypass Junction interchange is about to start.... They have put two mabati sites.. all painted with Kenha branding... one seems to be the construction site area (blue) while the other seems like site houses area (green)... seems like they want to do the blue loop..

anyone with more info?

It was to be done? That would be great. Or was it one of those furnitures eaten during initial construction? Out of the 21 Foot bridges that were planned & budgeted for, only 12 or 13 were built. The rest were eaten.

·
Kenyan stakeholder
188 Posts
I accessed ORR through Thika Road, coming from town direction recently. The new overpass design has really cleared the traffic jam that used to be there. It was past 4 pm and entry and exit was smooth. Some work still ongoing at the entry into ORR, I assume it is for the bus park. Unfortunately the buses heading towards Thika Direction that used to have a stop next to GSU are now parking along the side of the highway.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I accessed ORR through Thika Road, coming from town direction recently. The new overpass design has really cleared the traffic jam that used to be there. It was past 4 pm and entry and exit was smooth. Some work still ongoing at the entry into ORR, I assume it is for the bus park. Unfortunately the buses heading towards Thika Direction that used to have a stop next to GSU are now parking along the side of the highway.
They are still working on the exit and entry from the new overpass to the old service lanes towards the direction of Garden city.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why don't they construct a BRT stop while they are it with the footbridge column. :lol:
I have learnt one thing. Such things don't happen because SOMEONE has to EAT later on. Its not like they don't know. Its intentional so that a separate contract is issued later which might even lead to those pillars being demolished?? This is Kenya.

3841 - 3860 of 3861 Posts