Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Est.1919
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWS
ABUJA CITY COMMONWEALTH GAMES BID GETS ANOTHER BOOST

The Abuja City Bid for the hosting rights of the 2014 Commonwealth Games got another boost on Monday when the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Administration announced that it has awarded an $841m (about N107.648b) contract for the construction of a metro rail system, which would be completed in 2012, as a complimentary factor for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Announcing this during the groundbreaking ceremony of the first phase of the project by President Olusegun Obasanjo at the Central Business District, Abuja, as part of the President's Projects Inspection Visit to the FCT, Minister of FCT, Nasir Ahmed el-Rufai, said that when completed, the metro rail system would have the capacity of transporting 20,000 passengers per hour, to any direction in the City.
"Mr President, distinguished ladies and gentlemen, this project is designed to provide adequate coverage for all the satellite towns of the FCT and would provide about 280 kilometres, including national railway and FCT local line," the Minister said.
"The contract value of this project is in excess of $841m (about N107.648b), with a completion date of four years, which is a complimentary factor in our Bid for the Commonwealth Games of 2014".
El-Rufai said that for a start, the project was taking off with a distance of 60 kilometres, which made of Lot One, covering Area 10 Garki, the Central Business District, Wuse District, Utako Motor Park, Jabi Life Camp, Karmo, Gwagwa, Kuba, with a short link to Idu Junction, while Lot Three would cover the Abuja National Stadium Complex, Idu and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.
Performing the ceremony as part of his Projects Inspection Visit to the FCT, President Obasanjo urged all Nigerians to support the Abuja 2014 Bid, as the Federal Government was determined to bring the Games for the first time to the black continent.
The Project will be handled by two contracting firms, Messrs China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) and Messrs CPCS-Transcom International of Canada, and will include Abuja in the league of over 100 cities of the world operating the metro rail system of transportation, which started in London, England in 1863 and Cairo, Egypt in 1987.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
it's good news!though it would be more exhilarating,if only we ve seen some pics of the construction sites.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just what Naija needs is an expensive subway that will break down within a few years after it opens with Chinese-built parts that become obsolete by then. They would do better just to build a simple commuter train service that the people can afford to ride instead of these showpiece projects that end up bankrupting the country in the end. Enough said.

·
Bloody Agent
3,651 Posts
A bit uncalled for Mosi. I think you need to let some steam off and perhaps not post in the ssc|africa (re. Nigerian) forums for a while. I think we have established that the Nigerians can't take constructive criticism well, so perhaps don't give any.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's not an underground metro, but a LIGHT RAIL system. Also, the Chinese are only building the standard guage tracks, and NOT the train cars themselves. I hear some of the cars will be supplied by Bombardier, but in any case, this will be upto the private operators who will operate the rail network.

I urge you to resist your innate misconceptions and judgements, and try to investigate the latest projects rather than rely on your cliched sentiments about Nigerians.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just what Naija needs is an expensive subway that will break down within a few years after it opens with Chinese-built parts that become obsolete by then. They would do better just to build a simple commuter train service that the people can afford to ride instead of these showpiece projects that end up bankrupting the country in the end. Enough said.
Slow down homie, let's keep this site positive...

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
It's not an underground metro, but a LIGHT RAIL system. Also, the Chinese are only building the standard guage tracks, and NOT the train cars themselves. I hear some of the cars will be supplied by Bombardier, but in any case, this will be upto the private operators who will operate the rail network.

I urge you to resist your innate misconceptions and judgements, and try to investigate the latest projects rather than rely on your cliched sentiments about Nigerians.

Very well said thanks a lot!:) Some people just cannot stop concealing their jealousy ...instead they take an enormous pride in ridiculing Nigerian-development ...this only points to their hidden jealousy!
It is nice to know that Bombardier delivers the train cars! Their jets are superb! Any idea when they are sheduled to be delivered?

·
Registered
40,884 Posts

Very well said thanks a lot!:) Some people just cannot stop concealing their jealousy ...instead they take an enormous pride in ridiculing Nigerian-development ...this only points to their hidden jealousy!
It is nice to know that Bombardier delivers the train cars! Their jets are superb! Any idea when they are sheduled to be delivered?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ask the private operators - Good luck, as they haven't been identified yet!

It would seem that CPCS Transcom has advised the Nigerian govt. to build the infrastructure (tracks), while the rest is the private sector's concern, as is the trend worldwide. This will result in higher efficiency, and the govt. will only have to worry about the track maintenance itself, sealing it off by wire fence, building the bridges, tackling security, etc. To put it briefly, the Federal Govt. is (and should) provide a conducive environment. In the case of Abuja, once the tracks are built, most probably a consortium consisting of local and foreign investors would express interest in running this potentially very, very profitable urban LRT network. Think about the advertisement revenue potential in and around the trains, besides the passenger fares.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts

·
25,471 Posts
OMG, THIS THREAD IS INFESTED WITH CYNICS TOO. WHY IS IT THAT WHENEVER THERE IS A BIG PROJECT GOING ON IN NIGERIA AND THERE WILL BE PEOPLE LURKING ABOUT TO RUN IT DOWN BEFORE IT EVEN STARTED. DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD NICE TO SEE GREAT DEVELOPMENTS IN OTHER PARTS OF AFRICA INSTEAD OF BEING IN ONE PLACE.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
OMG, THIS THREAD IS INFESTED WITH CYNICS TOO. WHY IS IT THAT WHENEVER THERE IS A BIG PROJECT GOING ON IN NIGERIA AND THERE WILL BE PEOPLE LURKING ABOUT TO RUN IT DOWN BEFORE IT EVEN STARTED. DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD NICE TO SEE GREAT DEVELOPMENTS IN OTHER PARTS OF AFRICA INSTEAD OF BEING IN ONE PLACE.
he can't really surcease "opposing" the good news,from the entire continent.

158 Posts
well for the people who are positive about the LRt and other Abuja developments I have two newspaper articles in Nova Scotia, Canada published about me in regards to my trip to Abuja for the commonwealth games committee.

http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=47573&sc=49

please make a comment to the article if you like . Abuja 2014 certainly can use the support.

jim jones AKA paul taylor

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
well for the people who are positive about the LRt and other Abuja developments I have two newspaper articles in Nova Scotia, Canada published about me in regards to my trip to Abuja for the commonwealth games committee.

http://www.ngnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=47573&sc=49

please make a comment to the article if you like . Abuja 2014 certainly can use the support.

jim jones AKA paul taylor
this piece of news makes me feel good,jones.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts