SkyscraperCity banner

3581 - 3600 of 3939 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
But again looking at the example of Thika rd before and after or even eastern bypass where estates like utawala and ruai started expanding very fast.. The 4000 will be by far outnumbered by double or triple the number of vehicles of that will be added along that route.. Isinya , Kisaju, Kyumvi will now be part of greatet Nairobi as people start moving into those sides and even creating new sattelite towns...
Not forgetting traffic emanating from Mavoko,Lukenya and literally Machakos town

·
Registered
204 Posts
But again looking at the example of Thika rd before and after or even eastern bypass where estates like utawala and ruai started expanding very fast.. The 4000 will be by far outnumbered by double or triple the number of vehicles of that will be added along that route.. Isinya , Kisaju, Kyumvi will now be part of greatet Nairobi as people start moving into those sides and even creating new sattelite towns...
In the next census Mavoko constituncy could be the new Ruiru with almost half a million residents or more.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Btw Mami wota,when on Mombasa road,let’s say after Athi River town,until Machakos town and upto Konza ,on both sides huge and huge vast lands are bare and too me,real estate would thrive in such compared to how we are eating up agricultural lands of Kiambu and Murang’a,i wonder why investors are shying away from there and if it’s a matter of trees and nature,with proper planning ,green spaces can be incorporated perfectly since it bare and actually flat.Is that it’s part of the national park or what?to me i’d rather have Nairobi grow southwards other than into almost Nyeri and Naivasha

·
Registered
691 Posts
True there's a lot of good land those sides. Problem is water and roads. That whole area from Athi River rarely has piped water. Few feeder roads are paved and of course there's wealth distribution factor. Then the traffic. Maybe, when the greater southern bypass is done that area will open up.

Agricultural land close to a city is bound to eaten up by real estate eventually.
Btw Mami wota,when on Mombasa road,let’s say after Athi River town,until Machakos town and upto Konza ,on both sides huge and huge vast lands are bare and too me,real estate would thrive in such compared to how we are eating up agricultural lands of Kiambu and Murang’a,i wonder why investors are shying away from there and if it’s a matter of trees and nature,with proper planning ,green spaces can be incorporated perfectly since it bare and actually flat.Is that it’s part of the national park or what?to me i’d rather have Nairobi grow southwards other than into almost Nyeri and Naivasha

·
Registered
691 Posts
The fact that obvious design issues like this one aren't being addressed tells me that the BRT component of this road was probably abandoned. There are no renderers for stations, no mention of the commencement date and not a single BRT bus has been procured. Very disappointing because the govt could easily have insisted that CRBC do the BRT corridor as part of the project since they will make huge profits from it.

·
Mkenya daima
1,546 Posts
I
The fact that obvious design issues like this one aren't being addressed tells me that the BRT component of this road was probably abandoned. There are no renderers for stations, no mention of the commencement date and not a single BRT bus has been procured. Very disappointing because the govt could easily have insisted that CRBC do the BRT corridor as part of the project since they will make huge profits from it.
I think KenHA here was overruled and given directives only to spearhead implementation with minimal say in the design... If you look at Lot C (James - Rironi), there is a very clear and wide BRT reserve maintained there... But coming to Lot A and B it's like they completely killed the dream for a Gold standard BRT the moment they left the provisions out of the desing meaning even if it comes much later, it will have to be like a normal bus just like on of the guy commented on the tweet...

BRT needs stations at various intervals, BRT needs an express pass without need for crossing various u-turns and waiting for rounderbouts to clear.. Then the area that is totally compromised for BRT is Westy section upto ABR where Expressway + A8 merged to form a wide (4x4) highway without even a barrier between the 2 roads.. here BRT would mean the busses will come very smoothly from Kangemi, then when they reach ABC they are merged into the already constrained 2 lanes of A8 (Remember at this section there is even no provision for service lanes... )

Just to put it into perspective, see below the designs for Wu-Yi section from ABC to Kangemi vs CRBC section from ABC to Westy

Jame Gichuru - Kangemi section : (2+3+2+3+2) = 12 lanes in total..

ABC - Westy (4 x 4) combined section..
This will definately remain a permanent bottleneck like the Pangani tunnel... Esepcailly given that there will be a toll booth not too far from there plus the huge traffic joining or leaving both James Gichuru and Redhill link road which will create a trail of traffic jam all the way from Kangemi to CBD... Sooner than later CRBC will just create a barrier to separate the A8 & EXPRESSWAY traffics and this will even worsen the traffic for A8 and the BRT if it will be there in the first place..

Honestly speaking, FAILURE TO PLAN IS PLANING TO FAIL

·
Mkenya daima
1,546 Posts
I think there is an opportunity at this overpass in the future to bring Nyayo & Bunyala rd traffic here by creating a wider and better interchange for the u-turn traffic. then bring down the 2 roundabouts... I hope that won't be in contravention with the contract clause of not developing a competing alternative.... If MOST of the rounderbouts and u-turns can go, then this project will be a win win for both Hustlers and Elites and even the future BRT will not be very compromised...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I once heard that most of the land on this stretch belongs to one of those govt parastatal cement companies. I think East Africa Portland. Also part of it is a national park or something. A land agent who knows the area told me to never buy land there. Not sure. This could be the hindrance to developers.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think there is an opportunity at this overpass in the future to bring Nyayo & Bunyala rd traffic here by creating a wider and better interchange for the u-turn traffic. then bring down the 2 roundabouts... I hope that won't be in contravention with the contract clause of not developing a competing alternative.... If MOST of the rounderbouts and u-turns can go, then this project will be a win win for both Hustlers and Elites and even the future BRT will not be very compromised...

View attachment 971804
You should be working for Kenha. You have brilliant ideas. The engineers at Kenha are a joke if they allowed this blunder to happen.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts
I once heard that most of the land on this stretch belongs to one of those govt parastatal cement companies. I think East Africa Portland. Also part of it is a national park or something. A land agent who knows the area told me to never buy land there. Not sure. This could be the hindrance to developers.
The Kapiti plains are a no go zone. Wildlife migratory corridors and livestock research. Not seeing how that will change unless you kill off the Nairobi National Park.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

View attachment 971804
I thought the future is now. Now that they are building this road is the time to make this right.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ideally, it should have been that way. But we have to wait until later when a proper BRT system implemented. Let's hope it can be done in 5 years because the works that will need to be done are considerable. Many roads including this one have not been optimized for BRT. We can only hope that the next govt will be more professional and intentional. Until then, we should view this expressway as just that; an expressway, not a transit solution.
I thought the future is now. Now that they are building this road is the time to make this right.

·
Mkenya daima
1,546 Posts
I think sooner than later developers will move there in masses coz of the infrastructure and affordable land.... But most of it is govt or parastatal land.. so it's very ideal for PPP especially on affordable housing project..

·
Mkenya daima
1,546 Posts
Actually many guys have been conned along that corridor... unless it's a government backed project, for private developers especaially small scale you will be conned easily..

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Isinya , Kisaju, Kyumvi are already part of greater Nairobi are contribute to the crazy traffic along Mombasa rd. However I don't think they will see drastic increase in population because they are still far flung places and few will be willing to cover that commuter mileage daily if commuting to CBD. It will expensive to fuel your vehicle on top of paying a toll fee. Kitengela itself experiences mad traffic leave alone getting to Isinya or Kisaju. However there might be population increase in places like Syokimau they may see more residential properties specifically apartments coming up since its nearer CBD.

But with more roads being built everywhere, increase in population tends to be spread out accross the city because people have more options. During Thika road, that was the first major investment that drew people from places like Rongai to settle along Thika road to avoid traffic.

·
"white man's magic"
668 Posts
True!
If 10,000 cars use the road below today and 4,000 of them are the rich that will use the Expressway, that means there will be 4,000 fewer cars causing a jam below so the hustlers below will benefit. I know that is a very basic/archaic way of looking at it but it is a plus for everyone. But let us also not assume there aren't better ways this whole space could have been utilized. Just talking about the Expressway by the way
This is so wrong man

3581 - 3600 of 3939 Posts