SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absoluteworld is here. In one of the finest residential communities in the world. Perhaps the finest. The result of an international competition, with dozens of brilliant submissions, the 56 storey absoluteworld is ready to open.

The GTA has never seen an international icon like it.
So it's going to be 56 stories and looks like there is no podium. No retail, no nothing. That's disappointing, compared to the other renders it showed some kind of base. Also in my opinion this building is getting uglier and uglier with each rendering that comes out. I really think people voted for the wrong building.

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Yup. The good news is it's a bit taller than we had thought, the bad news is everything else--no podium, no retail, etc. Should fit in well with the rest of MCC.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Waterloo_Guy said:
Yup. The good news is it's a bit taller than we had thought, the bad news is everything else--no podium, no retail, etc. Should fit in well with the rest of MCC.
That is an odd thing to say considering almost all of the recent developments in MCC have podiums and retail.

Actually, I think this tower is better off without a podium, or at least have one that is small like in the original design.

Actually, there IS still podium of sorts with space retail under this tower, even if it is not directly connected to the building (if you look at the site plan, you'll see what I mean).

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love this tower. It's just that MCC needs to be more engaged with the pedestrian, and this kind of thing doesn't help.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
According to FM over at UT (Correct me if I'm wrong) but the townhouses facing Hurontario may be switched to retail uses. I like the new design better. More natural feel to it, and I'm glad the podium was ditched. I find podiums on circular towers always destroy the beauty of the tower. I also hope they tint the glass slightly blue or green too. I think a pure white tower wouldn't work as well.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It's better off without a podium... a typical one, anyway. I think a podium would compromise this tower.

Not every tall building needs to be anchored with at grade retail and 3-10 storey streetwalls.... if done properly, it will treat the street just fine without.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It looks to me that the base is surrounded by founatains in the front and trees in the back. That will be way better than any podium. A podium with townhouses or retail would compromise the design.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you'll be able to see it from toronto i think too. i mean u can already see the city centre, but you'll really be able to see this tower when it's done.

·
I See Skyscrapers
2,083 Posts
Just read the Star condo section. There is a huge ad for Absolute and it's listed as 50 stories, and shows a podium. Not sure what to think.

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waterloo_Guy said:
Just read the Star condo section. There is a huge ad for Absolute and it's listed as 50 stories, and shows a podium. Not sure what to think.
that would be the old ad that's been in all the papers.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Here's the latest renderings...

courtesy of Alvin of Diaspar over at UT...

It's going on sale tonight at 6pm to the real estate agency community...interest is reportedly high...sales will commence June 3rd to the general public..

1 - 20 of 163 Posts