SkyscraperCity banner

141 - 160 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I honestly don't believe that 5% of Abuja doesn't drive. I think this project is a waste of resources and will fall to rot because of low patronage. It's another unnatural 'look we're working' project that isn't based on any real projections. There's tons of them in the country and through out the country's history they always fail. Abuja roads are fairly wide and empty. Moreover the type of industries and activities that will attract commuters really aren't there.
What do you mean? Abuja currently has a HUGE population of poorly-served and underserved commuters daily shutlling in and out from the outlying areas. And it will likely only gets worse.

·
Aviation Expert
1,737 Posts
Abuja roads are not empty at all. Pictures of abujas core may be empty but roads leading into Abuja can be a Lagos type nightmare.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Abuja Station

This is the Station directly next to the WTC. The Main Building will be on the East of the WTC and the Platforms will be on the North of the WTC, this station comes before the National Stadium Station

it is Under Construction

Imagine if the tall buildings in the renders were the WTC, that is pretty much how it is organized on the site.

Reactions: Tegh7

·
Expert
21,675 Posts

·
Student Architect جاري&#15
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
There is a bit of confusion with the Abuja light rail. I have always believed The Abuja light rail has nothing to do with wuse station. Since wuse station is designed for the commuter rail that will run to kaduna. If you look at the last picture towards the bottom, you will see a train and a train station similar to what a "light rail" looks like. And very similar to the one they are building in Lagos. This why I believe the commuter rail is different from the light rail even though the media refers to them as the same project.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
That is not Wuse Station but Abuja Station.

The source where I got the image from Said it was Abuja Station. Wuse Station is not even the same line...it is Lot 1.

·
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Well it's wuse station, you can even see the curve of obasonjo expressway. Wuse station is were the commuter rail to kaduna and NRC terminates, (next to the WTC). Maybe they renamed it but that image is wuse station.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
There definitely is not a light rail...AND a commuter rail.

I wonder if someone in Abuja can go to the WTC site and clarify this information. The renders should be around that site area.

The assumption that it is Wuse, may or may not be right.

·
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
This is another render from a Chinese company that loss the bid. They also have a train station for commuter rail and a separate light rail line located in the same area as the Ccecc render that won the bid.

"New starting point for the new city. Abuja Metro Complex including railroad and light rail transit station, terminal, offices, hotel, department store and shopping center presents new city scenery with and green nature and great history to provide easy transportation"

Notice the curve of obasonjo expressway and the light rail line to the left and the wuse or Abuja station to the right.....two different projects?

http://www.goldenbreaker.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=gallery&wr_id=3

·
Registered
305 Posts
GAR3TH, First of All the Train going to Kaduna is NOT passing through Wuse
The Train passing through Wuse is the Abuja Commuter Rail (or Abuja Light Rail as the Media calls it), the train Station, is on Olusegun Obasanjo Way precisely where the NNPC Mega Station is, which would be demolished and then be replaced with the Station, that is the MAIN Station of the Abuja Commuter Rail
The World Trade Center is also going to have a station near by

Secondly, i do see your point, there is Another Station, there, but am guessing that is for Lot 1B (1A?) of the Abuja Commuter Rail which is not under construction, (only Lot 1A & 3 is ) it is meant to pass through Wuse, Gwarimpa, Garki, Jabi, Jabi II, Ring Road, Karmo So i think the station is for that we have ONLY Abuja Commuter Rail though there is the Abuja Mono Rail also ( We have very little information on that )

BTW, do you know the current Eagle Square is actually a Train Station in the Abuja Master Plan

·
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Thanks for the information but I'm a bit still confused because we have yet to see a proper map of all the rail projects going on in Abuja.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Can someone of authority update the status of this project(thread) from approved to under construction. Construction has been ongoing for a couple of years now. Thanks!

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Here is the Source from where the Renderings of Abuja Station were retrieved.

Abuja, Nigeria (Abuja), also known as the Federal Capital Territory (Federal Capital Territory). Located at the junction of Nigeria, Central and Niger River tributary Gula La River Niger State, Kaduna State, Plateau State and Kewarra state, about 500 kilometers from the former capital, Lagos (lagos), is the country's geographical center.
As Nigeria's first urban light rail construction projects, Abuja suburban railway construction and the rapid development of the Nigerian capital city construction opened a new page. The line length 60.7 km. The works mainly comprise: railway bridge 10 meters of 1226 to extend the highway overpass 7 340 meters of extension, frame bridge

Abuja Station General Plan

1600 square meters, 168 culverts, laying 165 km, paved turnouts 131 groups. Abuja suburban building in Abuja to solve traffic congestion, improve the image of the capital city plays a key role in economic development and urban construction Abuja are in the ascendant, the city with each passing day.

Abuja station perspective

Nigerian capital Abuja station is Station, architectural modeling should fully reflect local characteristics Nigeria, meanwhile, to reflect local economic prosperity and development of modern architecture is best reflected in Nigeria and it shows both the progress and the integration of the world Therefore, through the modernization of body mass, shape, color and materials integrated use, reflecting local history and profound traditional geographical and cultural characteristics, so that the Abuja station is not only modern, advanced transportation venues, while she is in Abuja city and culture, with the Nigerian domain features vividly landmark.

Aerial view of the station in Abuja
Source

·
5,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
See now I'm even more confused. they said that one of the lines on the "light rail" will be 60km (40 miles long). what light rail line is that long? Light rails are design for street to street transport not town to town. The only thing that can be that long is commuter rail. (I live 45 miles from NYC and use the LIRR commuter rail to work and school).

Plus if this "Abuja station" is for the light rail then it's dumb based on the image., it will make sense if it's for commuter rail since you.ll have multiple lines terminating at on main station. Light rail and metro systems do not all terminate at the same station for the last stop, only commuter rails do that. Like the 7 lines of the LIRR that all terminates at new York's penn station.

Like I said the train that is just outside that station look more like a typical light rail, while the Abuja or Wuse station does not look like a light rail terminal, it's more like an end of the line commuter rail station.

Reactions: The Expat

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
The name Light Rail is wrong. But what I have learned from my research is that railway terminology is hardly a science.

Railway terminology is largely contextual. In this instance, it is conveying a certain message. Here a distinction is being made between the heavy usage of say the Abuja-Kaduna Line or the Lagos-Kano Line.

Right or Wrong, I believe that most railway terminology is contextual. This would not be the first example of a railway term that raises eyebrows. But, yes I definitely agree that this should not ordinarily be called a light rail.

There are regional differences between railway terms in parts of Europe, North America, Asia etc and even within countries themselves.

Reactions: Tegh7

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Render Courtesy of CCECC

And Gar3th, there are maps of the Abuja Light Rail. You posted this one yourself. Here I am reposting it again.

This is another Station that I found called the Airport Station (This station is part of Lot3)

In this particular map above, you cannot see it, because it is cut off from the picture, but it is 2 stations after Idu.

Reactions: ekema and Tegh7
141 - 160 of 623 Posts