Expert
21,675 Posts
Courtesy of http://www.nanngronline.com

December 2012

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
To be truthful I dont know what the hell is going on with this project. First they called it a light rail that will connect various parts of the city, but now its a commuter rail that connect zero parts of the city. Looking at google maps the light rail goes to nowhere. imo the government seems more interested in the abuja-kaduna rail line and has overhaul the purpose of this original rail transit. I'm glad the Lagos rail project is still on track unlike this mess.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
To be honest I don't know where people on SSC for example got this Light Rail Fascination from.

Commuter Rail is much more suitable for Metropolitan areas than Light Rail. Light Rail is more suited for concentrated urban areas. So a light rail would be suited for the Abuja City Proper. In fact seeing as how the Commuter Rail does not extend into Maitama/3 Arms etc....a Light Rail could connect the two there. In Gold Coast currently they are doing the same thing...using a conjuction of commuter rail, light rail and bus transit.

I think it would be extremely bizzare to try to connect areas extending into the Abuja Metro with Light Rail.

Commuter Rail is EXTREMELY useful. Especially in a city, without too much spatial constraints. Abuja is not that dense. The benefit of commuter rail is not only the amount of people that it can move (At the appropriate speeds) but it can also double up as a freight network. We do the same thing in Brisbane. Our Commuter Rail is a heavy rail network that moves a lot of shipment and livestock even.

So I am certainly not one of the Light Rail Fanatics. In fact in Brisbane, if you mention Light Rail you will be shot. It has its uses.....but there are specific situations that it is good for.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
I think I know where the Light Rail Terminology might be coming from

Canada!

I believe that if the Line has less frequent stops
Has Right of Way (ROW)
and is not used in conjunction with Freight

Then it can be considered a Legitimate Light Rail. Outside of Canada (and now Nigeria perhaps) you do not really find such Light Rails...in other places such as the US, they usually resemble Trams.....but in Canada they look more like conventional rail.

I know that the Canadians are involved in the Lagos Light Rail.....but I don't know if they are involved in the Abuja Light Rail.

Trams are not Light rail if they do not have Right of Way (Otherwise they are just street vehicles)

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Courtesy of nanngronline.com

This is of a Bridge crossing the Light Rail

AN OVERHEAD BRIDGE ACROSS ABUJA LIGHT RAIL ON THE OUTER NORTHERN EXPRESSWAY NEAR THE BRICK-CITY ESTATE IN ABUJA ON FRIDAY (27/9/13).

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
To be honest I don't know where people on SSC for example got this Light Rail Fascination from.

Commuter Rail is much more suitable for Metropolitan areas than Light Rail. Light Rail is more suited for concentrated urban areas. So a light rail would be suited for the Abuja City Proper. In fact seeing as how the Commuter Rail does not extend into Maitama/3 Arms etc....a Light Rail could connect the two there. In Gold Coast currently they are doing the same thing...using a conjuction of commuter rail, light rail and bus transit.

I think it would be extremely bizzare to try to connect areas extending into the Abuja Metro with Light Rail.

Commuter Rail is EXTREMELY useful. Especially in a city, without too much spatial constraints. Abuja is not that dense. The benefit of commuter rail is not only the amount of people that it can move (At the appropriate speeds) but it can also double up as a freight network. We do the same thing in Brisbane. Our Commuter Rail is a heavy rail network that moves a lot of shipment and livestock even.

So I am certainly not one of the Light Rail Fanatics. In fact in Brisbane, if you mention Light Rail you will be shot. It has its uses.....but there are specific situations that it is good for.
The original concept under El-Rufai (and it was the Abuja Masterplan as well) was a Light Rail system, with several stops within the city itself. It was really pushed when Nigeria was bidding for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but I presume that it was now been placed on the back burner.

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE

FCT Abuja Rail Mass Transit Project Phase (Lots 1&3)

Contractor- M/S China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) Nigeria
Ltd

Contract Sum –US $ 841Million

Contract Award Date–27 May 2007

Contract Commencement Date- May 2009

New Completion date -2015

Scope-Detailed design and construction of 60.67km of standard gauge double
track rail

Progress status:

Signing of Chinese Loan Agreement of $500million

Impact: 430 jobs created

Contractor: M/S Salini Nig. Ltd

Contract Sum: N6,093,230,212, E186,523,176.33

Award Date: 29/01/2002

Commencement: 13thSeptember, 2003

Completion: 2014

Scope of Work:

Roads network of various categories:

Arterials Stot: 7.82 Km

Collectors Stot: 3.98 Km

Locals Stot: 8.92 Km

4 LORRY PARKS

4 BRIDGES

CULVERTS

Box and Pipe Total Length: 1,340 m

Storm Water Underground Drainage System Total Length (PVC+R/C): 46,060 m

1. District Foul Sewer Drainage System Total Length (PVC+R/C): 29,994m

2. Water Supply Distribution Network Total Length: 34,394 m

ELECTRICAL WORKS:

1. 2 Substations 33/11 KV

2. 108 Local Substations 11/0.415 KVA (Transformers)

3. 70.265m of Power Supply Distribution Network

4. 810 Street Lighting Poles

5. 35,471m Street Lighting Network

6. 70,800m of telecommunication ducts

7. 1 mini sewage treatment plant

Progress Status:

Impact of the Project: Provide access to 240 commercial and Industrial Plots and improve the socio-economic wellbeing of the residents of FCC and employment to about 500 Nigerians.

http://fmi.gov.ng/latest/11066/

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Really positive news, assuming we can take the words of politicians to the bank. For far too long, individuals with nefarious motives have sort to stall any progress in this initiative. At a certain stage, it seemed as though construction activities as seen in loose photos, where designed specifically to entertain proverbial delusions. However, recent activities creates hope for optimism as far as delivery is concerned. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
I really don't think there is anything to doubt. Government these days actually do initiate their projects.

You most likely have to worry about them abandoning them, not starting it, if they say they will.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Exactly my sentiment; to clarify, what is the disparity between an abandoned project and one never conceptualised? Frankly, I see no difference!

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
I don't know about Abuja....but I put my money that the Blue Line and Red Line in Lagos will be completed (Certainly!).

In Lagos not only is the Commuter Mass Transit (Something that is definitely required), Lagos being the only Megacity without one etc.

but the Private Sector involvement can always play a very crucial role. Abuja on the other end - IMO can be stalled at any time and might even be dead and buried in a worst case scenario.

but Lagos...I would put my money on that, without any doubt.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Courtesy of Ameen Ibraheem

Jabi (Airport Road)

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
I honestly don't believe that 5% of Abuja doesn't drive. I think this project is a waste of resources and will fall to rot because of low patronage. It's another unnatural 'look we're working' project that isn't based on any real projections. There's tons of them in the country and through out the country's history they always fail. Abuja roads are fairly wide and empty. Moreover the type of industries and activities that will attract commuters really aren't there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I honestly don't believe that 5% of Abuja doesn't drive. I think this project is a waste of resources and will fall to rot because of low patronage. It's another unnatural 'look we're working' project that isn't based on any real projections. There's tons of them in the country and through out the country's history they always fail. Abuja roads are fairly wide and empty. Moreover the type of industries and activities that will attract commuters really aren't there.
I totally disagree

In the early 1980s, a Lagos State Governor by the name Jakande planned a metro rail program for Lagos which had similar population to what Abuja currently has, contract signed work about to be delivered

Then

A military coup erupted in late December 1983 and a new administrator for Lagos was installed. This effectively put an end to the metroline in Lagos. One of the reasons given was that there was enough roads to handle Lagos and that it is a waste of money etc

Tragically no one planned ahead for the growth of Lagos and we ended up paying more in settlements to contractors than the cost of the project itself, yet no metroline until recently

Abuja is the seat of Government and capital city, it deserves a rail line as above and we need to plan ahead for its growth, afterall there is lots of investment going into the city

121 - 140 of 623 Posts