SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
^ agreed

Dubai on the other hand looked like this in the 80's, this was the main skyline:

ofcourse this was SHZ road in the 80's

^ most of the city was dusty and dirty with no green spaces like Abu dhabi or shiny glass buildings

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Abu dhabi was so much better then Dubai, I found these even earliers pics from early 80's Abu Dhabi from 1982-1984 period. You can still see Abu dhabi had amazing buildings and gardens then.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I heard life in abu dhabi in the 80s was the best for expats because of High salaries, free housing, free cars, cheap grocery, Resturants etc.. Cheap every thing. You saved a lot of money back then.
Free housing and cars?? lol... only if you worked in government jobs.. that too in a senior role.. and ofcourse if you were a full citizen..

I think to myself sometimes, many locals of the present day are selfish and dont place an emphasis on hardwork or dedication.. most are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and think it is fine to look down on poorer expats, including other arabs... Their parents, grandparents were so much better!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Dubai didn't really start building anything until the mid-90's

This is dubai from 1995, Sheikh zayed road

But you forget, they have had the airport, jebel ali port and rashid port for a long time.. also, dubai was always a trading, merchant city.. unlike abu dhabi..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
^ Dubai was very different pre 1990, i think there were only one or two tall buildings, thats it. While Abu dhabi really boomed in the 70's and 80's
Also remember, Abu Dhabi is an island and most of the tall buildings were concentrated around airport road, electra, hamdan and corniche areas... dubai is more spread out, thats why you would generally find only buildings with about 5 floors most of the time..

·
Banned
228 Posts
Free housing and cars?? lol... only if you worked in government jobs.. that too in a senior role.. and ofcourse if you were a full citizen..

I think to myself sometimes, many locals of the present day are selfish and dont place an emphasis on hardwork or dedication.. most are born with a silver spoon in their mouths and think it is fine to look down on poorer expats, including other arabs... Their parents, grandparents were so much better!
Not sure about Dubai, but in Saudi it was common back in the 80's, the only thing you needed was to work for a good company, then you could drive company's car and live in free housing

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Not sure about Dubai, but in Saudi it was common back in the 80's, the only thing you needed was to work for a good company, then you could drive company's car and live in free housing
The 80s are long gone.. and yes if you work for some good private company or a government company. If you are doing crappy jobs or if you are from a poorer country you can forget getting a company car :p

21 - 29 of 29 Posts