SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I decided to make a thread in the urban showcase forum. The photos are all shot by me and hopefully you will all enjoy them :) Everyone knows the capital of Denmark (wonderfull Copenhagen :eek:kay:), but Aarhus is less famous, though it has a lot to offer. It's a young vibrant city full of happy people :lol:. In scandinavia it's known as "The smiling city" and "The capital of Jutland".

Aarhus municipality has about 320.000 inhabitants and greater Aarhus/Aarhus metropolitan area/East Jutland metropolitan area has 1.2 million inhabitants.

...enjoy, my friends :)..and please feel free to ask, if you have any questions. :)

All photos taken by Jimmy John Antonsen :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Does Aarhus have a "must see"?

From the pics it looks like a city with a good quality of life though.....could see myself living there :lol: If only I spoke any Scandinavian language I would move up north....

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^ Aarhus has several "must see", but I guess right now the "must see" is the new Olafur Eliasson's Masterpiece "Your rainbow panorama" on the roof of the Danish art museum ARoS :) Actually, there was an article about the rainbow in New York Times the other day. :)

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx. for your comments, guys :)

Nice! Does Århus mean 'year-house'?
No, before and during the Middle Ages Aarhus was known as Áróss. It is a compound of the two words "ār", genitive of ā ("river", Modern Danish å) and "ōss" ("mouth", Modern Danish munding). The name originates from the city's location around the mouth of the stream Aarhus Å (Aarhus river). :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
^^ Aarhus has several "must see", but I guess right now the "must see" is the new Olafur Eliasson's Masterpiece "Your rainbow panorama" on the roof of the Danish art museum ARoS :) Actually, there was an article about the rainbow in New York Times the other day. :)
To be honest, the only real must see I remember of Aarhus was Den Gamle By, and maybe the Moesgard if you count the suburbs. Your pictures are very nice but Aarhus seemed to me to be a nice place to live rather than a really interesting place to visit. Nothing to be ashamed about but there's a reason it's less famous than Copenhagen. ;)

·
EU citizen
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest, the only real must see I remember of Aarhus was Den Gamle By, and maybe the Moesgard if you count the suburbs. Your pictures are very nice but Aarhus seemed to me to be a nice place to live rather than an really interesting place to visit. Nothing to be ashamed about but there's a reason it's less famous than Copenhagen. ;)
You are quiet right my friend :)...Aarhus is less famous than Copenhagen and that's okay, cause Cph is the capital and bigger :) Aarhus is growing fast and has changed a lot the last 10 years. It is a big and important city in Scandinavia, but it is by no means a world city and that's also ok :) I guess we have 3 or 4 "must see" in Aarhus: the art museum ARoS with Your rainbow panorama" on the roof, Den gamle by (museum called "The old town"), the large cathedral and finally Moesgaard museum as you say (They are building a hole new and much larger building instead of the old one, so the museum will be closed for two years)

Thanks for you input :)

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
aarhusforever said:
No, before and during the Middle Ages Aarhus was known as Áróss. It is a compound of the two words "ar", genitive of a ("river", Modern Danish å) and "oss" ("mouth", Modern Danish munding). The name originates from the city's location around the mouth of the stream Aarhus Å (Aarhus river). :)
Ah, I see, I thought year-house was a strange name :laugh:

It looks a very pleasant place to live, I've never been there, only CPH and Odense in Denmark.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts