SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Cross post from pacific Highway thread

Yep, a bypass of a bypass. Also happened at Bangalow, Nambucca Heads and Telegraph Point, along with deviations at Swan Creek and Warrell Creek. Probably are others, too.
Made me think, where else have we got a a bypass of a bypass?
Below are those off the top of my head, sure there'e more others can name.

Not including interim connections (eg. Beaconsfield VIC connection doesn't count, even though it was 20 years interim until the Pakenham bypass came about.).
Can include anything that's either distinctly separate, or where the original bypass was intended to be the ultimate route. (so Bangalow NSW does count)

Can include those bypasses not built yet.

WA:
Mandurah
Bunbury
Bussellton

SA:
Reynella

Tas:
Hadspen

VIC:
Geelong
Frankston
Cragieburn
Elphinstone

NSW:
Bangalow, Nambucca Heads and Telegraph Point
Breresfield (I'm talking new England Hwy bypass, then bypassed by Hunter Expressway, although ironically part of it still forms the interim Pacific Motorway route)
Camden
And the ultimate white elephant, Calga-Somersby

·
Rabid Furry Skier
3,372 Posts
^ Not quite a bypass, but in Victoria the Western Freeway between Melton and Bacchus Marsh was deviated so you have this long orphan dual carriageway road that is still accessible to the local traffic for the area.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Whilst that does fit in with the general scope of this thread, the cases I was specifically asking about, were those which had an original route, then a bypass, then later on another bypass around it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And further south, if you look around say Beerwah you can see "Old Gympie Rd" in the west, "Steve Irwin Way" in the centre and the current Bruce Highway in the east.
Steve Irwin Way actually counts as two at Beerwah. Beerwah Parade was part of the mainline until the current Steve Irwin Way alignment was opened in 1973.

Bypass of a bypass of a bypass of a bypass.... Sounds a wee bit meta.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
NSW:
Breresfield (I'm talking new England Hwy bypass, then bypassed by Hunter Expressway, although ironically part of it still forms the interim Pacific Motorway route)
There's lots of other bypassed bypasses that aren't freeways and don't necessarily clear the whole town. eg also on the New England Hwy, Maitland shifted to the railway reservation before the Hunter Expwy bypassed it wholly. But up at Scone they moved the highway by one block east and now it has an external bypass.

Up at Armidale you have the situation which is kind of uncommon in NSW and Queensland where the highway is put on the town grid, is shifted around a bit, and then an external bypass was built.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Cross post from pacific Highway thread

Made me think, where else have we got a a bypass of a bypass?
Below are those off the top of my head, sure there'e more others can name.

Not including interim connections (eg. Beaconsfield VIC connection doesn't count, even though it was 20 years interim until the Pakenham bypass came about.).
Can include anything that's either distinctly separate, or where the original bypass was intended to be the ultimate route. (so Bangalow NSW does count)

Can include those bypasses not built yet.

WA:
Mandurah
Bunbury
Bussellton

SA:
Reynella

Tas:
Hadspen

VIC:
Geelong
Frankston
Cragieburn
Elphinstone

NSW:
Bangalow, Nambucca Heads and Telegraph Point
Camden
And the ultimate white elephant, Calga-Somersby
A few more: Bulahdelah (circa 1966, 2013), Port Macquarie (circa 1961, 2015ish), Maclean (1966, 2020). In years to come, Nowra (inner bypass 1980/81, outer?).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Woolgoolga NSW has recently been bypassed for the second time. The original Pacific Highway used to go along River St, past the Sikh temple, pub, hardware store and a few other shops known as 'Top Town'. A bypass in a cutting to the west was created, so the service stations and motels moved just north of the roundabout. A few decades later the bypass was bypassed further west. The service stations are now going out of business, although a Woolworths has taken advantage and opened on the old highway.

·
Registered
134 Posts

More abandoned corridor than abandoned road, but nice to see a few remnant references to the NSW Department of Main Roads still around

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Another one I missed - Wodonga.
And I'm not talking the Hume, but the Murray Valley Highway to the east - got bypassed twice, but the more recent bypass known as "Bandiana Link" never got the B400 route (instead got called B410)

·
Moon Transit
1,938 Posts
We had a more comprehensive list in a post somewhere.
Includes Pacific Hwy at Tumbulgum, Coolangatta - Tweed Heads
Currumbin - Thrower Drive bypassed by GC Hwy, bypassed by Pacific Mwy
Caloundra - Bypassed by Nicklin Way, bypassed by Kawana Way Link
Mackay - Glenella Connection Rd Bypass will soon by bypassed
Brisbane - bypassed by Storey Brige, bypassed later by the Gateway,
Numerous re-alignments of the Hume/Pacific/Bruce Hwy that are bypassed by the motorway,

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yes, Brisbane had a few iterations -
Victoria St,
bypassed by Storey Bridge,
then bypassed again by Caption Cook Bridge / ICB
then later by the Gateway
then later again, the inner bit bypassed by the Clem7.

Melbourne, you has St Kilda Rd bypassed by Kings Way / St kilda Junction, then again by the Monash Fwy / Alexandra Ave, then by Citylink tunnels.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
A couple more regional Vic ones.
Horsham, (outer bypass planned but no timeframe as yet)
Wangaratta
Ballarat (original road in the city centre is now a pedestrian mall)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Woolgoolga NSW has recently been bypassed for the second time. The original Pacific Highway used to go along River St, past the Sikh temple, pub, hardware store and a few other shops known as 'Top Town'. A bypass in a cutting to the west was created, so the service stations and motels moved just north of the roundabout. A few decades later the bypass was bypassed further west. The service stations are now going out of business, although a Woolworths has taken advantage and opened on the old highway.
Not far from there, at Corindi, Coral St was the original highway and was bypassed twice.
Same with Macksville, originally Wallace St. Same again Coopernook.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Gold Coast also cancelled bypass back 1960s my deaf friends his father was lived near Robina use name Gold Coast Freeways almost 48 kilometres did not same one route, we are use today .... it’s actually further west probably few kilometres away from this present days.

It’s only two kilometres is survive near Movieworld between Helensvale local road use access for Movieworld
it’s same one as route 1960s plan they’re planned but few kilometres north Hope Island was thought use be past.

Dreamworld can seen if you toward southbound left there bridge still there since 1974 is only one bridge same one as route 1960s plan.

It’s actually they’re were early plan for 48 kilometres only leave near 16 kilometres complete early 1980s later they’re use them until massive project 8 lanes rid them all over again new 8 lanes but two kilometres still remain once use northbound Helensvale to Movieworld.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts